• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Tire carrier/gas can holder design

rustycrawler

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Reston
State
VA
Only reason I'm not a big fan of that particular location...T Bone.

b9b62e98bca08f07c9f43ec8421ff730.jpg

Way back to WWII, but I haven't seen too many mounted here in recent years...

LongRangeDesertGroup_zps25bf21ec-1.jpg

The doors clear the cans just fine; the door straps stop the doors with plenty of room to spare.

BothJerryCansInstalled2_zpse891ddae-1.jpg

Yes, this hardtop has been a great place for a rack or a roof-top tent, I've used both up there. I typically carry the rack basket when I go off-road, I keep an extra spare and the High-Lift up there, and often luggage so it doesn't clutter the cabin.

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
Lifetime Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
Way back to WWII, but I haven't seen too many mounted here in recent years...

LongRangeDesertGroup_zps25bf21ec-1.jpg

The doors clear the cans just fine; the door straps stop the doors with plenty of room to spare.

BothJerryCansInstalled2_zpse891ddae-1.jpg

Yes, this hardtop has been a great place for a rack or a roof-top tent, I've used both up there. I typically carry the rack basket when I go off-road, I keep an extra spare and the High-Lift up there, and often luggage so it doesn't clutter the cabin.

I've been trying to get time to find a WWII pic like that - they seemed to like the cans there. Still thinking....
I was hoping you'd have that CJ grille/hood conversion on that LJ by now. That seems like a great idea! I admire your work. :bow:

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
Lifetime Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
IMG-20121228-00365.jpgIMG-20121228-00362.jpgIMG-20121228-00364.jpg
Are those 33's stuffed under an unlifted jeep?

They are BFG 33's, but the jeep had a couple of inches of lift. The tires would rub the front flare slightly at full compression, bump stops not having been moved. The green jeep has the suspension and tires taken off the red one. There is also a fair load in the back of camping gear and that gas drum, etc. You can see the spring center bolt is further aft than stock but it worked.
I'm measuring for a small aux tank between the rear bumper and regular gas tank noww. Hold about 10 gallons or so, and be protected by the rear bumper/tire carrier assembly.

rustycrawler

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Reston
State
VA
I've been trying to get time to find a WWII pic like that - they seemed to like the cans there.

Back then, a lot more people smoked cigarettes, they were probably just using them as ashtrays.....

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
I've been trying to get time to find a WWII pic like that - they seemed to like the cans there. Still thinking....
I was hoping you'd have that CJ grille/hood conversion on that LJ by now. That seems like a great idea! I admire your work. :bow:

Thank you.

I've got the CJ Grille kit parts painted, assembled and ready to install, they're sitting in a spare room waiting to be bolted in place in the LJ:

AllAssembled2_zpsf1a92e8b-1.jpg

The only reason I'm waiting is that I recently designed a fiberglass bolt-on flat fender kit and they've been picked up by a company for production. I want to do a test install of one of their first sets from the production molds to give them a thorough tryout. Once I've done that, they'll come off and the CJ kit will go on.

Fenders3_zps4d4c74ff-1.jpg

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
Thats so awesome!! I'll have to pick up the conversion when it comes to market!!!

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
Lifetime Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
Very nice! Yep, been following the "CJ grille" for a while and hoping for production... :)
As far as tanks go, thinking of a piece of 10" pipe, capped and 31" long in that space across the back. Plumbed in with a selector valve and a fill (somewhere). There are boat tanks that size too...

aluke0510

Basic User
City
Arizona
State
AZ

They seem to like putting can where, there are cans everywhere in that photo. Hood, in front of the doors, behind the passengers, etc. Assuming it is all fuel they must be hauling 60gal fuel...

And I am just kidding, I know you are talking about the ones on the body...:crazy:

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
Lifetime Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
Measured the TDK frame that all this is for - had to wade through waist-deep snow - and it measures a little wider there across between the frame rails: 33.5"
If I hung as many gas cans as those desert guys have I would need the twin 50's to defend it all, I think. :)

aluke0510

Basic User
City
Arizona
State
AZ
Measured the TDK frame that all this is for - had to wade through waist-deep snow - and it measures a little wider there across between the frame rails: 33.5"
If I hung as many gas cans as those desert guys have I would need the twin 50's to defend it all, I think. :)

Ya know one advantage to using cans though is you can offload them when you get stuck. A big fuel tank and you can't off load it and put it back in easily...

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I have a full top on the one I plan to take to Moab, and don't care to have the gas cans inside the black top in the sun with all the other gear.

When I went to Moab, I never burned more then 12 gallons of gas in one day. And, that day included three trails, riding from 8am-10pm. But, I had a fuel injected six cylinder. My buddy with the LT1 and a 15 gallon tank ran out of fuel on 3 of the 5 days.

For Moab, I cant see the need for more then 20 gallons, unless you plan on running the one trail that is 100 miles one way:eek:

With that said, since I run my Scrambler with the 1/2 cab, I still kept a 5 gallon can in the back. The V8 guys were thankful;)

But, for longer runs, the need for more fuel is critical. I have yet to see a really safe/secure way to carry extra fuel, especially when on pavement:twocents:

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
Lifetime Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
When I went to Moab, I never burned more then 12 gallons of gas in one day. And, that day included three trails, riding from 8am-10pm. But, I had a fuel injected six cylinder. My buddy with the LT1 and a 15 gallon tank ran out of fuel on 3 of the 5 days.

For Moab, I cant see the need for more then 20 gallons, unless you plan on running the one trail that is 100 miles one way:eek:

With that said, since I run my Scrambler with the 1/2 cab, I still kept a 5 gallon can in the back. The V8 guys were thankful;)

But, for longer runs, the need for more fuel is critical. I have yet to see a really safe/secure way to carry extra fuel, especially when on pavement:twocents:

Thanks for the input! Yep, a day at a time the 15 or 20 gallon tank will do, but as long as I'm in Utah tfor the Moab event there's a trail I like over on the other side of the river that can be a hundred in and a hundred out, plus side canyons... The easy way is only 60 in to a really good spot back in the Maze district, but I want to see a little more and take the scenic route to get there. :) I usually am fretting about gas when in there and want to carry enough.
You're right, on the road it's tough to have a good way, so I try not to carry extra fuel then. You would think someone would have figured out a pick-up truck tank or such to fit underneath on the passenger side by now, all protected like it as on whatever original vehicle.

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
Lifetime Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
IMG-20140303-01212.jpgIMG-20140303-01216.jpgIMG-20140303-01218.jpgIMG-20140303-01220.jpgFinally got above zero long enough to do some welding. I got started and the final design will depend on which jeep I bring (full top or half top). Still trying to decide on exactly where to slide the jack in. If I bring the full top, I'll have to add another tier to move the basket over top of the tire. For local trips, I'll leave the basket off. Two 5 gallon cans for fuel and water jugs can be in the bed.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
View attachment 40839View attachment 40840View attachment 40841View attachment 40842Finally got above zero long enough to do some welding. I got started and the final design will depend on which jeep I bring (full top or half top). Still trying to decide on exactly where to slide the jack in. If I bring the full top, I'll have to add another tier to move the basket over top of the tire. For local trips, I'll leave the basket off. Two 5 gallon cans for fuel and water jugs can be in the bed.

That looks awesome.

Dain

regular guy

Basic User
City
Cameron
State
NC
Not a great picture, but it's the aftermarket 33 gallon tank on mine. It's not a custom, it was actually for sale at some point. Smarter people than me can tell you who makes it. It basically takes up all of the space under the bed from right behind the rear axle to the bumper. Heavy duty skid plate provides excellent protection and it's already plumbed into the fuel system so no need to transfer fuel from one container to the next.

Your tire carrier is pretty awesome! I like that you're using the plastic cans vs. jerry cans because you can pick those things up at the local auto parts store if you lose or crush one.

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
Lifetime Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
Update

IMG-20140321-01261.jpgIMG-20140321-01262.jpg
Those are nice big tanks, those 33's. Maybe I can find one before Moab. Here are pics of the lower part of the rack - I have a basket type cargo rack that goes on there, too, behind the tire. I used the plastic cans beacuse they're shorter than the metal jerry cans and I can get two layers if I need to (water), and not be too tall. The plastic is not as durable maybe, but they pour better. The Hi-Lift goes across the top above the cans. I'll get it all mounted up some warm sunny dry day if such a thing should ever occur again and take a pic.