Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Battery and starter cables installed/routed/secured. I left the positive cable off of the battery for now.

20210101_121338.jpg

Secured the cables with a big plastic clip on the fender. I put a piece of plastic loom on the cables just for the hell of it, helps to better secure the cables inside the plastic loom clip.

20210101_121349.jpg

The negative cable connects to the block where my finger is pointing. I routed the ground up above the oil filter to make oil filter access easier.

20210101_121416.jpg

Put a sleeve over the starter cable to precent it from shorting out by rubbing on the fender. I will add a plastic clip down here to further secure this cable.

20210101_122356.jpg

Trying to burn through easy to install parts, I changed the oil. It was nasty. I was going to wait until I had the engine running before I changed it for the first time, glad I did not wait, it was nasty.

20210101_132733.jpg

The engine had a "short" oil filter installed, brand I have never heard of?

20210101_132755.jpg

Sun was out, no rain, not too cold, so perfect weather for sitting outside and cleaning up some OEM parts before I reinstall them.

20210101_142201.jpg

EGR valve, three under hood metal fuel lines, a metal vacuum line, and the air cleaner housing valve cover mounted base.

Dremel tool, steel wool, and time. While not "perfect", much better, and will not look out of place with all the new parts/paint.

Left is after, Right is before:

20210101_143729.jpg

Got most of them cleaned up before the sun set.

20210101_172747.jpg

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
The EGR valve tests fine, so I spent some time cleaning it up. I will reinstall it into the intake manifold, but I might not hook it up.

A few picture of some of the markings that were on it. I will have to run the part number and see if it is even the correct valve. I do know it will plug the hole in the intake just fine LOL.

20210101_172826.jpg 20210101_172904.jpg 20210101_172919.jpg 20210101_172944.jpg 20210101_173029.jpg

It was a major PIA scraping what was left of the old gasket off the back of the valve!!!

I plan on working on it again tomorrow, knocking out some more easy tasks.

That's it for now.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Spent over half the day gathering up odd ball missing supplies at 5 different parts stores, so minor progress today. Taking tomorrow off.

EGR installed, metal fuel return line loosely in place, brake booster vacuum line attached, rusty throttle springs dangling off their bracket:

20210102_155248.jpg

Installed the metal fuel line that comes up from the fuel pump and over the valve cover, plus the rubber fuel line from the frame rail to the fuel pump. I used high pressure fuel hose and fuel injection clamps, even though it will have a carburetor.

20210102_155303.jpg

Trying to remember where this bracket goes. I know it came from the driver side, and the rubber fuel return line went through the loop. Somewhere down low, either off the block or ???

20210102_155342.jpg

Coolant hoses:

20210102_160256.jpg

Upper and lower radiator hoses:

20210102_160305.jpg

The hoses I use for the water pump to heater core, heater core to back of intake manifold, and front of intake to thermostat housing:

20210102_160325.jpg

Started running coolant hoses, ran out of daylight. Break time now. Doesn't take long to fill up the nice clean engine bay:

20210102_164413.jpg

That's it for now!!

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Trying to remember where this bracket goes. I know it came from the driver side, and the rubber fuel return line went through the loop. Somewhere down low, either off the block or ???

View attachment 90516
This looks like passenger side, behind the alternator. attaches to the block and it holds the coolant hose away from the block to go to the thermostat area to hook in.... no?

cb

cb

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
This looks like passenger side, behind the alternator. attaches to the block and it holds the coolant hose away from the block to go to the thermostat area to hook in.... no?

cb

cb
No, the metal loop is just big enough for a 1/4" ID fuel line to pass through. IIRC, it came off the driver side and held the rubber portion of the return line off the engine or fender? It held the rubber return fuel line, somewhere between the frame mounted hard return line and the other metal return line that drops down off the fuel filter. Just can't remember/see where it went??

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
No, the metal loop is just big enough for a 1/4" ID fuel line to pass through. IIRC, it came off the driver side and held the rubber portion of the return line off the engine or fender? It held the rubber return fuel line, somewhere between the frame mounted hard return line and the other metal return line that drops down off the fuel filter. Just can't remember/see where it went??
Not going to be much help, but I checked my '83.
Mine has a metal loop on the hard line from the filter to the rubber line that I believe you are talking about. It is bolted by the rearmost bolt for the power steering bracket.
The rubber line between that block mounted hard line and the frame mounted hardline doesn't currently have a strap.
By the length and position of the rubber line it appears it would be secured to the fender (if it was on).

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Not going to be much help, but I checked my '83.
Mine has a metal loop on the hard line from the filter to the rubber line that I believe you are talking about. It is bolted by the rearmost bolt for the power steering bracket.
The rubber line between that block mounted hard line and the frame mounted hardline doesn't currently have a strap.
By the length and position of the rubber line it appears it would be secured to the fender (if it was on).
Yep, I have the little bracket/clip that secures the vertical hard line to the rear most lower power steering pump bracket to block bolt.

I am almost positive the bracket I pictured secured the rubber portion of the return line, maybe to the fender, could be losing my mind??

I'll look back at my Spring Special thread, I might have a picture of it there. I need to hurry up with JeepAddicts red Scrambler so I will have my SS for spring 😆

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
I am almost positive the bracket I pictured secured the rubber portion of the return line, maybe to the fender, could be losing my mind??
Yeah, my rubber portion of the line looks like it would secure to the fender if it was on.
Someone has to have a stock setup still, just have to wait till they see this post.
At least I'm helping by keeping it active :shrug:
With all your pics you'll be busy for a while looking for it.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Dave the Sparky and FLCJ8 are correct, it goes on the EGR valve, hangs down, holds a vapor line :cheers:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
More easy work.

Ordered this fan shroud:

20210112_172716.jpg

20210112_172731.jpg

Much thinner than the two core radiator shroud, and a smaller fan opening vs the larger two core radiators larger diameter clutch fan.

Two core shroud below:

20210112_172807.jpg

As much as I bad mouth Crown/Omix parts, their fan shrouds fit pretty good.

Three core radiator, three core shroud, smaller OD non clutch fan, fit together well:

20210112_174552.jpg

Fan fits correctly at the top of the shroud. Shroud really does not contain fan at the bottom. BUT, I might have the grill pulled too far back at the top to get the fender/grill lines to match up.

20210112_174620.jpg

That or the transmission may be sitting a bit too high. I will probably revisit this once the Scrambler is back on the ground.

Installed the radiator/heater hoses. The upper and lower radiator hoses are easy enough. The two hoses to/from the heater core only require trimming to suit how you want to route. All pretty easy.

20210112_181936.jpg

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I have been using this pre-moulded hose to run from the thermostat housing to the front of the intake manifold on stock 258 engines:

20210112_182002.jpg

20210112_182006.jpg

I found the part number on the internet, hose works great with a little work, much better than a big loop of heater hose up front.

The problem with this engine, easy to fix, was the front manifold heater hose fitting. It had this angled fitting that would not work with the hose:

20210112_182120.jpg

Easy enough to remove this fitting and swap it for a straight fitting:

20210112_182216.jpg

The manifold is tapped for 3/8 pipe thread, not easy to find at hardware/plumbing shops, but easy to find at auto parts places:

20210112_182225.jpg

New fitting installed, before cutting the hose:

20210112_182422.jpg

Trim the hose, install, like it was made for this application:

20210112_182809.jpg

Don't throw away the cut off piece!!

20210112_182820.jpg

Works perfect as a heater box drain pipe hose extension!!!

20210112_182857.jpg

Still have a few odds and ends to finish up here, mainly installing the carburetor, priming oil pump, checking mechanical advance curve plate in the distributor, a few vacuum/vapor hoses/PCV system hoses, but getting closer to firing this thing back up:

20210112_183259.jpg

Might switch gears and install all the new rear brake parts next. This will help clear out the bed of parts, and I am burnt out of working on the engine LOL.

That's it for now.

Last edited:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
So, decided to take a break from the engine stuff and work on rear brakes.

On jack stands, noticed something wrong as soon as I pulled off the tires.

20210115_164410.jpg

Just to confirm, but both rear axle bearings have way too much end play, should be around .005 MAX:

20210115_172629.jpg

Strike 1.

Using the trusty hub puller:

20210115_174853.jpg

Driver side hub would NOT come off. Put a little heat too hit, it came off, but the damage was done:

20210115_182540.jpg

Strike 2.

Yep, bent the axle hub with the puller.

This is the 2nd time I have damaged a hub using the correct puller. For now on, if it won't budge after reasonable time/force, a little heat will be the magic trick.

Good news, amazingly, I found a NOS Jeep/Mopar hub on eBay and bought it. Already iffy using stock axles, NO way I will use a made in China axle hub. The NOS hub was made in Canada, eh.

Excessive bearing play meant everything inside the drums was covered in grease, like the back of this hub:

20210116_095336.jpg

Used the torch, 20 seconds on each Torx bolt, all 12 diff cover bolts came out no problem.

20210116_104542.jpg

All of these bolts have some kind of factory thread locker on them, like the shackle hanger/steering box mount bolts had on them. The torch/heat breaks it free and will enable the bolts to come out without stripping the stupid star out.

The fluid that came out was purplish, and the diff cover had a rubber gasket, maybe OEM that has never been changed/removed???

20210116_104549.jpg

So pulled the differential cover off to drain the fluid, and to prevent it from leaking down the axle tubes once I pull the axles shafts out.

What do you know:

20210116_104621.jpg

20210116_120009.jpg

Hard to see, but one tooth busted off the driver side differential side gear.

Strike 3.