• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Soft tops for scramblers

It will curve, that previous picture is still rough cut fabric.

Here is the next step. still not sure i like the angles... Maybe great for trail rides, but i doubt it will ride at 55 mph. It is a lot of fabric with nothing supporting it.
View attachment 68422

View attachment 68423

I would be interested in something like this. I currently have a full soft top and run 99% of the time with the windows and rear rolled up. What would be really intriguing to me is something like this that fits directly on top of the roll cage I am in the process of building, ie no external supports.
 
I don't like the look of a full bikini top and don't need to cover a 3rd row of seats. I really want a 3/4 like this. Chris could you make something like this? View attachment 69249

Hey that's sharp looking ;) (It's mine) I now have a full cage and this top perfectly covers the horizontal section of the cage. I really love the length, just enough to shade the back seats and nothing extra. IMO there's functionally no use for anything more I guess unless you have a third row in or want to shade a dog in the back. Rain is going to get in all around it anyway, so I wouldn't worry about that as a design consideration.

IMG_8270.JPG

I run my Bestop with the windows out 97% of the time, and flapping in that long section is going to be a massive problem. I had to add a third short bow off the top of the roll cage to be able to stand the top on the highway in any configuration, but without the windows was the worst.

While it may be ok at speed with no wind, throw in any kind of crosswind and it will become a freaking nightmare. Again, just my take.

If I were starting from scratch with this on a stock rollbar Scrambler, I'd split the difference between what you're showing and where mine is. Maybe add 6-8" to mine, but nothing more than that. And you'd want that rear bow to be situated to put some serious tension on the top. My :twocents:
 
What would be really intriguing to me is something like this that fits directly on top of the roll cage I am in the process of building, ie no external supports.

This is something else I would definitely plan into the top for people with a full cage. I added some grommets to the back edge and sides of mine to use to tie the top to the full cage. It doesn't flap one tiny bit :thumbsup:
 
I'd swear I just recently took pictures of the back edge of this top to show what I did with the grommets, but I can't find them. These are the best I could do. I use paracord with a pair of cinching hooks along the back edge clip both ends on and cinch it down tight by pulling the cord through the hook, which locks into place. Works great.

A series of a few grommets would let anyone make it work on their own cage, to my thinking.

The black webbing was on the top when I bought it, just welded a couple loops on the C-pillars to use to tighten it down.


IMG_3300.JPG
IMG_6378.JPG
 
My 81 doesn't have those either. I have a Best-Top bikini for mine and I use a set of the footman's loops that hold the supports for the tonneau.
 
Back
Top