• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

A Scrambler fell into my lap

Bobs85Reny

Legacy Registered User
City
Wayne
State
NJ
Very Nice! Not many Garnet interiors around. Probably one of the rarest color interiors. I have an 85 cj7 with same graphics and interior.

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
I'm in Thayer, Kansas. If it is close and I can help let me know.

If there is anyone coming east from Kansas, I will meet them in Indiana. I need to make a trip to Johnson City, Tennessee in the next week or two and can haul it to north Georgia if that would help.

by the way, WELCOME!

AtomicYJ

Basic User
City
Battle Ground
State
WA
I appreciate all the offers for help. The jeep is near Manhattan, KS. It won't be making the move for at least two months because I'll be pcsing shortly and would rather ship it once.

AtomicYJ

Basic User
City
Battle Ground
State
WA
I do have a couple of questions. The paint code is 4M which is charcoal metallic? I got a 1985 Jeep brochure, and charcoal metallic isn't listed as an option. The brochure also only lists the garnet interior available in the CJ-7 and not the Scrambler. Since this was AMC could this all have been special ordered?

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
I was told by the Teledo factory workers on the line the last 10 Scramblers off the line were charcoal metallic. I had one of them with the garnet interior. I'm 99.9% sure it was all factory. :wave:

Scramblin Man

Beyond help
Lifetime Member
City
Woodway
State
Tx
I know of one other 85 8 that is factory charcoal metallic. That particular 8 is a late production 85. I believe charcoal metallic is listed as an 86 color but it did end up on some late 85 productions. Was told this by someone I consider a cj expert.

onesourcemike

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Wilmington
State
NC
I do have a couple of questions. The paint code is 4M which is charcoal metallic? I got a 1985 Jeep brochure, and charcoal metallic isn't listed as an option. The brochure also only lists the garnet interior available in the CJ-7 and not the Scrambler. Since this was AMC could this all have been special ordered?

I have a 85 with factory garnet interior!!

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
Just about anything is possible with AMC. I was at Western Hills Jeepin 1973 the day they unloaded a blue Comando with a 401 in it straight fropm the factory. I craweled under it to confirm it. It was sold to Big Ed Kincle from Indiana. :wave:

revho

$9.00 vanilla malt
Lifetime Member
City
beaverdam
State
MI
Just about anything is possible with AMC. I was at Western Hills Jeepin 1973 the day they unloaded a blue Comando with a 401 in it straight fropm the factory. I craweled under it to confirm it. It was sold to Big Ed Kincle from Indiana. :wave:

How big was Big Ed, did he live up to his name?

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Oh wow, love that patina.

I almost bought an 85 CJ-7 that was 4M paint code. Only had about 45K on it back in 1992-93, but had more mechanical issues that I wanted at the time and I was looking for a hardtop. Back then one could be picky about finding CJ's.

My best friend growing up also had an 86 Renegade that was that color with orange stripes.

Awesome find. Can't wait to see you clean it up.

AtomicYJ

Basic User
City
Battle Ground
State
WA
Oh wow, love that patina.

I almost bought an 85 CJ-7 that was 4M paint code. Only had about 45K on it back in 1992-93, but had more mechanical issues that I wanted at the time and I was looking for a hardtop. Back then one could be picky about finding CJ's.

My best friend growing up also had an 86 Renegade that was that color with orange stripes.

Awesome find. Can't wait to see you clean it up.

Thank you. I'm excited to finally get it and get it running again

Last edited:

AtomicYJ

Basic User
City
Battle Ground
State
WA
Finally got my Scrambler transported down to Georgia. It was a nightmare. Was supposed to be here five weeks ago.

Its in really good shape, just needs a very, very deep cleaning. Then I can start figuring out what I need to do to get it running again. Need to find a few original parts that were replaced. It also has three gun racks in it.

Kinda sad the AMC20 has an A code. 3.54 gears with a four cylinder doesn‘t seem like a great combo. That can be fixed later though.

Attachments

• B1E73042-0342-442E-AA18-909F78F3542B.jpeg
    B1E73042-0342-442E-AA18-909F78F3542B.jpeg
    175.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 39EB1C7F-9D4D-46BD-BDAA-E4976ADF247E.jpeg
    39EB1C7F-9D4D-46BD-BDAA-E4976ADF247E.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 55