• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

1983 Scrambler "STUMP JUMPER". Frame off, 5.3 Conversion.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Love the retro decals! Really sets the red off nicely. Well done!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
Great job on remaking the decals. . [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106]

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
Put 5 new Michelin LTX AT's on it today P265/70/16. I always check the air pressure when I get home. One had 50lbs, two had 45lbs and one had 40lbs. I set them at 37lbs. Rides much better now. Be sure to always check service work when you get home.

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
Lifetime Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD
X2 on checking. I have multiple RECENT stories :(

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Put 5 new Michelin LTX AT's on it today P265/70/16. I always check the air pressure when I get home. One had 50lbs, two had 45lbs and one had 40lbs. I set them at 37lbs. Rides much better now. Be sure to always check service work when you get home.

X2 on checking. I have multiple RECENT stories :(

Looks great Dennis :cheers: :wave:

As for the other, I had to re-torque all my lugs when I got home from the tire store the other day, they were all a hair loose :(

What was worse, I hit the interstate yesterday, at around 75mph, the rear end started feeling not too good. I "guessed" correctly, 55psi in one rear tire, 28psi in the other, Detroits do not like that at all :eek::eek::eek:

All the tires at 28psi, riding great again :thumbsup:

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
I ran mine at 37#s yesterday and I think it still could be better so I''ll try 32lbs today and 28 tomorrow. Looking at my old owners manual it recommended 30 for over 65MPH and 20lbs for under 65. With 20lbs it should be like riding on air bags.

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Rub the tread with chalk and drive in a straight line. Let the air out until it rubs the chalk off all the way across the tread. You will be surprised at how low the pressures will be. 😉

Sent from my SM-G920V

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Rub the tread with chalk and drive in a straight line. Let the air out until it rubs the chalk off all the way across the tread. You will be surprised at how low the pressures will be. 😉

Sent from my SM-G920V

That is the best way to do it, find an empty parking lot and experiment :thumbsup:

I am running 28, could be lower, but when you get close to 20 on a 33x12.50x15, gets "squishy" feeling on the interstate :twocents:

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
A flashback to insulation. Remember way back when I lined the entire inside, cowl, firewall, floor and even the small side panels with 1/4 inch Hydro Turf? I then installed carpeting with a backing, well it was certainly worth the effort and extra cost. The engine runs at 207 degrees and the exhaust is right under my feet and after a long drive the floor is hardly warm to the touch. It's also quiet as a mouse. Now If I could do that to the Half hard top. I now have driven it over 500 miles.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
That is the best way to do it, find an empty parking lot and experiment :thumbsup:

I am running 28, could be lower, but when you get close to 20 on a 33x12.50x15, gets "squishy" feeling on the interstate :twocents:
28 works well for me too.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
28 works well for me too.
I'll try 28lbs tomorrow but that's as low as I'm going. 32 worked pretty good today.
I'm too cheap to buy chalk but I'm going to use a 15 year old bag of flour. Shows how often I cook.

Last edited:

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
I'll try 28lbs tomorrow but that's as low as I'm going. 32 worked pretty good today.
I'm too cheap to buy chalk but I'm going to use a 15 year old bag of flour. Shows how often I cook.

We learn how to save money in many ways. So we can build "New Scramblers" and important stuff like SOA Nationals and "Sand Blast" :thumbsup: :bacon: :wave:

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I am running 32 as well, but I am thinking I will do the test and see if 30 or 28 is better. And I think I have some old sidewalk chalk I can use rather than the flour in the pantry.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
I think I found my magic pressure at 28lbs with the Michelins. The Scrambler still corners as well as before and the ride has improved a bunch.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
My stick figure family.

Attachments

• stick figure.jpg
    stick figure.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 133

bordo380

CJ-8 Member
City
Arlington
State
Tx
Things look great but we would like to see the new Tires.... Please..! :)
How's that AC working out down by the bayou?

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
Well here's a picture with the 30" Michelins.
We get at least 90 days a year with temps over 90 degrees. At 90 ambient temp the air is coming out of my vents at 40 degrees, that's as good as it gets.
Just for kicks I added a picture of my H1 with it's stock 38" Nitto tires.

Attachments

• IMG_1379.jpg
    IMG_1379.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1380.jpg
    IMG_1380.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1431.jpg
    IMG_1431.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 121