• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Speedhut CJ speedo gauge temp warning

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
After my cooling fan failed in Moab and I replaced it with a temporary and sub-optimal alternative I was running hot and tried to figure out the temperature where the warning light in the CJ speedo turns on, off and what is the “H”.

I couldn’t find those temps listed anywhere, so I emailed them. Here’s the reply:

1. Temp warning light comes on at 220.
  2. Temp on H is 260
  3. Light goes off when temp is below 200
FYI

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
I wonder if they can reprogram them?

The 4.0 comes with a 210F stat. If I remember and really wants to live there; bugs me a bit that it is always about 2/3 to hot....

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I wonder if they can reprogram them?

The 4.0 comes with a 210F stat. If I remember and really wants to live there; bugs me a bit that it is always about 2/3 to hot....

I’ll all but guarantee that they can. I need to look that up. I’ve had the wrong thermostat in my 4.0 if that’s true.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Asked and found out that this is not something they currently customize. I pointed out that the normal operating temperature of the 4.0 is 210 so something like 235/220 is a better option for those of us running it.

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
Does the gauge pull from the coolant neck or the head? A 195 degree t-stat will read 210 @ the head and a warning @ 220 seems good.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Does the gauge pull from the coolant neck or the head? A 195 degree t-stat will read 210 @ the head and a warning @ 220 seems good.

It pulls from wherever you install the sender.

Last edited:

Sfisher

Basic User
Silver Member
City
El Dorado Hills
State
CA
Bringing this thread back from the not too distant archives....

I have the Speedhut speedo cluster with the temp gauge on it. I also run an actual temp gauge instead of a voltmeter on my dash so I can know the exact temp. I would like the speedo cluster to work fully (obviously), but the sensor for my actual temp gauge uses the driver side firewall location on the block. Does anyone know of another location I could insert the speedo/temp sensor to make this gauge work also?

I know it's redundant to have two temp gauges, but I'm not willing to lose the actual temperature information just to have my new Speedhut temp gauge work.

Thanks!

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Bringing this thread back from the not too distant archives....

I have the Speedhut speedo cluster with the temp gauge on it. I also run an actual temp gauge instead of a voltmeter on my dash so I can know the exact temp. I would like the speedo cluster to work fully (obviously), but the sensor for my actual temp gauge uses the driver side firewall location on the block. Does anyone know of another location I could insert the speedo/temp sensor to make this gauge work also?

I know it's redundant to have two temp gauges, but I'm not willing to lose the actual temperature information just to have my new Speedhut temp gauge work.

I believe there’s port with a plug on the side of the block. Want to say it’s the passenger side near the middle, maybe? Never needed it myself and it’s been a very long while since I had the 258.

Related, the one big mistake I made when ordering my gauge setup was leaving the temp gauge in the speedo. You can customize these any way you like and they’ll put anything you want in the speedo as the small gauges. I got a separate gauge for my OBA pressure and left the temp in the speedo. I should have swapped those, putting the much less critical OBA psi in the speedo and done a proper separate temp gauge.

I have regretted this from very early on. I was too caught up in keeping the CJ setup. I debated this in my head so much before ordering and I chose wrong :shrug:

So this post is to serve as a word of caution to those who may be reading this and trying to figure out their ideal setup.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I believe there’s port with a plug on the side of the block. Want to say it’s the passenger side near the middle, maybe? Never needed it myself and it’s been a very long while since I had the 258.

Related, the one big mistake I made when ordering my gauge setup was leaving the temp gauge in the speedo. You can customize these any way you like and they’ll put anything you want in the speedo as the small gauges. I got a separate gauge for my OBA pressure and left the temp in the speedo. I should have swapped those, putting the much less critical OBA psi in the speedo and done a proper separate temp gauge.

I have regretted this from very early on. I was too caught up in keeping the CJ setup. I debated this in my head so much before ordering and I chose wrong :shrug:

So this post is to serve as a word of caution to those who may be reading this and trying to figure out their ideal setup.
Hindsight is 20/20. I didn’t realize they could swap gauges- I would have much rather has a separate temp gauge and put the volt gauge on the speedo. Oh well.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Hindsight is 20/20. I didn’t realize they could swap gauges- I would have much rather has a separate temp gauge and put the volt gauge on the speedo. Oh well.

Volts would work too. That’s why I posted this, to make sure folks know that when they say “custom” they truly mean custom including what gauge is where on the speedo. It’s just software code and printing for them to change things around. I don’t even think they charge extra for it.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Actually, I need to send my speedo back to them to get an update (the fuel level software in the very early models had a problem and when I tried to program the custom full/empty settings something went wrong).

i wonder if I sent back one of the smaller gauges with it if they could swap things around for me... I need to make a call!

Sfisher

Basic User
Silver Member
City
El Dorado Hills
State
CA

That's a good idea, I wish I would have done the same since I deleted my voltmeter already from a standalone dash gauge.

Still very happy with it!

On a related note, there is a port on the driver side that looks likely, but it is only a couple inches from the header. I'll check on the passenger side to see if there is a viable location. Thanks!

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
They’re not open. I sent an email asking if they could do the swap if I sent the voltmeter with it (better idea I think @Randyzzz). I’ll post what they say.

Sfisher

Basic User
Silver Member
City
El Dorado Hills
State
CA
They’re not open. I sent an email asking if they could do the swap if I sent the voltmeter with it (better idea I think @Randyzzz). I’ll post what they say.

I'll standby for an answer to your question. My gauge still isn't installed and I haven't removed my original yet so I have time to wait. Thanks for doing that!

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I'll standby for an answer to your question. My gauge still isn't installed and I haven't removed my original yet so I have time to wait. Thanks for doing that!

The reply was that they can’t change out the small speedo gauges. I don’t know if they stopped or if I’m mis-remembering but I’d swear it used to be an option.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
The reply was that they can’t change out the small speedo gauges. I don’t know if they stopped or if I’m mis-remembering but I’d swear it used to be an option.
Well, I guess I’m my case that’s a good thing. I’m about to call my build “Blown Budget”!?

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS

It seems you could add voltage in any number of simple aftermarket ways (pretty sure Garmin Nav will show voltage on the screen) and replace that hole with something more important

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
It seems you could add voltage in any number of simple aftermarket ways (pretty sure Garmin Nav will show voltage on the screen) and replace that hole with something more important

it’s more that part of the Speedhut purchase was to finally get my dream dash layout and this one bit of it is off. Princess and the pea kind of thing :shrug:

ive thought of swapping the USB outlets I have in the dash for one with an LED voltage readout and buying a matching temp gauge to replace the voltmeter, but then I’ve got redundant gauges in my “perfect” dash and THAT would annoy me :rotfl: