• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

title question

wim

City
Rio Rancho
State
NM
Hi all i just bought my first cj8 last week and just found out it has a salvage title do to a abandoned vehicle it has no rust or damage yes small dings but no damage on frame or body to salvage normal wear car fax shows no accidents so it got the salvage from the tow yard when they got it titled will it hurt the value that much ? i would like to restore it but if it will hurt the value a lot i can make it a nice driver let me know what you all think thanks

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Yes, it will hurt resale value.

But that only matters if you plan to eventually sell it and want it as an investment.

If you want it for fun, nobody will ever know it has a salvage title when you run it down the road.

wim

City
Rio Rancho
State
NM
Yes, it will hurt resale value.

But that only matters if you plan to eventually sell it and want it as an investment.

If you want it for fun, nobody will ever know it has a salvage title when you run it down the road.

thanks it is if i have to sell i got it to restore it and just found out that it had a salvage on it did not see it on the title how much less is it worth? thanks

ps dont what to put more in it then it is worth or i will sell it now and find another one

mwqpd11

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Coopersburg
State
PA
Normally a salvage title subtract 30-35% off the value

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
If you are looking to restore any Jeep (almost any vehicle really) there is a high probability you will put more into than it is worth. Only safe way to ensure you don’t have more in one than it is worth is to buy one already restored for a reasonable price or find an original one and also buy it for a reasonable price.

I personally view this as a hobby, and not an investment. I might be able to get a lot back out of my Jeeps, but I doubt I would ever get 100% back, especially if labor is factored in.

Any recourse on the seller for failing to disclose the salvage title?

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
There are vehicles that have been totaled and reconstructed and have a legitimate reason to have a salvage title . . . and then there is yours. Everybody wants a bargain and seeing salvage on a title gives them a reason. You may find another Scrambler in worse shape or that has had major work done that would be more worthy of a salvage title but has a clean one. Most Jeeps get knocked around pretty good and you found one that only has a few dings and no rust. Condition means more to me than a word on the title. Not everyone looks at it that way. A southern dry climate Jeep usually doesn't need total disassembly, sand blasting, rust repair, replacement of parts and so much work to maintain, restore or just enjoy it. You've already got a good one, why not enjoy it and have a story to tell about how it was rescued.

wim

City
Rio Rancho
State
NM
If you are looking to restore any Jeep (almost any vehicle really) there is a high probability you will put more into than it is worth. Only safe way to ensure you don’t have more in one than it is worth is to buy one already restored for a reasonable price or find an original one and also buy it for a reasonable price.

I personally view this as a hobby, and not an investment. I might be able to get a lot back out of my Jeeps, but I doubt I would ever get 100% back, especially if labor is factored in.

Any recourse on the seller for failing to disclose the salvage title?

no recourse on the title or seller on a abandoned vehicle that is what there doing now on titles in az nm co if you have to put a lean or?

the jeep wont take much i payed $7500 needs paint and seats runs and drives like a champ the frame is very clean new tires everything works even the clock i know if i sell it i wont find one in this shape so where i am confused is what are they worth restored i see too many different numbers on values

thanks for your input

wim

City
Rio Rancho
State
NM
There are vehicles that have been totaled and reconstructed and have a legitimate reason to have a salvage title . . . and then there is yours. Everybody wants a bargain and seeing salvage on a title gives them a reason. You may find another Scrambler in worse shape or that has had major work done that would be more worthy of a salvage title but has a clean one. Most Jeeps get knocked around pretty good and you found one that only has a few dings and no rust. Condition means more to me than a word on the title. Not everyone looks at it that way. A southern dry climate Jeep usually doesn't need total disassembly, sand blasting, rust repair, replacement of parts and so much work to maintain, restore or just enjoy it. You've already got a good one, why not enjoy it and have a story to tell about how it was rescued.

thanks that is how i took it when they told me

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Numbers and values are all over the place. Mainly because it takes money and labor to do it. It just depends on what is done and how tastefully done and what someone will pay at the time

DeLuke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Dallas
State
TX
Abandoned Scrambler? Who would have thought!

As for the salvage title, the somewhat opposite of you getting less when you sell it, is that you probably paid less getting into it! That's my glass half full outlook for the day.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Abandoned Scrambler? Who would have thought!

I bought one. Had no title, no wheels, no tranny, no t-case. Sold the frame for more than I paid for the whole thing. Still have parts of it.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I assume it got a salvage title because it was easier for the wrecking yard or impound yard. In Texas it would have qualified for the bonded title process. A letter would have been sent to that last known owner giving them a chance to dispute ownership. I’ll bet the abandoned part came from the fact it was (probably) towed to an impound yard and the storage fees were too high for the owner. Then the vehicle became abandoned and the impound yard got a salvage title to sell it.

There used to be ways to “clean” a title, but I think they have mostly dried up.

Ron84cj

Engine nerd
Lifetime Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
When it comes to Jeeps I personally purely look at condition and honestly I think a good number of others do as well. It's not hard to spot body work or frame repair on jeeps. Even if there was, if it was well done then I guess it just wouldn't bother me. I would take several "before" pictures and take it in for an alignment check. Reasoning is then you can prove everything is straight as it should be if you decide to sell. That's usually what people are afraid of with "salvage titles." They don't want something that is all twisted up. At least that's what I have seen.

wim

City
Rio Rancho
State
NM
I assume it got a salvage title because it was easier for the wrecking yard or impound yard. In Texas it would have qualified for the bonded title process. A letter would have been sent to that last known owner giving them a chance to dispute ownership. I’ll bet the abandoned part came from the fact it was (probably) towed to an impound yard and the storage fees were too high for the owner. Then the vehicle became abandoned and the impound yard got a salvage title to sell it.

There used to be ways to “clean” a title, but I think they have mostly dried up.

yes that is what happened

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
thanks it is if i have to sell i got it to restore it and just found out that it had a salvage on it did not see it on the title how much less is it worth? thanks

ps dont what to put more in it then it is worth or i will sell it now and find another one
If you're worried about resale value, then sell it now and never buy another CJ. They rust faster than they appreciate, and the ones that bring top dollar are the ones that have extremely low miles and are 100% factory original.