• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

The Horton All-Terrain Medic "Star" Jeep (aka: Scrambulance!)

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
I just found this while cruising the interweb...it would be cool to actually find one!

http://www.emsmuseum.org/virtual-mu...DNY-Special-event-vehicles-Star-Cushman-Gator

The "Star" Jeep was an experimental vehicle manufactured by Horton in the mid 80's. Built on a 4 wheel drive Jeep Chassis, it was one of the earliest non military off road ambulance designs. New York City EMS field tested this vehicle for use on the Coney Island, Rockaway and Orchard Beach recreational areas, but did not purchase.
Up to this time, additional summer beach patrol utilized 3 wheel Cushman Scooters with an enclosed rear storage trunk. These vehicle could get a single EMT to drownings and injuries on the beach or large public events, but could not transport. The greatest disadvantage for summer use was the Cushmans was limited to the boardwalk and could not traverse the sand. The EMT had to carry all his equipment onto the beach.
The Jeep proved too small, with limited ability for airway control or CPR, and were not purchased.

Scrambulance.jpg

Last edited:

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Found more info:

http://www.goldcrossems.com/?page_id=681

1982 Jeep Ambulance (Horton)

This 1982 Jeep Ambulance was one of six produced by Horton in 1982 as an experiment in off-road ambulance design. Taking hints from the old military jeep ambulance design and incorporating the newest, “state of the art” improvements in 1980′s new ambulances, this Horton raised roof offered an often needed method to care and transport injured patients from locations inaccessible to a standard ambulance.

An additional six Jeeps were also designed as rescue trucks but without patient transport capabilities. These were all that were reportedly built and shunned by most in the industry as too small for the $$$.

In 1982 two of the patient transport Jeeps were purchased for Supervisor vehicles at Metro Ambulance Service in Marietta, Georgia. They were small, maneuverable in tight spots and could traverse most any slick grass medians on the interstates regardless of the weather. They proved most useful during the annual infrequent snow days in the South!

In a few years they retired these two Jeeps with one being converted as a personal bird hunting Jeep. The second, as pictured, remained stored for those occasions where it was uniquely qualified to serve. In 1997, this Jeep Ambulance was again placed in service as the ambulance assigned to the Bike Medic Patrol at Gold Cross EMS in Augusta, Georgia. With expansion of the Bike Medic program new larger Ford trucks have been deployed. The 1982 Horton Jeep Ambulance is now an honored member of the Ambulance cast in the Collection!

Horton Jeep Star Ambulance.jpg

Horton Jeep Star Ambulance interior.jpg

Last edited:

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
The "Star" Jeep (aka: Scrambulance!)

Bad arse!!!

Dain

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
That's awesome. Thanks for sharing pictures. I wonder if they had any other unseen upgrades like on the transmission or diffs.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Wow! What an incredible Internet find. ! Need to hunt one down :crazy:

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
I sent that pic to my father and he remembers seeing it on the beach .. he said he took a picture of it... interesting if he can find it.....

Sent from my SPH-L900

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
I sent that pic to my father and he remembers seeing it on the beach .. he said he took a picture of it... interesting if he can find it.....

Sent from my SPH-L900

That would be awesome! I would love to find one!

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
Too cool.

Never even heard about a Scrambler ambulance conversion.

Horton did a great job with the conversion... welded on top....lines flow well.

Julio

Basic User
City
St Charles
State
Mo
That's cool it had an ATM inside so you could pay for your services:rolleyes:

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
IMG_1232.jpg

I ain't afraid of no ghost.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Awesome! I am pretty sure that there's at least one picture that's been posted on these on here, but I don't recall seeing anything close to that amount of info on it.

Very very cool.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Wow...that is one cool Scrambluance!

7jeeps7kings

Legacy Registered User
City
right near the lake
State
OH
Found more info:

http://www.goldcrossems.com/?page_id=681

1982 Jeep Ambulance (Horton)

This 1982 Jeep Ambulance was one of six produced by Horton in 1982 as an experiment in off-road ambulance design. Taking hints from the old military jeep ambulance design and incorporating the newest, “state of the art” improvements in 1980′s new ambulances, this Horton raised roof offered an often needed method to care and transport injured patients from locations inaccessible to a standard ambulance.

An additional six Jeeps were also designed as rescue trucks but without patient transport capabilities. These were all that were reportedly built and shunned by most in the industry as too small for the $$$.

In 1982 two of the patient transport Jeeps were purchased for Supervisor vehicles at Metro Ambulance Service in Marietta, Georgia. They were small, maneuverable in tight spots and could traverse most any slick grass medians on the interstates regardless of the weather. They proved most useful during the annual infrequent snow days in the South!

In a few years they retired these two Jeeps with one being converted as a personal bird hunting Jeep. The second, as pictured, remained stored for those occasions where it was uniquely qualified to serve. In 1997, this Jeep Ambulance was again placed in service as the ambulance assigned to the Bike Medic Patrol at Gold Cross EMS in Augusta, Georgia. With expansion of the Bike Medic program new larger Ford trucks have been deployed. The 1982 Horton Jeep Ambulance is now an honored member of the Ambulance cast in the Collection!

View attachment 39205

View attachment 39206

Horton ambulances are made right here in Ohio. They make the best boxes IMO. They can make you pretty much anything you want from mild to wild... I know a couple of guys that work down there. They have a very impressive plant. I'll ask my buddies if they have more detailed pics of the scrambulance...
7jeeps7kings