• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Top 10 Profound Observations & Reaffirmations

BurntOrange

Hook 'em Horns!
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
:rolleyes: Top 10 Profound Observations & Reaffirmations...

...after a full day of wrenching on my '86 CJ-7 parts plucker.

1. PB Blaster = good, rust = evil
  2. Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey!
  3. the catch pan should have a volume greater than or equal to the fluid being drained
  4. steering wheel will not turn front tires when steering shaft has been disconnected
  5. battery must be in the Jeep for anything requiring electricity
  6. Torx is the product of a sick, twisted mind
  7. battery must be charged for anything requiring electricity
  8. 1/2" drive sockets and 18"+ breaker bars are a necessity in life
  9. air tools bring the neighbors out after 9:00pm
  10. no matter how hard or how much you loosen the bolt it won't come loose if the nut is spinning with it

Hope your weekends are good!! :D

Marine-OpLaw

'ANTIQUATED' PackRat
City
Fredericksburg
State
VA
Lessee if'n I can provide some more...

BurntOrange said:
:rolleyes: Top 10 Profound Observations & Reaffirmations...

...after a full day of wrenching on my '86 CJ-7 parts plucker.

1. PB Blaster = good, rust = evil
  2. Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey!
  3. the catch pan should have a volume greater than or equal to the fluid being drained
  4. steering wheel will not turn front tires when steering shaft has been disconnected
  5. battery must be in the Jeep for anything requiring electricity
  6. Torx is the product of a sick, twisted mind
  7. battery must be charged for anything requiring electricity
  8. 1/2" drive sockets and 18"+ breaker bars are a necessity in life
  9. air tools bring the neighbors out after 9:00pm
  10. no matter how hard or how much you loosen the bolt it won't come loose if the nut is spinning with it
[...]

Corollary to #'s 5 & 7: You're bound to have 'sparkies' if you don't disconnect POS btry lead when you're too lazy to protect loose hot wires. :rolleyes:

11. Exhaust work bites. :mad:

12. Jeep Wrenchin' Time Rule: Time to allot for 'X' task = time it should take x 3 :rolleyes: (3 is min.; longer if distracted by wife, kids, dog, other... :( )

13. Using hand grinders w/o leather gloves (especially in confined spaces - like under the Jeep) WILL result in sore, bleeding knuckles. :eek: (Personally reaffirmed a few days ago. :o )

I don't think my fragile male ego can stand to add anymore...

Good thread Burnt! And, PB RULES! :D

WildTurkeycj8

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
richmond
State
va
BurntOrange said:
[*]the catch pan should have a volume greater than or equal to the fluid being drained
A few sub paragraphs to the above:
1. Do not drop the oil plug on to the catch pan, especially if the oil plug rolls (unseen) down to the catch pan collector hole, falls in up to the hex head, and blocks the hole
2. Sub paragraph #1 above is to be especially avoided when draining a diesel motor that holds 14 quarts of oil
3. It is even more essential to avoid both #1 and #2 above immediately after bragging to your friend that you are going to show him how to change the oil without making any mess!

Signed,

The voice of experience ;)

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
My #1.....

When you have plans to work on your own stuff.....Your son's car breaks, your wife decides to paint and put up trim (her idea of her doing it, is you being there too, to "help"/do it), the dog needs to go out (no one else hears it), you're told to go to the grocery store for some urgent item or whatever else someone can come up with to stop you.

My weekend in a nutshell......................... :mad: :( :eek:

BurntOrange

Hook 'em Horns!
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
Today I worked smarter not harder on the parts plucker. I think I only let the four-letter @#$! words fly about 10 times instead of 50+ so it was a good day of wrenching.

I did verify #6 "Torx is the product of a sick, twisted mind" rule though. Got all the seat belt bolts out except one I was having lots of trouble with. Out came the Matco 24" breaker bar and was trying to be as gentle as possible but snapped my T50 socket in half. Torx schmorx. Hate 'em.

Truck

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Manassas
State
Va
14. When working on your rig don't leave tools on the ground that you can trip and break your wrist on (cast for 12 wks..hampers future wrenching opportunities).. I'm speaking from personal experience from friday night.. :o :(

Truck

Last edited:

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Truck said:
not that I'm speaking from personal experience from friday night.. :o :(

Truck

If not you, then who? Should we guess which jarhead (not that I'm guessing)?

Truck

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Manassas
State
Va
no unfortunately i am speaking from personal experience..typo(hard to type w/just a left hand)..just got back from local Korean hospital..I have to see Orthopedic surg upon return.

BurntOrange

Hook 'em Horns!
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
ouch, sorry to hear that Truck. Still going to make it to Hot Springs with your super cool CUCV?

Truck

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Manassas
State
Va
plan is right now to hitch up w/ John N as crosscountry driving partner in his rig

scrambled83

Basic User
City
Shakopee
State
mn
15. Always buy more beer then you think you are going to need.

16. If using a Hi-Lift in the Garage stay away from the handle (I will look for the pic of my eye swollen shut).

17. Always take off gloves that have anything flammable on them before smoking a cig. .

18. Always pour Gasoline in a Gas can and Kerosene in a Kerosene can :eek: .

I am gonna stop there. A saying that goes something like " better to be thought a fool then open your mouth and remove all doubt" about sums it up :D