• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Tire pressure - running on a beach

hdttm

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
Ashfield
State
MA
I'm jealous of all of the Sand Blast pictures, and really hope to participate sometime soon.

I'm asking this question for my best friend. He had a CJ-7 "way back when" . They were out on Cape Cod with the kids, got a permit and were able to go on the beach with his truck.

The question... and there may be more, what is the best way to deflate/re-inflate the tires - check and monitor pressure, equipment?

I'll send him a link to this thread so he can see responses/recommendations - I told him that if there ever was a group of people that would have great answers.... this would be the place to ask.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
For a truck/suv I run about 20 lbs on the beach (Outter Banks of NC). For my Scrambler, I don’t need to let any out, I’m usually at about 28 lbs. They can heat upon the sun and hot sand, so a re-check isn’t a bad idea. I use some of the typical deflater gauges available. Off road/ Trail riding, I typically start at about 15 lbs with my Scrambler.

timothy

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
baltimore
State
oh
Predominantly I only run on sand @ the Silver Lake Sand Dunes, Sandblast, where I run 8lbs. I’ve run with more air when I first started going there & didn’t make it up the hills. There are some trails in Moab, UT that have sand on them & I run 12lbs out there

hdttm

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
Ashfield
State
MA
Thanks for the replies. His truck is a 2010 Chevy 2500HD

The park service recommends 11 PSI for running on the sand - he seems to think that a little too low and obviously wants to avoid sidewall damage or peeling the tire off the rim - recommended on road pressure is 60 front and 72 rear. - he is comfortable in the 16-18# range, which seems to make sense.

He hasn't signed up here.... YET, but his other questions are:

*Tire Pressure Gauge - I've been using an "Accu-Gage" with a 5 to 100 PSI range. I found this particular gauge to give inaccurate readings in the "teens" and I've lost confidence in this gauge. Now, I have read that gauges are "most accurate" at the middle of the range they set up to measure. Do I need two gauges - one for on road PSI (about 60 to 72 range) and one for over sand PSI (about 18)? Anyone have a preferred brand and or model recommendation? Analog or digital? Any gauges to stay away from?

* Air Down Valves/Device - Looking for a relatively painless way to "air down" when I arrive at the beach. Any preferred brand or model recommendation, any products to stay away from?

I appreciate the input.... CLEARLY the correct answer is to ditch the truck for family outings at the beach and get a CJ.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
I like this style deflator (mine is ARB, but the same design is available from many manufacturers).
arb505_1.3879.jpg

And for re-inflation I carry a CO2 tank.
Final Setup.jpg

Last edited:

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I use the same air down gauge/ deflator as above, but Mine says Currie on it.