• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Small tandem single speeders...I'm so proud

1x1_Speed_Craig

Simplify...
City
Greeneville
State
TN
Memorial Day tandem bicycle ride (the first for Mira riding as captain, and Maeve's first ride period on the BMX tandem). I'm definitely a proud dad. They may even end up racing it together this November; it's a 2-mile offroad race in Traverse City.

Craig

mira_maeve_bmx_tandem_05-26-2008.jpg

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
That's awesome! Great photo! Cool looking bike.

Tech question (can't help myself): does the rear hub brake or is there just the one hand brake?

1x1_Speed_Craig

Simplify...
City
Greeneville
State
TN
bigwalton said:
That's awesome! Great photo! Cool looking bike.

Tech question (can't help myself): does the rear hub brake or is there just the one hand brake?

Thanks Eric. The smiles are definitely worth more than the $300 I have into building the bike. :D There is just the one rear hand brake, but it works great. Given the added weight of the bike & 2nd rider, it doesn't tend to lock up like it would on a single bike. Actually, Mira's Redline BMX bike has only a rear brake, as well. I originally planned on adding a front, but it stops great as-is. If they were riding it in the mountains, it might be a worthwhile consideration, though. ;)

Craig

luvinmyjeeps

Basic User
City
TULSA
State
OK
good looking

good looking kids having fun and good looking bike, memories to last a lifetime, you are doing well my friend you are doing well

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
i remember always wanting a bike that only had the rear brake, to me, that was for racing (especially coveted the Redlines!)

I was just curious about that one with the extra weight. I suppose brakes have come a long way since I was on a BMX :D

1x1_Speed_Craig

Simplify...
City
Greeneville
State
TN
bigwalton said:
I was just curious about that one with the extra weight. I suppose brakes have come a long way since I was on a BMX :D

Yes, Eric, you're old, and used to antiquated braking technology. :rotfl:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
:D I amuse me.

I know brakes have gone through about three iterations since I was on a BMX and who knows how much better the pads themselves are.

WildTurkeycj8

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
richmond
State
va
Glad to see you and your family doing so well, Craig! We enjoyed your visit here very much, and that pic really shows your girls are still laughing and having fun, just like we remember them!

-Mike