• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

82 UK Spec Laredo Scrambler Build No 2

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I miss my Hilux I had in Australia: 3 litre turbo diesel. When we moved to America in 2013 I looked at them here but they only offer them with petrol pig V6s; thirsty as your drunk Aunt Nelly and slow as a wet week. So I bought a duramax Chevy and love it.

Dave The Sparky

Rebuilding my CJ8 very,very slowly...
City
Halifax
State
UK
I miss my Hilux I had in Australia: 3 litre turbo diesel. When we moved to America in 2013 I looked at them here but they only offer them with petrol pig V6s; thirsty as your drunk Aunt Nelly and slow as a wet week. So I bought a duramax Chevy and love it.

Got a 3 litre Toyota diesel in my CJ6 that i pulled from a 1996 4Runner i owned.
Last of the old style diesels with a proper pump before they got all the high pressure common rail and electronic injectors to get the emissions to cleaner levels.
Dont know what its like in the States but the 2018 Hilux i have now has done 40000 miles and there is no soot in the exhaust whatsoever its amazing what 20 years of technology has done to clean up diesels.

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
Got a 3 litre Toyota diesel in my CJ6 that i pulled from a 1996 4Runner i owned.
Last of the old style diesels with a proper pump before they got all the high pressure common rail and electronic injectors to get the emissions to cleaner levels.
Dont know what its like in the States but the 2018 Hilux i have now has done 40000 miles and there is no soot in the exhaust whatsoever its amazing what 20 years of technology has done to clean up diesels.
My 2020 3 litre duramax diesel has 8000 miles now and i can still run my finger inside the tailpipe and it stays clean. My 2005 Hilux was an efi turbo diesel. It was clean, but nothing like my duramax.

I'd love to see some pics of your D/CJ6, do you have a thread? I looked at importing a Hilux diesel for my CJ8 but petrol is so cheap here it's really hard to justify the cost... plus i dearly love the sound of my big V8 petrol lump!!!

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
No thread for the 6 as i built it getting on for 15 years ago now before i knew forums existed, sadly its been abused off road for the last 10 of those its not quite as shiny as it once was!.
Had tremendous fun with it though would still trust it to take me anywhere that thing, will see if i can get some photos.

Your Hilux 3.0D will of been the D4D model i guess? we got the 2.5 and the 3.0 here dont see so many about now though.

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
Mine was the year before the D4D. It was the 3.0 efi td. Great engine but the 5 speed it came with was rubbish: 5th gear never held up. It popped out of 5th every time you let up on the accelerator. I'd replace the synchro and a year later it would be doing it again. It was a flaw with that box.

Now my duramax has a 10 speed auto (my first auto). I'd prefer a manual, but if one has to have an auto, might as well have 10 speeds I reckon.

I'd love to see that 6 conversion. It's exactly what i wanted to do. I thought my scrambler would be really well suited to the 3.0 td.

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
No CJ6 pics yet! but tonight's progress, one D30 with a fresh pinion seal awaiting some steering knuckles.

20200602_205236.jpg

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
Next part that needs identification, something to do with the gas tank/skid plate i guess with the square holes but not sure what?.

20200604_185643_resized.jpg20200604_185659_resized.jpg20200604_185702_resized.jpg

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
No its the 15 gallon, it may be from somewhere else the Jeep came in many parts!

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
It almost looks like a reinforcement strip of some sort... so it would stiffen up the rear crossmember in the even that they rust out and get weak... I mean Jeeps don't rust, so I don't know why they would need that ;)

Do the holes line up with the gas tank holes if you were to overlay it?

cb

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
It almost looks like a reinforcement strip of some sort... so it would stiffen up the rear crossmember in the even that they rust out and get weak... I mean Jeeps don't rust, so I don't know why they would need that ;)

Do the holes line up with the gas tank holes if you were to overlay it?

cb
That is what I was thinking also.

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
Does not seem to match the skid plate so will see if i can find matching holes on the chassis when i get back to the workshop.

The chassis should hopefully be getting its rear cross member welded in tomorrow, going to strap it to the overhead crane first, hoist it in the air and empty out all the years of rust and crud in the chassis legs before they get blocked off with the cross member.

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
More Pink Panther paint applied, will be glad when i can put the paint brush down and start putting this thing back together.

20200605_200907.jpg

Mancunian

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
City
Bridgeport
State
WV
Look like some red lead paint i bought from the center of Derby many years ago?

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Look like some red lead paint i bought from the center of Derby many years ago?
Close, but the one I used back in the 70s on my wood sail boat was a darker shade , wonder if that stuff is even legal anymore.