• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Another Scrambler Concept Vehicle (and other Jeeps)

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
Looks like someone let their JL spend too much time with a Chevy Avalanche. I like both ends.... but the door area is a bit funky.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Looks like someone let their JL spend too much time with a Chevy Avalanche. I like both ends.... but the door area is a bit funky.
I actually like it how the line of the door follows the front edge of the fender flare. If it didn't, you'd get into the weird stuff that goes on on a Gladiator between the rear door, edge of the body, start of the bed and the fender. It's always looked awkward to me.

Ron84cj

Engine nerd
Lifetime Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually don't completely hate it either. Looks like a fun buggy of sorts. Interesting...

Oakley

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Cumming
State
GA
So top picture has 392 in front of back tire and second picture has it on hood. You mean to tell me they couldn’t spring for 4 more cubic inches to have the Chevy big block in it! Yep I’m sure I hate it😂😂😂

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
I actually like it how the line of the door follows the front edge of the fender flare. If it didn't, you'd get into the weird stuff that goes on on a Gladiator between the rear door, edge of the body, start of the bed and the fender. It's always looked awkward to me.

True, I have un-fond memories of banging into the door opening on flat fenders and CJ5s. That said this does have a decent flow to it. It could grow on me. The practical side of me just doesn't like the thought of a proprietary door!

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
So top picture has 392 in front of back tire and second picture has it on hood. You mean to tell me they couldn’t spring for 4 more cubic inches to have the Chevy big block in it! Yep I’m sure I hate it😂😂😂
Huh? It's running their 392 Hemi, it's based on the 392 JLU. Why would they ever put a Chevy in?

Ron84cj

Engine nerd
Lifetime Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
Unless I'm remembering something wrong here. I don't think Chevy had a "400" big block since like 1970 or 71 ish? Turbo Fire 400! Lol. All it was was a 396 big block. So there wasn't really a 400 big block Chevy. The actual 400 was a small block. Any modern V8 whether LS, hemi, Toyota or whatever will absolutely spank that crap out of those older slightly larger displacement motors. The modern cylinder head technology is light-years better. It's just crazy what the car manufacturers are cranking out power wise out of a once considered "small" 5.7. Good times 🤟

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
If I was a lot younger and not so busted up, this would have been in my list of things to build. But just like the “Roadtrip” Waggy concept, it ain’t going to happen.

I love it. Imagine how much fun that would be with a 392. It would be like driving a monster truck or a pro street car. I’ll bet you just couldn’t keep your foot out of the go pedal.

This Scrambler concept reminds me of days gone by…I wanted to build a streetable rear engine LS powered long travel Manx too… die hard throttle junkie. I actually had a parts list at one time, including a kit that would allow me to register it as a VW.

Sorta like this:

Last edited:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
If I was a lot younger and not so busted up, this would have been in my list of things to build. But just like the “Roadtrip” Waggy concept, it ain’t going to happen.

I love it. Imagine how much fun that would be with a 392. It would be like driving a monster truck or a pro street car. I’ll bet you just couldn’t keep your foot out of the go pedal.

This Scrambler concept reminds me of days gone by…I wanted to build a streetable rear engine LS powered long travel Manx too… die hard throttle junkie. I actually had a parts list at one time, including a kit that would allow me to register it as a VW.

Sorta like this:
Lot of those running around the Silver Lake Sand Dunes brother. Twin turbos and all the fun bits.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I like parts of the concept, but not the sail panels. Too bad this will never see production in any remote way. Too bad they don’t make a 2 door gladiator. Too bad they don’t put the 392 in the gladiator. Too bad this is (rumored to be) the last year for the 392 in the JLU. Hopefully the I-6 Hurricane 3.0 will find its way into the JLU.

Hopefully this means Gecko will be an available color for ‘24. Mojito would be even better. A 2 door JT with a 392 in Mojito would go really well with my JLU 4xe in Reign. That would be a nice set! I would have a hard time deciding which one to drive.

Ron84cj

Engine nerd
Lifetime Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
The old 396 BBC was actually 402 inches
Yes, when it was bored .030 over

Bore for the 396 was 4.094 and the stroke was 3.76. The cubic inch equation is bore x bore x stroke x .7854 x number of cylinders. So in the case of the 396

4.094 x 4.094 x 3.76 x .7854 x 8 = 395.971

Here's .030 over.
4.124 x 4.124 x 3.76 x .7854 x 8 = 401.796

Yes I realize I'm a nerd.

Last edited: