• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

2019 EJS and SOA National/Sand Hollow prep/trip

AJ2393

Scrambled in the Head
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
North Dighton
State
MA
This may be wishful thinking.. but these road trips really need some maps with markers on your route so we can see where you have been and where your going. Also we could also see where all these food places and campgrounds are located as well. Again, it's probably not a logical wish, but never being to these places a good old map gives a good frame of reference.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
This may be wishful thinking.. but these road trips really need some maps with markers on your route so we can see where you have been and where your going. Also we could also see where all these food places and campgrounds are located as well. Again, it's probably not a logical wish, but never being to these places a good old map gives a good frame of reference.

I just got the laptop out to give this a try and it's next to impossible. There's a limit on the desinations google maps will let you do and trying to force it to do the backroads that I took means having to add in intermediate waypoints that kills the limit too quickly. Sorry.

I don't have it in me to try to print a map detailed enough to show the backroads and highlight it, etc...

AJ2393

Scrambled in the Head
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
North Dighton
State
MA
I just got the laptop out to give this a try and it's next to impossible. There's a limit on the desinations google maps will let you do and trying to force it to do the backroads that I took means having to add in intermediate waypoints that kills the limit too quickly. Sorry.

I don't have it in me to try to print a map detailed enough to show the backroads and highlight it, etc...

I appreciate the attempt, I know it was a tall order.

Moabite

CJ-8 Member
City
Moab
State
UT
You escaped from Moab just in time. Dispatch just said they received a call from the Sand Flats booth saying traffic was backed up all the way down the hill and they were getting complaints about traffic jams on Hell's Revenge. Welcome to the new Moab.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
You escaped from Moab just in time. Dispatch just said they received a call from the Sand Flats booth saying traffic was backed up all the way down the hill and they were getting complaints about traffic jams on Hell's Revenge. Welcome to the new Moab.

This week? Wow! I thought it emptied out by now and it was a "normal" weekend.

Moabite

CJ-8 Member
City
Moab
State
UT
Welcome to the new normal. I think a lot of people have been advised to avoid the crowds during Jeep Safari so they crowd into town before or afterwards.

Last edited:

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
BW, do you use a GPS on your travels? You could plot the crumb trails which would transfer to a kml/kmz for google earth.

surfjeepzx

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Wilbur by the Sea
State
FL
Nice trip report BW, I enjoyed the travel log so far. My friend got back from visiting his sister out that last week. He commented on all the Jeeps out there knowing I'd be interested. Have fun and keep the pics coming!
This week here in Daytona is Jeep Beach Week, Mostly all the new stuff rolling around.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Leg 2 complete — 2,888 miles. Back roads today from Cedar City to St George. Just a couple small climbs and more great scenery. Cross wind was nuts at times, hitting straight in my earhole and rattling the sunglasses.

Last summit before dropping into St George. This was the Dixie National Forest again on the other side of I-15 on Rt 18.
DA67CE42-40B8-4A6D-9212-DE0E9296F5D1.jpeg195291E6-FC44-4A24-B29C-20BD58B6FE8F.jpeg

Some really interesting rock formations just before hitting St George

25718E90-6C99-47F3-B09C-9535A5CC118C.jpeg0517428B-7CFD-47FB-83AA-27AAB8A97A50.jpegF4896EF6-40C7-45B9-9341-D27B621E763B.jpeg

An overlook above downtown St George. B59D5134-444D-4B13-8AE6-BABEA383D9F6.jpeg48F2010D-DAE4-4216-8E0F-EA196790A7FA.jpeg

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
This week here in Daytona is Jeep Beach Week, Mostly all the new stuff rolling around.

JPFreek has a JLU build in the JKS booth, Orange 2.0L on 37s. My graphic designer and editor Jacob is there, bearded guy, blue glasses. Can’t miss either of them.

Moabite

CJ-8 Member
City
Moab
State
UT
It's great that the Postal is taking you on such scenic routes. The backroads are always more fun. I'm enjoying the photos and looking forward to lots of pix from the SOA National. Another Moab traffic update: I just heard dispatch tell the city officers that they are getting numerous complaints about traffic being at a standstill. I just don't understand. People crowd into Moab and then dial 911 to complain about overcrowding. At the moment, it is backed up from the river bridge all the way to the south side of town. This year's Jeep Safari was surprisingly uncrowded and un-eventful.

Last edited:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
At the moment, it is backed up from the river bridge all the way to the south side of town. This year's Jeep Safari was surprisingly uncrowded and un-eventful.

That just blows my mind. Two days extra on either end of EJS and it was never anything remotely CLOSE to that. :eek:

masscj2a

Rebuilding America's Jeep
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
Dude I got to tell you, your a maniac, just like me. It's drive and go. Hope someday we can make a trip out of this. Thanks for sharing. Still Loving your rig. Someday, I need to get me a postal or at least the. Top. Keep sharing.

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
It’s VERY cool to see the stock cj5 in the middle of all of the built crawlers. BW, you have a great eye. I really appreciate you taking the time to share all you do. ??

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
It’s VERY cool to see the stock cj5 in the middle of all of the built crawlers. BW, you have a great eye. I really appreciate you taking the time to share all you do. ??

Thanks, it shocked me to see. On the way out there was a nice CJ-7 with loads of desert patina but I couldn’t stop to get a pic in traffic.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Things got good today. Scrambler folks rolling in, the crazy rock climbing competition, moonshine and a “scenic” late afternoon run that got rather interesting and kept us on the trail until past 9. Hit In-n-Out Burger after 10 to finally get dinner. Awesome stuff though!

15352523-1CCB-4EF8-89F3-81BF4F930AF7.jpegDF4F9889-BC51-4C6B-B453-5302072526E9.jpegF42752FC-EF65-4434-9D79-418844912996.jpeg1B358F20-5C3B-43A9-9666-CB97DF71CE70.jpeg2F668BBA-723A-4154-8215-0DA8ED28EAEA.jpeg31A93481-AA44-469D-90B2-A45B967C587F.jpegC451E1B9-75C4-4945-A3F6-BFAB3E33D95C.jpeg66C1F7D1-E548-4222-AE13-9D42A6B267BB.jpeg7A24074B-CBAD-4F10-8F72-97BD83DAE4A1.jpeg5B179A46-8574-4966-B409-5A55E01858F7.jpeg