• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

walkerhoundvm's rebuild thread

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Love the look. I can imagine if I’d have built Copper that way I wouldn’t have sold it. So, going to try and get it right on Red. I’ll let you know on the power thing. Going from a 5.3 to a 6.0.

Are you sure the correct leads for the O2 sensors were deleted? There are O2 sensors (front) and cat monitor sensors (rear). Also, are the sensors placed close enough to the manifolds? Sensors placed too far back are prone to heating slowly. The PCM expects to see the sensors reach operating temp within a certain time of the engine reaching operating temp.

AJ2393

Scrambled in the Head
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
North Dighton
State
MA
Wow, that is one super sharp looking Jeep. Jealous doesn't even begin to describe how I feel. Top notch job!

MikeV

Always learning
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Monroe
State
NY
Looks beautiful! Please remind me what's the lift, wheel and tire sizes? That stance is awesome.

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Love the look. I can imagine if I’d have built Copper that way I wouldn’t have sold it. So, going to try and get it right on Red. I’ll let you know on the power thing. Going from a 5.3 to a 6.0.

Are you sure the correct leads for the O2 sensors were deleted? There are O2 sensors (front) and cat monitor sensors (rear). Also, are the sensors placed close enough to the manifolds? Sensors placed too far back are prone to heating slowly. The PCM expects to see the sensors reach operating temp within a certain time of the engine reaching operating temp.
Great questions that I've already sorta walked through. The manifolds are the C6 ones, so the sensors are tucked right in there. I kept the front sensors, deleted the rears, and just to confirm I checked the reader and indeed the fronts were steady at 0.450 for a couple minutes before bouncing around. The readings for the rears stayed constant at 0.450 (which I assume is as intended for the programming?)

Only thing I could think of is that I had the manis ceramic coated, which might push the heat down the line faster, but then why is my backup pcm kicking a completely different code? I'm at a loss, but when I find time I'll recheck the pinouts and all grounds as @mysunnshine suggested.

I have a pair of the bosch 13111 sensors (for long headers) sitting on my counter. I'm hesitant to try them because I want to return them, but I have some time to think on it.

walkerhoundvm

Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Looks beautiful! Please remind me what's the lift, wheel and tire sizes? That stance is awesome.
RE 4.5" lift, 33"x10.5 BFGs. It barely sneaks under the garage door. Might not have with 34s.

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
Ab
Pretty happy with how the rest of the decals turned out. My father in law came over for an extra pair of hands and eyes, which really made the process fly by.

View attachment 78217

Going to work on the riptech wiper install and getting my door strikers installed over the holidays.
Absolutely beautiful! LOVE that color combo. Question, how did you decide how high up on the hood to lay the SCRAMBLER words? Just curious.

A guy in my off-road club owns the Riptech system. Please let us know how it works for you when you've had some experience with it.

walkerhoundvm

Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Ab

Absolutely beautiful! LOVE that color combo. Question, how did you decide how high up on the hood to lay the SCRAMBLER words? Just curious.

A guy in my off-road club owns the Riptech system. Please let us know how it works for you when you've had some experience with it.
Thanks! I spent more time than I care to admit thinking about the letter placement. I used details from this thread here, and stared at a lot of Google images beforehand. The letters in the kit aren't perfectly horizontal, they rise a bit towards the hood and slant more forward towards the hood too. Anyway, drew a line with a grease pencil, mocked it up, then placed them and took a few steps back. Readjust as necessary.

Contrary to what I expected, the letters were probably the easiest to place; the hood arch was the hardest. The gel you can get from Phoenix Graphics is just enough for the whole kit, and made the process way easier. Learning curve is sharp and steep, I feel like I could do it in my sleep now.

I'll post up on the wiper mod after some experience. Only thing I'm less than happy about is the older style connection with the blades, seems a little wobbly.

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
Is the hood arch the decal on the top of the hood? What was difficult about the hood arch?

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
How thick are the decals? Are they likely to tear, or peel, or show wax buildup around the edges?

I'm thinking of having my original paint buffed out, applying decals, and waxing over the whole thing.

walkerhoundvm

Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Is the hood arch the decal on the top of the hood? What was difficult about the hood arch?
Yep. It was a little challenging getting both the front and rear parts aligned. If I had the chance to do it over again, I'd have waited until my FIL was available to help, I'd have used more gel, and I'd have aligned the front part first, then the rear "tails." I made the mistake of doing the tails first, then the front. Your eyes are naturally drawn to the front, so it makes more sense to make sure that's perfect first and foremost.

walkerhoundvm

Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
How thick are the decals? Are they likely to tear, or peel, or show wax buildup around the edges?

I'm thinking of having my original paint buffed out, applying decals, and waxing over the whole thing.
They're thicker than I expected - like a typical vinyl windshield sticker thick. Not prone to tearing or pealing prematurely (just don't get wet or store in a humid area), but they might get wax built up at the edges.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
On the wipers- did you go with the basic system or the billet? Did they use the pin style wiper mount? I have found that some pin mount blades are more secure than others. That’s one of the mods I’m contemplating on mine.

walkerhoundvm

Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
On the wipers- did you go with the basic system or the billet? Did they use the pin style wiper mount? I have found that some pin mount blades are more secure than others. That’s one of the mods I’m contemplating on mine.
I got the billet ones... I think. I remember reading a while back that he could no longer source the pin style; they're the slider style, like my originals. Super easy installation, took all of 15min. A little louder than the originals.

I mostly like them. Look a little more modern, but chances are they won't see much rain.

IMG_20191222_132344.jpgIMG_20191222_132530.jpg

Pman

Busted Knuckles
Lifetime Member
City
Mount Pleasant
State
SC
Walkerhound- I’ve been gone for a while and, upon logging in, see this amazing transformation! Looks INCREDIBLE!! Wow!!

P.S. Those side steps you sent me a few years ago are still sitting in my garage. ?. I’ll use them at some point!

walkerhoundvm

Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Walkerhound- I’ve been gone for a while and, upon logging in, see this amazing transformation! Looks INCREDIBLE!! Wow!!

P.S. Those side steps you sent me a few years ago are still sitting in my garage. ?. I’ll use them at some point!
That was a few years ago, wasn't it ;) 2013ish?

walkerhoundvm

Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Dropped the Jeep off at the shop earlier this week to have them replace the rear AX-15 seal - wasn't something I was in the mood to do; the wife is already on my case about spending too much time in the garage since I brought it back home.

Picked it up yesterday, and they had spent some additional time trying to get the clutch sorted it. Turns out it was binding a bit and may have been getting hot from the exhaust. They had changed out the return spring and put some heat shield fabric over the slave to try to keep it cooler. Drove it into work today and all seems well.

Back to the CEL - hasn't been giving me much trouble lately after 30 miles of driving or so, but I've been paying closer attention to my shifting. Before the rebuild, I didn't have a tach and with the I6 I'd usually just rely on my ears to figure out when to shift. What I've found out is that an I6 at high RPMs doesn't exactly match the sounds of a V8 at high RPMs, so I need to watch the tach a little more closely. While it's great it can do 65mph in 3rd at 4500 RPM, that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good thing to do! Seems like shifting more appropriately at the 3K mark is helping to keep the O2 sensors happier.

Really loving the RE lift, too. We have some speed humps on the road into work, and I've always had to go slowly over them in my DD. In the Jeep, it's like riding a nice walking horse, and you hardly notice them.

I think all that's left to do is to build a shroud for the fan. Temps seem to be holding up great in the cooler weather, but we'll be heating up here soon enough.

Pman

Busted Knuckles
Lifetime Member
City
Mount Pleasant
State
SC
Nick-

I’m REALLY liking what you did with the color-matched liner in the cab. I’m planning on going the same route with mine.