• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

‘82 Engine Swap & Restification

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Status of my original dash, need to get the socket to remove the 2 switches. The light switch was loose enough I removed it by hand.

20190213_182326~2.jpg

The black dash is the one I got for $25.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Most of my Jeeps are made form parts cars or piles of parts.. I'm sure you can put a second one together of you want.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Moved all my sheet metal from the barn to boat storage. Figured it was safer and I needed to put the postal somewhere safe till I am ready for body work.

I call this my jeep jig saw puzzle.

20190214_113602.jpg

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
Moved all my sheet metal from the barn to boat storage. Figured it was safer and I needed to put the postal somewhere safe till I am ready for body work.

I call this my jeep jig saw puzzle.

Looks like a life size model car! 8-)

0930052a8659a54a6001f00814fcbb57.jpg

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Have you got square cornered doors to go with that postal top?

No, previous owner sold them to a forum member since the glass was gone. I’ll either have to find a 10a with intact doors, or use the round door fillers. Most likely go the filler route.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
No, previous owner sold them to a forum member since the glass was gone. I’ll either have to find a 10a with intact doors, or use the round door fillers. Most likely go the filler route.
I believe the CJ 10 doors are the same as the postal ones. I saw some listed on CL a few days ago and put the info under 3rd party sales. No pictures or price but a name and phone number. OR isn't too far away from TX if seller is willing to ship and price is reasonable. Might double check with other members if the doors are the same and get pictures if these are still available.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I am almost certain the doors on a cj10 are the same as a cj10a and world cab doors. The cj10a is more common in the US than the cj10.

I sent an e-mail off to him to see if he has photos and get more details.

Worth a shot.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I’m hoping that slow and steady wins the race. Not much more done, but more bolt issues. This time the windshield bracket. Out of the 8 bolts holding the hinge to the windshield frame, 2 on the driver’s side stripped out.

CEFC1026-AA4D-4D75-A0FC-8760C4414C9C.jpeg

C7FD9DE3-301C-47A4-8F12-E586EFA96F66.jpeg

So I drilled them out and used an extractor to pop the heads off.

5C650120-4522-46BA-8135-DDF130828B69.jpeg

6B02D9E5-37AD-4761-94ED-41D42DC75E37.jpeg

Now the bracket can come off, and I can then drill out the remainder of the bolt.

D45092AE-9800-4CDA-8353-02FAC59BF9E4.jpeg

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Boy howdy, do I love me some raw metal on metal assembly before painting!

20190216_124451.jpg

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
We had something happen around here that hasn’t happened in what feels like 3 months.....

We had sun with no rain today. Rolled the Jeep out of the garage to grind on this mess:

1E0CE9D8-B4AB-49E7-A7B6-7AFFED0E515A.jpeg

243619AE-3EDA-4361-9A1D-34FB0958507B.jpeg

5D574290-25CB-49EB-B00B-4722A8F6EE69.jpeg

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
An hour or more of grinding, and this is what I have:

41E2A0ED-A92B-40C1-B98F-493B445E1996.jpeg

CE97228B-F772-40DB-9767-8EBC881FB053.jpeg

85C4D568-F328-4B53-86B3-51655463D3BE.jpeg

58E36BB5-A81A-4CEF-889E-9F4C7709FE8C.jpeg

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
:eek:

That's a lot of grinding, my friend... I don't envy you!

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Pile of scrap removed.

CDD380B7-F2D4-4ABA-B812-0DAE47F8FBCF.jpeg

I need to drop the sway bar so I can remove the rest of the scrap. Also need to grind off the passenger sway bar mount that was welded to the frame.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
That is one ugly frame. Usually you don't see the front that bad (especially on both sides). Glad your going to weld and plate both sides. Looking forward to watching this come together.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
:eek:

That's a lot of grinding, my friend... I don't envy you!

Yup, I’m beat. And that is not even half of the scrap iron that is on the frame. PO had an angle iron exocage on it. I can only imagine what it looked like and how much it weighed.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
That is one ugly frame. Usually you don't see the front that bad (especially on both sides). Glad your going to weld and plate both sides. Looking forward to watching this come together.

That is the only place on the frame that is questionable. The rest of the frame is in excellent shape. Even here, the frame is full thickness, no rust degradation, just a nasty crack. Not completely sure what I will do with the front. I have a single set of frame plates for the front, and a set for the rear. Originally I was planning to only plate the outside, but now I am considering replacing the front and plating the outside and fish plating the inside at the joint, or repair it and plate a section of the front on the inside as well.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Won't be easy on the inside (between the gear mount and sway bar mounts. Definitely would consider steering gear mount to reinforce that portion of the frame (with inside plate/patch) where cracks where sway bar mounts are. Especially if you're planning larger tires. Odd that it happened on both sides? Love seeing the work a good welder can do.