jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Slow go. Painted the dash. Ran the wiring behind the dash. Almost ready to put the gauges into the dash plate. Also pulling the seats, storage console and floor shifter. I had to clean up a old trans plate. Welded in the holes and did the primered. Planning on finishing the gauges, then the shifter, console. I have to pull the tailgate from the cj7, finish it up and paint. I'll also paint the trans plate and bedliner both before installing the trans plate. 20190203_125431_resized.jpg 20190209_155047_resized.jpg 20190210_111801_resized.jpg 20190210_121407_resized.jpg 20190210_125902_resized.jpg

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Went through the engine compartment and under dash wiring harness. Also pulled and test mounted the floor shifter and transfer case cable. 20190216_163035_resized.jpg 20190217_115724_resized.jpg

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
I'll spray the trans cover and inside of the tail gate later. Covers just set up to mount the transmission shifter and the console (next to be mounted).

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Was thinking along that line in the beginning. But when I added the vintage air system I had to bring the controls out. Figured it would be too tight, reaching in front of the shifter for the controls. I also have the console hanging over the rear. On your shifter, have you tried the center shifter mod. I've got the detent and am going to install later this week. Was curious if you had it, how you liked it. http://www.radesignsproducts.com/winters-shifter-only.html
Here's a pic of the shifter in the cj7. Tight fit between stock dash and console (new dash makes it tighter). 20190209_155047_resized.jpg

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I wasn’t aware of that mod or what it accomplishes, I’ll look at the video again. I put in the rockcrawler gate, so I could go straight between reverse and drive (T400) in tight situations. I’ve got a Tuffy console going in too. I raised it a bit on blocks, 1.5”, to clear the shifter cable and put the cup holders on the back side for clearance.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
I was guessing you had the th400, quadratrac transfer case (with low range, the lever in pic). That's the setup that I'm using. I was able to raise the rear legs of the console 1" (a hockey puck) and made a bracket for the front. Keeps it off the shifter, yet leaves enough room to shift and use the cup holders. The detent centers the shifter lever. Reduces how far the lever has to move (left or right) to make the shifts.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Took the sidewinder shifter apart and replaced the stock detent with the aluminum detent. Here's the before and after pics. It centers the shifter so you don't need to do the full left and right with the shifter. 20190218_144602_resized.jpg 20190218_160317_resized.jpg

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Mounted the shifter, console and seats. There is a difference in the fiberglass cj7 tub and the fiberglass cj8 tub. The vintage air system has less room behind the dash than in the cj7. Also theirs less room for the console, shifter. The cj8 is about 2 inches shorter in the cab section than the cj7 section. Passenger seat is also closer to the dash in the cj8 than the cj7. 20190220_145329_resized_1.jpg 20190220_145343_resized_1.jpg 20190220_173018_resized_1.jpg

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Ended up removing the cup holder, the shifter lever wouldn't clear the 1st gear. Also the console lid (arm rest) won't have as much room against the bulkhead. I'll have to hold the lid open when I'm in the console.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Also got the wiring harness done in the engine compartment. Seats are mounted (temp.) Cut 3" square washers to put under the tub for the seats. Got them epoxyed primered and painted. Also got the tub put back on the chassis. 20190223_121913_resized.jpg 20190224_114540_resized.jpg 20190224_120246_resized.jpg 20190224_131613_resized.jpg

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Made the bracket for the low range case (quadratrac case low range unit). Mounted the cable bracket and mounted the cable. Also had a chance to connect the brake lines to the MC and bleed the brakes. 20190301_143804_resized.jpg 20190302_112321_resized.jpg

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
W-S
State
NC
Looking good Jammer. Spring isn't too far away for the north shore up your way. Do you think you'll be back on the road soon?

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Probably not. When I fell I had to stay off the leg (in a brace for for 10 wks). Then in a brace outside and in the shop. it also aggravated the inside of the knee (bone on bone). Having problems with the rehab of the knee. Doc and therapist thought I would be able to rehab it so the outcome would be where I was before the fall. Doc feels a knee replacement in 5 to 6 yrs. Not working out like expected. Cortisone shot 2 wks ago helped. Started step exercised and inflamed the knee (bone on bone). If I'm on my feet for a hour the knee inflames (swells up). Time will tell.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
I installed the steering column and the steering shaft (installed as one unit, couldn't separate at the column). Found out it's 3 to 4 inches short. I can only account for 1 inch (the m.o.r.e steering gear mount moves the gear 1 inch forward). The tub is in the same place on the cj8 as it was on the cj7. I have about a 1 inch gap between the distributor and the fire wall (chevy 350 engine). Their's not enough movement in the flaming river steering shaft to make up the distance so it means a new steering shaft. More important it also means that the cj7 and cj8 are not the same length from the front bumper to the back of the side doors. Between the lack of space between the firewall and the dash which translated to less space for the console and the steering shaft. Was thinking it was 4wd hardware's difference between fiberglass cj7 tub and fiberglass cj8 tub until the steering shaft size difference. I purchased a flaming river steering shaft from summit racing. Found out one of the ends isn't matching the flaming river steering column. That's when I found out flaming rivers factory is 30 min from me. Called them up, a great group of guys. They made both a double D and a 1" splined shafts. I asked if I could bring the incorrect end and switch. They had no problems with it and was helpful in making sure I had the correct one. Can't recommend them enough. Made more sense to pick up the correct one than return the shaft to Summit. 20190301_143756_resized.jpg Mail 20190306_143531.jpg