Richmond
State
TX
Pics of the new frame....

20190318_185545.jpg

20190318_185555.jpg

20190318_185536.jpg

20190318_185605.jpg

I can't believe this frame was ever separated from its body. Thing looks amazing.

Now I need to sort the other stuff that came along for the ride. Smittybilt stinger bumper, 258 engine, dana300 in a box, undetermined transmission... who knows what else.

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Where did you source that???
Craigslist. It was posted on a Friday, I found it Sunday, and bought it on Monday. Just absolute dumb luck. I was grinding on my frame on Saturday and was fretting over what I was going to do when it came up on a search for cj8. It did not come up when I searched for cj or jeep or any other term. It was weird how you almost had to match the listing name for it to come up in the search results.

Regardless, I am feeling lucky.

It also came with:

Windshield hinges
Hood hinges
Wiper linkage
Motor mounts
Couple sets of spring brackets
4 Mickey Thompson 15x10 rims
Smithybilt stinger bumper
258 engine
D300 in a box (disassembled)
Box of D20 parts
Unknown transmission case
2 speedometers, oil, volt gages
2+ sets of manual clutch linkages
6 round headlight bulbs
Dash lights
Fender turn signals
Grill turn signals
2 sets of Bimini top windshield brackets
15 gallon poly gas tank
2 fenders
DJ (?) grill
Set of seat belts
3 side rear view mirrors
Misc bearings and seals and u-joints
Heater box
Seat sliders
Engine computer
Steering shaft
Drag link
Dash (DJ ?)
And some other yet to be identified stuff

Also got a rotisserie as well.

But the frame was really all I wanted, but it was an all or nothing deal. He offered a set of DJ axles, some seats, and other parts for free as well, but I had no need and my truck and trailer were full up.

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I'm about to start welding the Waho frame plates on my new frame. What is recommended for paint or coating between the frame and plate? Zinc weld thru primer? POR?

Also, been thinking of sleeving the engine mount holes. Good idea or bad idea?

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
CJs came that way from the factory, so I assume it will fit no problem. I have manual brakes on mine currently, but plan to use hydroboost since I am going with the LS and don't want to deal with vacuum issues. So, I don't envision a clearance issue for my setup.

Mine was originally a 151ci I-4 "Iron Duke" base model, with power steering, manual brakes and hydraulic clutch setup. Previous owner's uncle had it converted to a 232ci I-6 from a '79 AMC Spirit. They pulled the hydraulic clutch setup and installed the manual linkage setup, including replacing the brake pedal assembly with the manual linkage part.

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
I'm about to start welding the Waho frame plates on my new frame. What is recommended for paint or coating between the frame and plate? Zinc weld thru primer? POR?

Also, been thinking of sleeving the engine mount holes. Good idea or bad idea?
Also interested in the frame plate protocol. I think sleeving mount holes is generally a good idea, but there might be enough surface area on the mounts to not collapse the frame box too much. My worry with sleeving is if it removes too much of the frame beam material to clearance for the sleeves to ultimately compromise the frame rigidity or promote crack areas. However I tend to err on the side of caution...

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I am giving thought to having the “new” frame galvanized. But I am determined to have the waho plates on it front and rear. In doing some research it is recommended to have 3/32” space between overlapping parts to ensure the molten zinc can get in and drain out. Without the space, you could have rust seepage from the joint.

Has anybody had experience with galvanizing a frame with plates welded on? Should I weld them tight to the frame? I don’t like the idea of a plate spaced off the side of the frame. Just sounds hokey.

Full perimeter welds are a no no, the air pocket can expand and explode in the tank.

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Decided I’m gonna galvanize the frame if I can find a place to do it.

Even though the outside looks great and the frame has no rot, the inner reinforcement at the skid plate has the start of rust.

B0206F89-25CE-475A-9B23-246AAC39DE1D.jpeg

This fairly well sealed the deal.

So, when installing the frame plates, what should I do with the suspension mounts? Trim them off and weld them to the plates, or bend the tab up?

FF2523E9-40EA-4053-9F0D-B99B1C1DBFE6.jpeg

For the body mount, I plan to trim them and slip the plates under and weld them to the plates without the “bent edges”.

9B6CAC72-F9F3-4A7E-9033-FC8387FDE463.jpeg

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I bought this “np241c” transfer case on Monday. It arrived today, but the wrecking yard had it tagged as a 231. Anybody know how to confirm if it is a 241 and not a 231? Supposedly came from a ‘90 suburban. Did they make any 231 passenger drop with electronic speedo outputs?

BCE41BD9-B55C-42AB-BBE8-1B1A806A5131.jpeg

0A8F3054-07DB-4BB7-A7EB-790720CA29E8.jpeg

CEDD232B-8E0E-44BE-BEAA-7BF21EC97FF6.jpeg

509FB55F-84E8-4399-9CC1-66465FF899C2.jpeg

A15C70CE-FD2D-452A-A398-4F2603030248.jpeg

I was very clear with the wrecking yard that I wanted a np241c passenger drop. Only issue, I need a 32 spline input, and this one has 27 spline. No big deal, plan to rebuild it and use the SYE kit from JB Conversions and the cable shifter from JB Custom Fab.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
OKC
State
OK
Mine has the C-16123 number on the back as well. My speedo housing has different #s, but mine is a mechanical speedo 1989.