• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

100 questions

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Yes the frame is bad, but it's my only choice at this time. Plus the vehicle will be used on the highway only.

I have had thoughts of selling maybe to someone that has better resources.
But until I decide exactly what to do..... patch and drive
That is worse. If the suspension mounts brake on public roads you endanger your life and those around you (others minding their own business that get tangled up in an accident due to frame failure never had the option to say if your frame is ok). If it brakes on a trail, you endanger your life, generally.

That frame looks un-repairable IMHO.

I think it looks like a huge liability (lawsuit waiting to happen).

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
I will have a frame for sale in about 3 weeks. For safety’s sake wait to do any repairs until we talk. Maybe we can work out a deal especially since we’re relatively close to one another.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
I will have a frame for sale in about 3 weeks. For safety’s sake wait to do any repairs until we talk. Maybe we can work out a deal especially since we’re relatively close to one another.
Sounds good.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
This. So much this. I do think the frame can be repaired but if you can find a good replacement for a reasonable price, you’ll be miles ahead.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
I agree.
A used frame would make the rebuild take off in a completely different direction

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
Here's my thought on a "new" frame which would actually make this a much more bite- sized and manageable project and better suited to what you're describing:

You get the used frame, clean it up, repair it where needed, prep it, paint it and then that's done. Meanwhile, you look for a set of wide track axles which you rebuild at your own pace. Once they are completed, you get a set of YJ springs and now you've got a rolling chassis. Put it in the shed.

Now you look for a 4 litre on Craigslist with a 5 speed, order a clocking ring from Novak and get a cheap, used Dana 300 to rebuild behind the 4 litre's AX15. You might even sell the TJ transfer case for what will pay for the 300. You can drop the 4 litre on to your rolling chassis and now it's the prefect workbench for new gaskets, seals, etc. on the engine and 5 speed.

Get a 15 or 20 gallon tank out of Craigslist or a wreckers and run all your fuel lines from the donor 4 litre as well as an in-tank pump. Order all your brake lines from inline tube and run those easily and safely while it's a rolling chassis.

At this point, your rolling chassis is done and is a dependable drivetrain. Now you can pull the body off the old scrambler and focus only on rust repair. New/replacement panels where necessary, sheet metal patches, liberal use of spray-in liner and paint and you're ready to make a Scrambler again.

Painless Wiring harness or very careful restoration of your original harness and it's simply a matter of putting a puzzle back together with cleane/repaired parts.

I know this sounds slightly overwhelming but it really isn't. It can be done in bite- size projects, whereas repairing the current frame really cannot. I've done almost exactly this project myself in the past and once you get started you'll be amazed how quickly these things come together.

When is done, you'll have a very safe, reliable and fun driver which will never lose value. You'll also be able to sell a lot your old parts on Craigslist for more than you think you will.

Just some thoughts.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Here's my thought on a "new" frame which would actually make this a much more bite- sized and manageable project and better suited to what you're describing:

You get the used frame, clean it up, repair it where needed, prep it, paint it and then that's done. Meanwhile, you look for a set of wide track axles which you rebuild at your own pace. Once they are completed, you get a set of YJ springs and now you've got a rolling chassis. Put it in the shed.

Now you look for a 4 litre on Craigslist with a 5 speed, order a clocking ring from Novak and get a cheap, used Dana 300 to rebuild behind the 4 litre's AX15. You might even sell the TJ transfer case for what will pay for the 300. You can drop the 4 litre on to your rolling chassis and now it's the prefect workbench for new gaskets, seals, etc. on the engine and 5 speed.

Get a 15 or 20 gallon tank out of Craigslist or a wreckers and run all your fuel lines from the donor 4 litre as well as an in-tank pump. Order all your brake lines from inline tube and run those easily and safely while it's a rolling chassis.

At this point, your rolling chassis is done and is a dependable drivetrain. Now you can pull the body off the old scrambler and focus only on rust repair. New/replacement panels where necessary, sheet metal patches, liberal use of spray-in liner and paint and you're ready to make a Scrambler again.

Painless Wiring harness or very careful restoration of your original harness and it's simply a matter of putting a puzzle back together with cleane/repaired parts.

I know this sounds slightly overwhelming but it really isn't. It can be done in bite- size projects, whereas repairing the current frame really cannot. I've done almost exactly this project myself in the past and once you get started you'll be amazed how quickly these things come together.

When is done, you'll have a very safe, reliable and fun driver which will never lose value. You'll also be able to sell a lot your old parts on Craigslist for more than you think you will.

Just some thoughts.
You and I have the same thoughts.
While we are on the subject... since I had planed on switch to YJ springs, can you just use the axles too. Just transferr springs and axles?

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
You and I have the same thoughts.
While we are on the subject... since I had planed on switch to YJ springs, can you just use the axles too. Just transferr springs and axles?
You can, but then you've got to use the YJ transfer case as the front axel's differential is on the other side. Jeep wanted more common parts going forward in 87 after losing the military contract to AM General so they used the Cherokee dive train in the YJ.

That could make your project even more affordable really: get a rusty YJ out of Craigslist and simply swap in the entire drive train.... you will still need to move the axles' spring perches inward a few inches (the CJ has a narrower frame rail than the YJ) but that is pretty easily done.

I'd probably lean towards keeping the Dana 300 and getting wide track CJ axles myself but really that's only because i like the transfer car shifter where it is.

Last edited:

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Question 12:
My bulkhead is repairable, but a new/used metal one looks like a bolt in process.
New metal ones unavailable?

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
Generally speaking, whenever you are able to repair an original item without too much difficulty you are far better off than you would be buying an aftermarket unit.

Likewise, it is very uncommon to find really clean original items which are being sold because most people won't sell a clean, original item. Clean, original parts are usually still on clean, original rigs. More often than not, you wind up with another item needing similar repairs.

Last edited:

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
No easy button. Owner of this forum used to make reproduction fiberglass ones. If that floats your boat, contact him at gr8tops.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
No easy button. Owner of this forum used to make reproduction fiberglass ones. If that floats your boat, contact him at gr8tops.
Yes I saw that, if mine was in worse shape I would consider that option. Mine is worth saving.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Question 13
Any old school magazines that are for CJ only. Really can't get into reading off internet. Would want to get subscription to them so I could thumb through sitting on porch.20210912_174221.jpg

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Many many years ago I use to have 2 or 3 that I really enjoyed reading, but somewhere in the late 90s, there began to be slim pickings on CJ articles and they mostly concentrated on the newer vehicles. Then the magazines themselves started to thin out. I actually don't even know what is available anymore. I only get 1 magazine now and read this one from cover to cover. If you are into aviation I highly recommend it. Comes every other month.image.jpeg

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I subscribe to Hemmings Classic Car and LOVE it. They recently had a great article on the CJ but they cover everything from older American iron to German, English and even French 'iron'.

Great publication. Like you, I love magazines..... but then we're old. Hell, I still get the Wall Street Journal delivered.

Attachments

• 16314946558706230597877869697325.jpg
    16314946558706230597877869697325.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 1

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
It seems all the Jeep mags are out of publication. I used to subscribe to Jp, but the content became mostly rock crawler focused, and then they went out of print. I really don’t know of anything. I’d bet a CJ focused mag might gain traction, but I’d still only give it a 50/50 chance at survival.

I’m another old guy that likes reading off of paper.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Many many years ago I use to have 2 or 3 that I really enjoyed reading, but somewhere in the late 90s, there began to be slim pickings on CJ articles and they mostly concentrated on the newer vehicles. Then the magazines themselves started to thin out. I actually don't even know what is available anymore. I only get 1 magazine now and read this one from cover to cover. If you are into aviation I highly recommend it. Comes every other month.View attachment 97092
Something eles that has outgrown my pocketbook. General aviation.
Had a 125 hp Piper Tri-pacer, needed fabric, sold back in 90s. Last time I've flown.

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
One thing I do miss about Land Cruisers is the bi-monthly publication Toyota Trails put out by the Toyota Land Cruiser Association. It was a high quality publication dealing only with Toyota vehicles.

Imagine the Scrambler Owners' Association having a publication dedicated to the CJ. The TLCA is a great group of folks dedicated to their preservation. It's a shame the vehicles have become so exotically priced.

Like many of the Jeep publications though, even the Trails has had to bend to the times and do more articles on the modern 'Yotas. As FJ40s become rarer and more expensive, their owners become fewer and fewer.

I would imagine that even if someone were to produce a CJ magazine they'd have to include articles about Mercedes and Fiat Jeeps too just to survive.....yawn.

That's actually why I enjoy Classic Car; they have great article about all sorts of vehicles. It's always a nice surprise to see what cars I'll be drooling over. Imagine my joy when I opened to a series of CJs.