• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

The "It came home in buckets" build - a frame-off on an '81

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
TF727 - Transmission question...

When I have it in Drive it doesn't seem to be going up through the gears in the proper way. For example: if I floor the thing it acts as if it is trying to get through all the gears one after the other instead of on up in the RPM range. Is this more of a trans adjustment issue or kick-down cable issue?

With all the vehicles I have worked on / built I have never dove into a auto trans. and I don't understand them much at all. The above questions may be completely stupid but that is how I feel about auto transmissions.

If any of you were around here and knew autos I'd throw you the keys and we'd go for a ride to see what I am trying to describe.

Adam, just curious what brand your rear bumper/tire carrier is. It looks good. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to use factory swing out tire carrier or go the route you did. Either way I'll have to get a new rear bumper

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
Adam, just curious what brand your rear bumper/tire carrier is. It looks good. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to use factory swing out tire carrier or go the route you did. Either way I'll have to get a new rear bumper
it's a LoD bumper and swing-out. I have not had good luck with their JK products in the past but this CJ one was a closeout sale from a vendor and looking at the design I didn't see how it could have any real issues. Either it would work or didn't. Thus far no complaints.

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
CJ-8.com Vendor
Adam I don't think there is many trans experts here. I had the same problem, and still do, but not as bad. Have you set your "Kick Down" at full Throttle (with engine turned OFF!)? Seems the more I adjust it the better it gets, then I loose everthing trying to get it just a little higher. I am by no means a trans guy, just a Jeep tinkerer. :wave:

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
Adam I don't think there is many trans experts here. I had the same problem, and still do, but not as bad. Have you set your "Kick Down" at full Throttle (with engine turned OFF!)? Seems the more I adjust it the better it gets, then I loose everthing trying to get it just a little higher. I am by no means a trans guy, just a Jeep tinkerer. :wave:

Enlighten me oh wise one...

I have not done what you suggested however I am not exactly sure what my engine guy did when he installed it for me. He hooked up the kick down cable. So if at full throttle I would want to ensure what? no slack in the cable? I need to dig out the instructions Lokar sent.

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
CJ-8.com Vendor
Like I said, by no means am I knowledgable on these. I was told to hold throttle wide open , with engine off, and on the end of the kick down cable there is an adjuster that is spring loaded and you squeeze it and now your kick down is adjusted. That simple.

Now they may have been pulling my leg, but when I squeezed it it moved about an inch and poof! My Trans started working correctly.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
Like I said, by no means am I knowledgable on these. I was told to hold throttle wide open , with engine off, and on the end of the kick down cable there is an adjuster that is spring loaded and you squeeze it and now your kick down is adjusted. That simple.

Now they may have been pulling my leg, but when I squeezed it it moved about an inch and poof! My Trans started working correctly.
Here's to hoping I have the same result! :cheers:

I plan to mess with it tomorrow.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
Well, small update but at least it is an update.

The kick-down cable seems to be set up exactly like it is supposed to be. I am worried I may have an issue with the trans. More to look into with that. I am also wondering if maybe the carb has some issues. I may have pulled in some trash or debris so may need to take it apart and clean it out.

After that frustration I now have an oil pressure gauge that just pegs anytime the Jeep is running. May be asking for an OEM one from one of you guys soon.

I did get a win however. I was finally able to get the under dash interior lights hooked up. This Scrambler did not come with these but the guy I bought it from had them leftover from a CJ7 part-out and just threw them in with the Scrambler.

some days you have to remember the wins no matter how small they are. :cheers:

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
I have a TF999 to swap into one of my '7's at some point, so while I don't have any hands on with one yet, I have done a lot of reading on them.

Here's a good series of videos on rebuilding one, and gives some insight on the innards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzJhCBZ1wMY

I have read that the bands can sometimes come out of adjustment and cause slipping, and can simply be tightened/adjusted, but sounds like you have something else going on. Will be interested to see what ends up being the problem.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
I have a TF999 to swap into one of my '7's at some point, so while I don't have any hands on with one yet, I have done a lot of reading on them.

Here's a good series of videos on rebuilding one, and gives some insight on the innards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzJhCBZ1wMY

I have read that the bands can sometimes come out of adjustment and cause slipping, and can simply be tightened/adjusted, but sounds like you have something else going on. Will be interested to see what ends up being the problem.
Thanks for the link. I have the TF727 but I am sure it would be similar.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
Link is actually for a 727. I'm hoping they are similar because plan is to try to rebuild mine myself....:eek:

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
Link is actually for a 727. I'm hoping they are similar because plan is to try to rebuild mine myself....:eek:

gotcha. when you mentioned the 999 I assumed the link was for that and while at work Youtube is blocked so I didn't even try the link. I appreciate it!

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
By the way, Hand Foot and Mouth Disease IS something adults can get from a rug rat but only 1% of us are lucky enough to experience it. There was a breakout of it at my daughter's daycare. Thankfully she didn't get it but was a carrier of it. Been down for about a week but feeling good enough to hopefully knock out a few chores on the '81.

After much deliberation I pulled the carb off the motor to take a closer look. From float problems to casting issues (starting to flake off inside the float bowls) I decided to but a new one. The cost of the repair pieces didn't seem logical compared to buying new. Picked up a 4 barrel Holley 80457S in aluminum (same make and model as the old one from the 70s). Also finally decided to start on the Tuffy stereo console install. Got the 10" wide version. Tight fit but it'll work. Hopefully this will be a productive weekend.

IMG_5888.JPG
IMG_5889.JPG
IMG_5890.JPG
IMG_5891.JPG

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
Hand Foot and Mouth still slowing me down some but I did finish up the carb install last night. WOW! what a difference. aside from a higher than normal idle the Holley was factory set up really well (they do basic settings / wet test them prior to shipping). I'd also say 99% of what I thought was trans / kick-down cable issues are gone. I didn't think the carb was causing all these issues. Test drive was great.

Talk about a great ending to a night of work. Now to finish the wiring for the Tuffy console and fog lights.