• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

304 & 999 Scrambler Build

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
304 & 999 Build 003.jpg
I started this build over the summer while I was waiting for my extended Scrambler frame to be welded. This frame needed a few repairs and that went quick. Had it sandblasted, then I painted it and started putting it together. I had picked up the 304 with 20K miles on it and wanted to do a Scrambler with an AMC V8. Got the headers along with the engine. The driver side header had to have an offset put in it where it go into the flange. I have to change the shift linkage for the 999 to clear the header. One picture shows the modification of that header. These pictures I took from my neighbor's garage who is welding up my exhaust. I remember Jim posting a picture of dual exhaust that he did by moving the gas tank to the center. So that is what I did. This will be an old-school build with mostly AMC parts. All stainless brake lines are on up to the proportioning valve. Got new drums and rotors to go with the usual brake parts. Going to need fuel and transmission lines made up, and the exhaust finished, and then I'll need to start getting a body ready. Now that I can attach pictures from my computer I'll be able to show more pictures.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
304 & 999 Build 001.jpg304 & 999 Build 003.jpg
I'm still debating on if I want a carburetor or TBI. As much as I like the older simpler ways, seems like TBI on a 304 should respond well and get decent mileage.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
304 & 999 Build 002.jpg
I'm looking forward to the sound of the 304 with headers. Seems like the perfect size V8. Ford had the 302 (or 5.0) and Chevy had a 305. Aftermarket performance parts were made for all three. And I can bolt in the 304 with all AMC stock parts. How cool is that!

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
Lifetime Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD
Very Cool!! :headbang: I need to look into this myself. I've been going back and forth, but I think this would be in my sweet spot of resto mod. Especially with FI.

Chris V.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
304 Dual Exhaust 004.jpg
Finally got my chassis back from my neighbor who did the exhaust. Probably should put some heat shield on the sides of the gas tank. Don't know if is would get hot enough back there to be necessary. He put the two stock exhaust hanger blocks in the crossmember behind the tank to support the tail pipes. I'm keeping this Scrambler close to stock height. I used leaf springs from a CJ7 and shackles from a YJ. YJ shackles are a little taller and the CJ7 springs are probably a little softer. Hopefully that will even thing out. Nice to have it back in my garage.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
FWIW

I ran headers on my ‘76 CJ7 with a 304. Even after having a professional race shop wrap them I still fought High temps. After countless hours and $ I switched back to factory manifolds and all was great.

I have a 304 in my crambler and factory manifolds now as well.

If you are dead set on the headers (which seems like you are being this far into it) is highly suggest keeping your fuel lines far away from the headers, get them wrapped, and work out some heat shields in the engine bay. Not trying to be a negative Nancy just don’t want to see you have issues with heat.

I was able to get the sound I wanted with better mufflers on both CJs

Lastly, THANK YOU for keeping it AMC!

Jeepskate

Insane in the Membrane
City
Christiansted
State
VI
Following this one...doing a 360/999 old-school flavored resto-mod build on mine. Engine is in the shop now & my cousin who was like Joe Mondello's adopted son just offered to do the heads for me. Picked up the trans from the shop a couple of weeks ago & picked up the t-case today. Sticking with the stock manifolds and will probably go TBI.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Following this one...doing a 360/999 old-school flavored resto-mod build on mine. Engine is in the shop now & my cousin who was like Joe Mondello's adopted son just offered to do the heads for me. Picked up the trans from the shop a couple of weeks ago & picked up the t-case today. Sticking with the stock manifolds and will probably go TBI.

I picked up this 304 with 20K on it since rebuild. It came with the headers so I'm using them. Your column shifting linkage will work easier with the stock manifolds. I have to raise miine up and modify it to clear the header. I installed the bar between the motor mounts the other day. If AMC thought it was necessary with the 6 cyl, then it is probably a good idea to have it with the V8.

Jeepskate

Insane in the Membrane
City
Christiansted
State
VI
I picked up this 304 with 20K on it since rebuild. It came with the headers so I'm using them. Your column shifting linkage will work easier with the stock manifolds. I have to raise miine up and modify it to clear the header. I installed the bar between the motor mounts the other day. If AMC thought it was necessary with the 6 cyl, then it is probably a good idea to have it with the V8.

Mine came with the GM 4-banger and it has the bar as well.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
304 TBI 001.jpg304 TBI 002.jpg304 TBI 003.jpg
Got the TBI kit and installed some of it. . .carb and fuel pump and fuel lines. Installed the aluminum radiator and the transmission cooler lines. Pulled a throttle cable bracket off of another 304 and hung it on. Here's where I could use some help: I need kickdown linkage that works with the 304. Anyone have a picture of the throttle and kickdown linkage that came on the 304? Or the parts if you aren't using them. Or is there some solenoid actuated kickdown aftermarket setup available? I'm all for mechanical linkage if I can see how to do it. I've got some parts from a 258/automatic.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I used the throttle cable off of an '81, 304 CJ-7. I got the TP/Kickdown linkage for the engine side (I've got a 360) from a V-8 FSJ/Waggy and cobbled it together with 258 automatic stuff. It's worked fine for years. I can take some pix, if you'd like. If you want to just get it done, Lokar sells a TP cable set-up that works well.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Sorry I’m slow on the pictures, but here they are....

Attachments

• 15670585-688F-465D-9955-7E76C2264772.jpg
    15670585-688F-465D-9955-7E76C2264772.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 47
  • C7189E86-D6F4-451E-9F58-67D2133DF28C.jpg
    C7189E86-D6F4-451E-9F58-67D2133DF28C.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 47

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Thank you John. It looks like the kick down position on the TBI pulls on the rod. Is there some other linkage between the rod and the transmission?

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Thank you John. It looks like the kick down position on the TBI pulls on the rod. Is there some other linkage between the rod and the transmission?

There are several pieces between the tbi and the transmission. The engine parts I got off of a Waggy with a TF727, this piece connects to the stock 258/999 linkage and bolts to the back of the engine block. I have no way of getting a picture of it with the body on the Jeep.