• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

SJScrambler - Getting Started

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
Find an old pair of crusher corners and cut them up to fit to it and wrap the corner.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Very interesting idea... I have to check it out.

I checked it out... 3/16" wrapped metal around the rear corner is what I really needed... found a company that makes blanks and uncut so I can take what I need... we will see how they look later this week when they show up.

Thanks for the idea!

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Wheel well work... I got tire of walking by and snagging my work clothes on the areas that had been ripped during the removal of the wheel wells.

So, I started to fill in the holes I could (not the actual fender flare holes, the drilled holes from spot welds)... and then cut/fit the idea of the fender.... seems to have worked out well.

cb

20200315_160415_resized.jpg

Holes on the right are filled in as much as I can, and now cutting out the biggest offending section.
20200315_165510_resized.jpg

20200315_165521_resized.jpg

The metal was pretty thin and really just falling apart.

20200315_171610_resized.jpg

Fits up pretty nicely after a ton of trimming.

Final view of the repair.

20200315_182355_resized.jpg

It came out pretty good... I then spot welded it in place as well as had to locate the now missing fender flare hole

20200315_180427_resized.jpg

20200315_180505_resized.jpg

When the flare is in place, you won't see any of this, but I want to know all the thin metal is gone and replaced with good stuff.

More work hopefully this week and onto the other side, which is in about the same shape.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
So I finished up with the last 2 areas... came out pretty nice... it isn't perfect by any stretch, but it is a ton better than when I started and the fender flare fits perfect now (although that is in some serious need of refurbishing as well).

20200316_164853_resized.jpg

20200316_172113_resized.jpg

20200316_172126_resized.jpg

20200316_180019_resized.jpg
This one had to be done in 2 pieces... I tried with one, but the curve just wasn't there ^^.

20200316_181555_resized.jpg
All ground down and finished up... came out pretty sweet.

Trying out the fender flare

20200316_183146_resized.jpg

All buttoned up, now onto the other side

20200316_183409_resized.jpg

You can really see the before/after between this and the finished one

20200316_184305_resized.jpg

cb

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
How long does a weld spot need to cool before you can add another spot right next to it? I imagine you are welding different areas while other areas cool, but can you keep working a section that small until it's finished, or do you need to step away from time to time and let the whole piece cool?

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
How long does a weld spot need to cool before you can add another spot right next to it? I imagine you are welding different areas while other areas cool, but can you keep working a section that small until it's finished, or do you need to step away from time to time and let the whole piece cool?

Yeah, it is hard to put into context how long that takes with just a few pictures.

Basically I cut the area out, make the new piece... then magnets or clamp it in place.
Then like 4-6 tacks to hold it in place... take off the magnets and clamps...

then last night I cut out the other section and started to make the new pieces... come back (a few minutes passed) and add tacks again... 5-10 range... quick little ones, all spaced out.

Go back to bench, open beer and finish making the new patch... go back... get that fitted up.

Then tack some more

Then get the other one all set with clamps/magnets and tack that, grind down other one

Have another beer and wait ;)

Seriously though, it takes a long time if you want to let it cool.
I think I started at like 430 and was done by 7 and that included all the cutting/shaping/grinding and then the wheel well, wheel back on, clean up the parts and push the Jeep over and get it all prepped for the other side for tonight's work

cb

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Thank you. I've got some door cracks I want to repair soon, and I don't want to warp them. :wave:

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Thank you. I've got some door cracks I want to repair soon, and I don't want to warp them. :wave:
Take out the glass! Guess how I learned that 28 years ago on my sister's door. Cardboard, even heavy won't do it even if only doing a spot weld.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Take out the glass! Guess how I learned that 28 years ago on my sister's door. Cardboard, even heavy won't do it even if only doing a spot weld.

Couldn't agree more... why do you think I took the wheel off?
Getting a blowout of that to the chest would not be fun!

cb

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Yep, I've spattered glass before... very disappointing. The doors I'll be working on are actually empty world cab door shells that I'm probably not going to use (because I can't find glass). I figure they'll make good practice though, for a repair I need to do on the actual cab.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Got moving on the other side last night, but started late... this whole being at home working with kids is interesting to say the least.

20200317_183452_resized.jpg

I got the spot welds done, filled in the screw holes with weld, looked at how the metal was and then started marking and cutting

20200317_185317_resized.jpg

I got as far as making the new pieces, but no trimming yet

20200317_185326_resized.jpg

My original fender pile is getting smaller... also the long piece has to be done in 2 pieces due to the slightest of curvature... I would have though it was flat, but it ever so slightly had a peak it seems... either way, I didn't have enough to do it in one piece either... the fenders are great for repair pieces, but you have to pick and choose where you take the metal from.

20200317_185330_resized.jpg

And in the few rear fender flares I have for a Scrambler, I found this that had part numbers and a R engraved in it... the other side just have the L on it, but no part numbers... so one of them is probably a replacement, but replaced quite some time ago.

cb

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
Wish I'd have used the front fender replacement lip go'round a few years ago. Great to see things progressing!

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Wish I'd have used the front fender replacement lip go'round a few years ago. Great to see things progressing!
Yeah, you can make your own pretty easily, but this is already bent and fits up pretty nicely... and the fenders I got were really cheap... if you can find a set of originals that are blown out on the bottoms/insides, you probably could do this very cheap.

I kick myself because I have parted out and tossed so many fenders that most would consider to be un-saveable... but the lips were good still to use for this.

cb

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
Seems to be one of those things that is just hiding in plain sight...keep up the good work. I'm home schooling today and can empathize with anyone else doing the same. Shop class is probably going to run a little long today, prepping the Dana 44 disc brake knuckles for the Bronco!

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Portsmouth
State
NH
Yeah, you can make your own pretty easily, but this is already bent and fits up pretty nicely... and the fenders I got were really cheap... if you can find a set of originals that are blown out on the bottoms/insides, you probably could do this very cheap.

I kick myself because I have parted out and tossed so many fenders that most would consider to be un-saveable... but the lips were good still to use for this.

cb

Careful, these thoughts are what can lead down the hoarder path.... ;) I always seem to need the part or thing that I had just thrown away.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Careful, these thoughts are what can lead down the hoarder path.... ;) I always seem to need the part or thing that I had just thrown away.

I have been trying to reduce the inventory... been selling more and buying less, but Spring is around the corner, so you never know ;)

cb

PetesCj-8

CJ-8 Member
City
slatington
State
pa

cb
I'm kicking myself for it right now. ☹️