• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

The beginning.. the end.... and a fresh start

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
I'm guessing your fender flares are new. Can you tell me where you got them from. Went to put the rugged ridge aftermarket 6" flares on and don't like the look of the fenders extending (front) onto the tub. Thanks.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
Thanks I believe it's the 11604.01, but I've been burned with them before. Just want to be sure they fit. I stripped the paint the previous owner had on the stock flares (two different colors) and would like to not have to paint the old ones.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
Thank you, I now have a direction to go (have enough decisions to make that are up in the air now). One less concern.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
Got the speedhut fuel sending units. Yesterday pulled the fuel tank and got ready to fill with water. Also got the drag link for the cj8. IMG_0262.jpg IMG_0263.jpg Today I filled the tank with water and drilled the sender holes. Drained the tank and ready to install the sender. IMG_0272.jpg

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
The speedhut sending unit requires 12v source so I had to run a 12v line from the engine compartment to the tank. Started at the tank and got it run to the front floorboard before I ran out of time. IMG_0268.jpg IMG_0271.jpg . Also opened up the drag link box from amazon and got a rude surprise IMAG2157.jpg . They sent me a jeep antenna instead of the rugged ridge drag link. Ended up packaging it up and mailing it back. But a order in for another. Also found out the dash I was suppose to get yesterday was damaged in transit and sent back. Had to call them to order another. They said they were sending it expedited and would have friday. It would be nice.

surfjeepzx

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
Hey there Mr. Beep, that's OK, I think he meant to post these in another thread? Maybe a mod can move em when Jammer figures out he can't find where he posted what he thought he posted. I did that one time so I find some humor in it :shrug:

Last edited:

surfjeepzx

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
NOS cowl seal

So today I broke out the screwdriver and swapped out the aftermarket cowl seal for a beautiful new old stock cowl seal that Jerseyjeep was kind enough to offer up. This was one of those things that I noticed all the time. It sounds petty but I'm really happy right now :headbang:

IMG_4853.JPG IMG_4854.JPG

surfjeepzx

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
On another note

Some of you may be familiar with the Turkey Rod Run held here in Daytona Thanksgiving week and again during the last day of March. I just enjoy the old cars and have attended every Run since 1985 when I moved to Daytona. It takes me back to the 70's and early 80's when I was working in filling stations out of high school for gas money and use of a lift for my cars. Then my body shop years after that where I learned the basics. This year I decided to enter the Jeep as I've seen Jeeps in the event before and that you pay $45 and get admission for 4 throughout the 4 day event vs $15/person per day.

They cap the event up to model years 1980 and prior for older rides unless approved by email with photos etc. So I drove her in and parked near the entrance to turn three of the speedway where they entered all the vehicles this year. We grabbed the first spot along the track, hopped out and walked around the event over Friday and Saturday which was like trying to do Disney in 2 days. I didn't bring my nice camera but got a few pics of other stuff with the cell. There were probably 4000+ cars inside the track. A lot to see and take in!

The Scrambler represented well and although it was entered in the show car area it wasn't my intention to seek attention. It was just the most economical way to attend the track events. Each time we arrived my wife and daughter were laughing because within minutes of parking we were surrounded by onlookers with nothing but compliments. When we would return to the Jeep throughout the day to get some water or drop stuff off we would wonder if there was something wrong at times because there were so many people gathered around it. I felt very proud and at the same time wondered... hoped everything would be good when I returned. Therefore I also had to consider the lack of any kind of theft deterent on a Jeep. So I took the rotor button with me :D

I really should have taken more pics but didn't want to lug a camera around all day with the passing sprinkle showers.
CAM02983.jpg CAM02985.jpg CAM02989.jpg

surfjeepzx

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
There was an 81 in the Car Corrall which is where all the "for sale" vehicles were located. I looked at it and it wasn't too bad but the underside had a good amount of rust. It did have all the goodies, short and long tops and the bulkhead. It was definitely restorable and they were asking $8500. Turkey Run 1.jpg Turkey Run 2.jpg Turkey Run 3.jpg Turkey Run 4.jpg

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
The cowl seal does look better than aftermarket. You are correct, I was reading up on yours and apparently when I back clicked I was still on your tread thinking I was on mine. Sorry for mishap. Thanks for the info on the flares.

surfjeepzx

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
Wow I can't believe it's been nine months since I replied on this thread. We've been enjoying the Jeep and it's made many trips for ice cream with my little girl and her friends. There's a few things that need attention like a front crank seal leak from the harmonic balancer sleeve job, and I broke the right side view mirror glass carrying a surfboard through the garage, doh! Also, still needs a stereo system which truthfully I haven't missed at all. The only reminder is the hole in the dash is still empty. Maybe I just don't want to finish it officially. We're getting through the hottest part of summer and the nice Jeepin weather is just around the corner so I'll be more motivated to tighten up the last bits.

I'll get some fresh pics up soon