• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Who has Poison Spyder armor on their Scramble?

tom82cj8

Scrambler Pro
City
Austin
State
TX
What do you have? Post a pic....

I am looking at their crusher corners w/3" flares. What size tube do they use on their rocker knockers?

Thanks,

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I do, but I didn't get the flares. There's a guy who made some flares that I want to get eventually that are like the PSC tube flares, but I liked them better. Search for user xtrm4xjp there were pics posted early last year. I was all about them until our move became a looming certainty. I still have his PMs about them because I do want them sometime...

Here's a pic of mine with the armor. I have Xenon flares and the rears are mounted way high, I actually drilled and tapped the armor for them because I have no sheet metal where they're supposed to mount. (armor hides some serious rust issues, sure looks better!)

forum

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I thought your question was about the tube on the optional corner flares... sorry.

I didn't do the tube on mine obviously, but I got the rocker knockers for our LJ at the same time, but didn't install them and sold them off. I want to say it was 2.75" tube, but I don't know for sure.

tom82cj8

Scrambler Pro
City
Austin
State
TX
JimmyRig-

Did you cut your tub to match the wheel opening on the crusher corners?

How did the LEDs fit into the back of the tub, can you see them from the inside?

Thanks,

Jeepskate

Insane in the Membrane
City
Christiansted
State
VI
I have the Crusher Corners but bought them early on in production just as Avalanche & PSC were splitting and the flares weren't available then. Rather than buy their flares later on, Anders (xtrm4xjp) and I collaborated on the custom ones that BigWalton mentioned...someone else on here bought a set. Grub bought the Rocker Knockers with the tube and after experiencing them on the trail, I opted not to get them. I found that the tube was too close to the body making it darn near useless as a step, especially with wet/muddy boots. I opted for Shrockworks rockers (already had them on my CJ-7 and they released the CJ-8 version shortly before I started shopping for rockers) instead.

BTW: little tidbot of info on armor. Gen-Right makes matching panels to protect the lower cowl area (area in front of the doors above the rockers) and they're working on a cowl guard as well.

Pics:

DCP_1511.JPG

DCP_1518.JPG

DCP_1516.JPG

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
tom82cj8 said:
JimmyRig-
How did the LEDs fit into the back of the tub, can you see them from the inside?

I have the LEDs and you can see them from inside the tub. I cut some metal and then "massaged" the area around them to fit them with the least amount of cutting. Could be cleaner, but I wasn't too worried about the look other than getting them to look good from the outside.

I also cut a piece of rubber as a gasket between the LED and armor to seal the hole up some and it also required a little less "massaging".

tom82cj8

Scrambler Pro
City
Austin
State
TX
I guess the gas filler is the limiting factor in keeping them hidden completely?

jimmyrig

Head Nut at Outdoor Logic
City
Riverside
State
ca
I cut

I cut out the whole inner fender. And the lip...It really looks funny if you dont cut the lip at least. I did also cut the inner wheel wells in half. This made for a much larger bed space.
4de52106.jpg

bf37b085.jpg

7541da33.jpg

10667c88.jpg

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I've never seen that done (cutting the wells in half) very interesting idea, especially since the outer edge of mine are shot. Inside would be fine though.

Something to think about!

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
tom82cj8 said:
I guess the gas filler is the limiting factor in keeping them hidden completely?

Yeah, you'd have to move the filler to the side if you wanted to drop them down into that open space behind the bed corners. I think they'd look too low if you did that though. The clean look of the LEDs has really grown on me though. It was a shock at first, now it just looks right to me.

jimmyrig

Head Nut at Outdoor Logic
City
Riverside
State
ca
I dont know how well it would work on CJ width..It might hit...But on scout, or waggy width its perfect...One tip...I think it would have been eaiser to fab a WHOLE New inner wheel well, rather then making the old ones fit. The reason I did this mod was I wanted to create space between the wheel wells and back seat so I could build in side storage boxes with speaker pods and cup holders...Kinda like what you would find in a carpet kit for a truck with camper shell.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I'm Waggy width. I'm cheap, I'd make the stock pieces work ;)

tom82cj8

Scrambler Pro
City
Austin
State
TX
Thanks for the posts. I am starting to feel like my tub is a little too nice for this project. I can't see me cutting off the inner lip on a perfectly good tub. Maybe I could get the corners without the flares and keep my stock flares???

I have some thinking to do.

-Tom

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
FWIW, if the sheet metal is nice, I don't think it looks odd to leave it. I just don't have any. ;)

bobgoblin

Legacy Registered User
City
Austin
State
TX
i have led's that i installed at the top of body. then i made some covers to hide the back of the led's from inside the tub. i will have to take some specific pictures. The i used one round white backup light under the driver side tailight and a wrangler flip down license plate over the gas tank on the passenger side. in texas, you dont legally have to have a backup ligt, FWIW.

also, i have the psc rocker knockers without the tube and i didnt cut any metal to fit them. i'm in austin if you want to check either out.

jason

Jeepskate

Insane in the Membrane
City
Christiansted
State
VI
bigwalton said:
I've never seen that done (cutting the wells in half) very interesting idea, especially since the outer edge of mine are shot. Inside would be fine though.

Something to think about!

I trimmed mine at first to make a little more room to run a TJ rear seat, then went back and cut them out and replaced them with trailer fenders so that I could open up the wheel opening more:

graft5.jpg

trlrfndr1.JPG

Just have to weld in the vertical panels...been entertaining riveting in some thick lexan 'cause I'm just silly like that sometimes.

scramblerfire

Legacy Registered User
City
spokane
State
wa
Cutting the lip

So when you put on the crusher corners, with flares, I assume you must cut off the lip right? Can you cut it flush without affecting the original wheel well? Thanks!

Jeepskate

Insane in the Membrane
City
Christiansted
State
VI
No, you don't have to cut the lip off...the corners are made to fit above the lip and the flares are nowehere near the lip. Can't cut it flush without affecting the wheelhouse.