• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

The "It came home in buckets" build - a frame-off on an '81

53D Scrambler

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
Just caught myself up on your thread since my post on page 1. Great work, I felt like I was reliving my build as I was reading through yours.

A lot of similarities.
-Decal issues. Mine were installed by the painter a little off from stock but I had to just keep them
-BDS Lift: is great for over 3 years now, just watch the springs rusting. I kept the factory finish on them for install but probably should have scuffed and painted each leaf to help them maintain the black coloring. oh well

Not sure if you looked into the Rugged Ridge HD Tie Rod and Draglink with a flip kit, I just did that a couple weeks ago and it made a world of difference in turning radius.

Congrats on being mostly "done."

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
Thanks for the compliment. I did flip the factory tie rod for now - looking into doing a HD conversion later. One thing I know I need to do is change out the ball joints. they are "OK", could technically last a little longer but wouldn't hurt to be replaced.

And yea, the finish on the springs leave a lot to be desired and I do feel like this set is rusting worse than the ones in the past. I will address them at some point.

53D Scrambler

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
One thing I know I need to do is change out the ball joints. they are "OK", could technically last a little longer but wouldn't hurt to be replaced.
Yup, same with me. I procrastinated during my build in 2013 and I ended up changing mine a couple weeks ago. I used the Alloy USA HD Ball Joints which were very high quality.
http://www.morris4x4center.com/alloy-usa-4-piece-heavy-duty-ball-joint-kit-upper-lower-all-11802.html
upper-lower-ball-joints-11802_5340.jpg

I probably should have done it way earlier but I wasn't looking forward to pulling the axles and dropping a knuckle after all the work to restore the Jeep.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
Fog lights - I have the original lights and the switch that attaches to the dash. That's it. the relay/fuse/whatever isn't there. What size relay/fuse was used? I will need to build the harness from the switch to the lights themselves. I do have the plug still attached to the back of the switch with 2 red wires and a black wire

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
ordered a new speedo gear and decided to check on things to ensure a smooth install when it comes. needless to say my day ended up being longer than I thought. At least I won in the end

tcase.JPG

cw05

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
Great build. I'm not sure how I missed it before but just caught up on entire thread. Jerry built my motor too...401 with a cam that is way too big but I'm trying to learn to live with it. Anyone recognize a Jeep in corner of this pic when I was dropping my motor off to be built? IMG_2200.JPG

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
LOL that looks to be my '81

Jerry has done the following for me:

304 in my '76 CJ7 (sold to buy the Vette)
304 in my '81 CJ8
327 in my '65 Vette (sold to get the family off my back)

He's the only one I trust with engine work. He'll have the 360 for the '82 soon.

cw05

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
LOL that looks to be my '81

Jerry has done the following for me:

304 in my '76 CJ7 (sold to buy the Vette)
304 in my '81 CJ8
327 in my '65 Vette (sold to get the family off my back)

He's the only one I trust with engine work. He'll have the 360 for the '82 soon.
That's great. Surprised you haven't let him talk you into one of the many 401 blocks he has under his bench!

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
That's great. Surprised you haven't let him talk you into one of the many 401 blocks he has under his bench!

to quote Jerry "When are WE goona quit doing these baby 304s and put a man's engine in one of your Jeeps?"

When I told him I was bringing him a 360 he laughed and said "you are headed in the right direction"

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
change in plans. I can't bring myself to change the top since it came with it originally. Don't want to cut holes. Will plan on adding interior harnesses with different seats.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
I finally got around to new ball joints and HD steering set-up. I haven't driven it yet since it snowed here and I don't want to drive it in the mess of brine and salt. Hopefully by this weekend it will be clear and clean roads. Sorry for the crappy pics

included one showing stock versus the Rugged Ridge set-up. Also added a steering box brace.

IMG_6894.JPG
IMG_6895.JPG
IMG_6896.JPG
IMG_6668.JPG

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
Fog Lights up and running using factory original switch, harness I acquired from Eric, and lots of help from a couple members here. Also fixed a small coolant leak due to a worm clamp being loose. Feels great tying up the loose ends!

IMG_7084.JPG

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
Small but significant update at least to me

Picked up a near perfect set of rocker trim. My originals were so far gone I went ahead and powder coated them black to try and hide the issues. They look decent but always wanted a new set. Also, with moving to a floor mount shifter for the TF727 (Lokar cable shift sucks for adjustment with factory auto column) I always wanted to replace my factory auto shift column for standard column. I was able to pick up both recently. Plan to paint column and polish the crap outta the rocker trim before install. Rocker trim even has original T bolts in great condition.

Attachments