• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

The "It came home in buckets" build - a frame-off on an '81

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
So here's the deal. I LOVE the way the decals look on the Jeep now that I have it home. i can't believe at one point I thought about not putting them on. However, I am perplexed.

You will see in the pics that the rear hockey sticks do not line up with the rear seam on either side. The one "stick" overlaps. The weird thing is that he used a laser level to ensure the stripe portion matched the stripes under the door. Therefore if you were to line up the hockey stick with the seam the lower stripe portion would have been pointing upwards and not have lined up with the door stripes. Not sure how this mistake happened - only guess I have is that the decal was printed wrong??

Anyway - it honestly doesn't bother me as much as it bothered my paint guy. I'm just gonna leave it be. Now I need to get my wood rails back on and finish up a few odds and ends on it.

IMG_3481.JPG
IMG_3484.JPG
IMG_3485.JPG
IMG_3487.JPG

Last edited:

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
I'm taking Friday off work and the plan would be to fix the steering box leak on the '81 and possibly continue going through the '82 and all the stuff that came with it.

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
I wonder If AMC used a laser level on all there decals. Lol. Looks great . love the color..

Sent from my SM-N910P

surfjeepzx

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Wilbur by the Sea
State
FL
They look fine and the fact that they bother your painter more means he's a good painter. There's minor stuff that bothered me when I was building mine but after a while I think I forgot about it all. Looking Great!

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
Lifetime Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD
I wonder If AMC used a laser level on all there decals. Lol. Looks great . love the color..

Sent from my SM-N910P

:) Exactly. I love the colors as well. I would probably have tried to "jink" it a little to get to match up, but it would have probably just made it look worse. I agree with everyone else. Looks good so enjoy it and move on. :headbang:

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
yall sum up my thoughts exactly - at the end of the day this thing will be driven quite a bit. things will happen, it will get scratched, etc... so decals that are a tad off that no one but Scrambler junkies are gonna notice doesn't really bother me. Just still curious as to why the decals are off. I just got off the phone with Phoenix and the guy said he'd never heard of that issue before. Oh well.

just a few odds and ends left on this one before starting on the '82:

power steering box leak
wire in the factory fogs (have the original lights and dash switch that came on it but just a piece of the wiring harness)
still need to fine tune the kick down cable

that's about it for it then just drive and see what needs adjustments / etc :headbang:

as noted above, I sold the Vette to my wife's uncle. Well it made it's way back over the weekend. Needs a new heater core installed and I offered to do it versus a shop. you'll also notice a roll bar out of an early '70s CJ5. neighbor of a friend was going to cut it up and put it in the trash. I have zero use for it but couldn't see it cut up. I was thinking of making a bar height table for my basement and maybe using this upside down under the table as a foot prop - who knows...

IMG_3488.JPG

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I didn't see it in the thread or not... but the body? is it OEM? if not, that could be part of the issue I suppose.
Laser level is only good when it is level in relationship to what you are trying to line up.
From my eye on that last picture, it looks like it is just ticked up a bit.

On the rear of these there is a gap on the bottom... look at this photo

8384jsc-1.jpg

It is thicker in the front of the start near the wheel well fender flare and goes out to a narrower piece.
the body back there is kicked up a bit.

You can see it a bit more evidenced here:
IMG_4455-1.jpg

I think the graphics look great no matter what, but if your painter was measureing off level, I guess it depends on what he measured off of and if we are dealing with all the parts from the factory or not.

Looks amazing!!

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Actually, I see it in the first pics you had... look at the relationship of the bottom of the lip to the sticker.
Thicker in the front on the bottom and goes to thinner at the rear to line up with the down line of the rear wraparound.

attachment.php

cb

SurfnCJ8

Legacy Registered User
Lifetime Member
City
Wilmington
State
NC
That looks great! I really like that color too. My Scrambler isn't that color but one of my other toys is close. Mine is a Ford color - Dark Shadow Grey if I recall. I think I offended all of the Ford and GM purists with that color choice but I couldn't help myself, I just really like that dark grey. What color is yours?

100_5973.JPG

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Actually, I see it in the first pics you had... look at the relationship of the bottom of the lip to the sticker.
Thicker in the front on the bottom and goes to thinner at the rear to line up with the down line of the rear wraparound.

attachment.php

cb

My Jeep sheet metal is 100% original - the guy I bought it from bought it from the original owner (his neighbor) and was there in '81 when he drove it home from the dealership. All body panels, hood, fenders, grill are original, even the windshield frame. Rust replacement was limited to a fist size hole under the "JEEP" name on both sides and about a 3 inch long by half inch strip on the driver's fender well lip under the flare that you can see in the above pic.

You are correct on the orignal decals - what I am pointing out is that the Phoenix ones don't account for that. If you lined up the upright portion of the hockey stick the lower stripes would point upwards. Laser level was put on the stipes under the door after they were installed. Then the rear lower stripes were lined up on that line which makes the hockey stick not line up with the seam.

Again, not going to do anything about it because quite frankly not sure how to fix even if I wanted to. Just wanted to share my experience.

Last edited:

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
That looks great! I really like that color too. My Scrambler isn't that color but one of my other toys is close. Mine is a Ford color - Dark Shadow Grey if I recall. I think I offended all of the Ford and GM purists with that color choice but I couldn't help myself, I just really like that dark grey. What color is yours?

View attachment 51481

Very nice! Found out that mine is also a Ford color. Originally my paint guy told me it was an Infinity color but he had this memory crossed - he used a Ford color on an Infinity per the owner's request.

I told him I wanted gray like the original but with some flake to it. He suggested this color. It's called Ford Smoke Gray. Love how it turned out. I'll end up doing the same thing with the '82. I want a blue similar to Montanna Blue but more "modern" I guess you'd say.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
My Jeep sheet metal is 100% original - the guy I bought it from bought it from the original owner (his neighbor) and was there in '81 when he drove it home from the dealership. All body panels, hood, fenders, grill are original, even the windshield frame. Rust replacement was limited to a fist size hole under the "JEEP" name on both sides and about a 3 inch long by half inch strip on the driver's fender well lip under the flare that you can see in the aboe pic.

You are correct on the orignal decals - what I am pointing out is that the Phoenix ones don't account for that. If you lined up the upright portion of the hockey stick the lower stripes would point upwards. Laser level was put on the stipes under the door after they were installed. Then the rear lower stripes were lined up on that line which makes the hockey stick not line up with the seam.

Again, not going to do anything about it because quite frankly not sure how to fix even if I wanted to. Just wanted to share my experience.

It looks great... are you going to put side rails on?

cb

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
yep - I already have them finished and they were on it before I took it to have the decals installed. page 10 shows a close up of them. I chose to stain them much darker than original but felt that fit the overall look better.

Also just remembered another "fix" I need to do / figure out. I need to find out what the heck I have in regards to the Kayline half soft top and see what it will take to make it fit. It looks much newer than any on-line instructions I can find just based on the hardware I do have.

SKT

Legacy Registered User
City
APO
State
AE

Decals and overall looks of this Scrambler is outstanding!

Also glad to see the 'Vette is still in the family. That's a gem of a car.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
So as the world turns, so does my mind on my decals....

I intentionally stopped doing anything to the Scrambler while I let my mind truly settle about these decals and decided that not only do I want them to look like they did factory but also want them to last. To that end I ordered a new set of decals and will work with my painter to make any potential modifications to them to make them work like they are supposed to. Also, he is going to clear over them to ensure they last. I drop it off Saturday so I am in the middle of stripping it back down for the work. I'll let him take the "old" decals off. probably will do 4-5 coats of clear over the entire Jeep.

I know it's more $$ but this thing is my non-living baby and it needs to be right in my mind. This should do it. On another note I get to use my new DD to take it up there. :headbang:

IMG_3848.JPG
IMG_3849.JPG
IMG_3850.JPG
IMG_3775.JPG
IMG_3774.JPG

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
Lifetime Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD