• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

1984 CJ-8 Project...here we go

1984CJ-EIGHT

City
Austin
State
TX
Now onto the second issue.......time to fix the horn. Cant seem to get a 12v signal from the horn wire. I replaced the horn and the horn relay. I'll keep at it, but if anyone knows of any common CJ horn issues, please let me know.
Love this forum!.....

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Now onto the second issue.......time to fix the horn. Cant seem to get a 12v signal from the horn wire. I replaced the horn and the horn relay. I'll keep at it, but if anyone knows of any common CJ horn issues, please let me know.
Love this forum!.....
As with most Jeep electrical problems it could be a ground issue...
if you aren't getting the + 12vdc at the horn then follow the steps in the following posts.

1668838422799.png

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Check for corrosion on the horn contactor plate/pieces that are part of the steering wheel assembly.

1984CJ-EIGHT

City
Austin
State
TX
Wow nice detail FLCJ8. Thank you very much for the schematics. I narrowed it down to a weak ground...we got noise! The old horn was bad however, I tested it by hooking it up to the battery and nothing.

Spankrjs, that would have been my next move. Thank you.

Almost legal! All I need are seatbelts and to wire up the dash. I can at least get it inspected and registered so I can drive it around a bit.

I figured out most of the dash lighting and most of it works except for the dash courtesy lighting that illuminates the knob functions/descriptions. It's the orange (pos) wires that don't get power when I turn on the lights. I did see that this plug (see below in red) is unplugged buts some of these wires get power whenever the headlights are turned on, so I'm wondering if this is supposed to plug into something? Its located left of the steering wheel, next to the headlight switch. Was initially thinking it may be a fuse holder to power the lights, but looks more like a plug. looking at schematics to try to figure it out.....
wiring next to headlights.jpg

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
I figured out most of the dash lighting and most of it works except for the dash courtesy lighting that illuminates the knob functions/descriptions. It's the orange (pos) wires that don't get power when I turn on the lights.

I believe these are the dash lights you are talking about.
Looks like the 3a. ACC. LPS fuse is fed from the headlight switch.

1669011116014.png
I did see that this plug (see below in red) is unplugged buts some of these wires get power whenever the headlights are turned on, so I'm wondering if this is supposed to plug into something?
As Kim stated, that looks like the plug for the fog lights harness.

1984CJ-EIGHT

City
Austin
State
TX
Could be the fog light relay connector but after looking it up, the oem style shows to be a cross-shaped 4 wire connector (see pic), where the one I found is a flat 4 wire connector.

3F8B8C39-0C2B-4DAA-8F48-B27A2C21E50B.jpeg

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
It looks like the connector for the harness, not the one that connects to the relay:

1669041287898.png

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
This shows where the connector C108 feeds the harness for the fog lights, the relay plug is fed from the FL switch also

Fog Harness.PNG

1984CJ-EIGHT

City
Austin
State
TX
FLCJ8, brilliant. got it. Now I guess I'll be adding OEM fog lights at some point since the harness accommodates it!
Also, I think I know what the inline fuse look like. as your first diagram shows in post #71, it only has two wires going to it. All I have to do is find it and I bet that's my problem. Looking at the Painless Wiring diagram, it should look something like this...

By the way, anyone troubleshooting wiring should check out this extremely helpful Painless Wiring harness replacement instructions PDF. Even if you are not replacing the harness, it explains when everything goes in great detail:

inline fuse.jpg

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
FLCJ8, brilliant. got it. Now I guess I'll be adding OEM fog lights at some point since the harness accommodates it!
The hard part is finding the OEM fog light switch. Rare as hens teeth, and when one is found they are $$$$.

1984CJ-EIGHT

City
Austin
State
TX
ag4ever, you are right. None to be found! Also cant seem to find the T176 4wd indicator/reverse light harness either.