• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Thoughts on expanding our forum

twmattox

Legacy Registered User
City
Arcadia
State
IN
Just wanted to see what others thought about this. I have always considered the LJ a long lost son to our Scrambler (limited numbers over a limited time period loosely based upon a common platform). And, now that I own one, I have noticed that like our Scrambler, it is not covered in any forums anywhere. You have to look up Jeep TJ and adapt the information over.

What would everyone say to increasing our forum to include the LJ? Not fully adopting it, but just a section for those of us who own one to discuss things... I have hesitated bringing this up, largely because I like this group the way it is. By far the most friendly group of Jeep owners on the net... I just wish there was a place on here I could talk with those of you who own an LJ too.

OnlyinaJeepCJ

Legacy Registered User
City
Mobile
State
AL
While we now see the LJ has a site of it's own, has anyone every seen a CJ6 only site? Those are much closer in relation to the 8 and I could see a "CJ-6" or "other long jeeps" section. But then again to have a one model specific site is about as nice and rare as the jeeps we own.... And yes I have a 6 and feel both special and left out at times.

scrambler81

Basic User
City
Hammonton
State
NJ
There was a Wrangler Unlimited site that I joined back in 2004, but it died a few years ago due to lack of interest. There was only a few of us spending any time there.
I view this quite differently than you. Every time I hear someone compare an Unlimited to my Scrambler I cringe, and I have to fight the urge to scream at them. I love my Unlimited, that's why I've had two, but I don't see any similiarity between them and the Scrambler besides the wheelbase.
This is the CJ-8 site, and I think that is just what it should be. Anyway, I've never known this place to turn down conversations about other vehicles, it's just not advertised. Heck, there is a nice VW Bus thread in here right now. :cool:

Last edited:

jeffs396

mini Scrambler
City
NE
State
OH
This is the CJ-8 site, and I think that is just what it should be. Anyway, I've never known this place to turn down conversations about other vehicles, it's just not advertised. Heck, there is a nice VW Bus thread in here right now. :cool:

I agree totally! Don't dilute the specialized nature of this site, there's plenty of sites out there for whatever vehicle type you're into. Even for HHRs :D

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
If it wasn't obvious, my reply was also to indicate that we won't be adding LJ stuff in on this site, the LJ site I linked should be considered a partner/brother site to this one. Both Matt (this site's owner) and I have LJs, so it was a natural fit :thumbsup:

There won't be any LJ stuff on here other than the "other Jeep builds" forum.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
While we now see the LJ has a site of it's own, has anyone every seen a CJ6 only site? Those are much closer in relation to the 8 and I could see a "CJ-6" or "other long jeeps" section. But then again to have a one model specific site is about as nice and rare as the jeeps we own.... And yes I have a 6 and feel both special and left out at times.
My take on the -6s is that they share more with the early CJs than the Scramblers, I don't see it as a fit here either. We certainly welcome builds in that same "other Jeep" forum though ;)

twmattox

Legacy Registered User
City
Arcadia
State
IN
Good points. Thanks for the referral to the other site. I will be joining there too.

As far as my comparison between the LJ and the Scrambler, I consider it a loose affiliation. They are both similar in that they are limited runs over a limited time period. That is pretty much it...

Cincyjeeprs

CJ-8 Member
SOA Member
City
Cincinnati
State
Oh
Geez, Thoma. LJs, Grand Wagoneers. What other red headed step children are you going to bring our way?:evil:

Just kidding. If we can put up with Speedcraig 1x1 in the "other builds" thread (Mira's XJ build is awesome), we can put up with you.:D:D I always enjoy seeing what other Scrambler owners do with their spare Jeep time.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Just from looking at different member's signatures it seems that a lot of us have multiple Jeep platforms and I know we all enjoy seeing and hearing about other Jeeps but I like the singular focus of this board. Seems to keep a close family feel.

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
I like the size of this forum. When forums get too big they get dilluted and lose the friendly atmosphere that we have.