• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Ball and Buck CJ-8?!?!

Ron84cj

Engine nerd
Lifetime Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
Also, Ronald Reagan used his CJ6 on the ranch. But still very cool though ?

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Also, Ronald Reagan used his CJ6 on the ranch. But still very cool though ?

Nancy bought him an 8 after a ranch hand rolled his 6, so technically he used both on the ranch. Mikhail Gorbachev was famously driven around the ranch in the 8.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
No, and I’ve never heard of Ball and Buck either.

Very cool though! (Author forgot about the MJs though in his comment about the last Jeep truck)
I've heard of Ball and Buck, I'm just surprised it was not Orvis that came up with the idea.

jak inc

I H8 RUST!
Lifetime Member
City
Merton
State
WI
I can't locate the picture but I believe Orvis had a scrambler built out for one of their ads a while back.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
I can't locate the picture but I believe Orvis had a scrambler built out for one of their ads a while back.
That's kinda what I was thinking. Seems like it was about either pants or a jacket the guy was wearing

Cincyjeeprs

CJ-8 Member
SOA Member
City
Cincinnati
State
Oh

Very cool though! (Author forgot about the MJs though in his comment about the last Jeep truck)

Yeah, conveniently ignored that J-10s were sold through the 1987 (edit) model year, too. Would like to see an AMC 360/401 engine option.

Last edited:

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Its already a disaster when the photo shows on the "reserve one page" a mixture of torx bolts on the door and allen heads on the hinge. I bet the tailgate hinges will be upside down too. For 65-95K? Give me a break. :mad:

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ

Good point...the MJ really is the answer to that question as they were produced through 1992. The J series barely made it into 1988.

Cincyjeeprs

CJ-8 Member
SOA Member
City
Cincinnati
State
Oh
Good point...the MJ really is the answer to that question as they were produced through 1992. The J series barely made it into 1988.
I thought the J-trucks rans longer, but you are right. Probably a few leftover '87s on the lot in '88. I know they were there when we bought our first XJ in '87. Chrysler killed them all off as soon as they could after the takeover in '87. Boo hiss.

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Its already a disaster when the photo shows on the "reserve one page" a mixture of torx bolts on the door and allen heads on the hinge. I bet the tailgate hinges will be upside down too. For 65-95K? Give me a break. :mad:
BallandBuckCJ814.progressive.jpg

Tailgate hinges seem to be correct. Gosh I hate those chicken wire light covers. Straight outta JC Whitney:
BallandBuckCJ820.progressive.jpg

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
Nancy bought him an 8 after a ranch hand rolled his 6, so technically he used both on the ranch. Mikhail Gorbachev was famously driven around the ranch in the 8.
I thought he decided the 8 was too nice for actual farm work, and kept it essentially just for easy drives around the property and tours, while he kept running the 6 for actual ranch jobs?

cw05

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Augusta
State
GA
It will be interesting to see how many the sell at these proposed prices. Brings to mind the old quote about a fool and his money being easily parted

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
So how do you all think they are building these? Restoring existing Scramblers or building up from scratch? Either way, the price tag is very high.

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
So how do you all think they are building these? Restoring existing Scramblers or building up from scratch? Either way, the price tag is very high.
Somewhere I read they need something to start with that the client needs to provide.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
The price tag isn't crazy. If you consider what other places charge for a turn-key built Jeep (Toy Box Jeeps) or even ICON building FJs and Broncos in the 6 figures, Ball and Buck isn't out of their mind with the prices. Also they are not going after the masses. HOWEVER the quality and who is actually building these Jeeps (and the above pics are scaring me as I type this) is the real question. You have to have built a reputation for turning out amazing builds to command those prices. Last I saw ICON has a long waiting list and I have a friend that has seen and driven one of their FJs and was speechless at the quality. Most of these buyers have money to spend and want something different. They'd spend the same amount on an AMG Mercedes, etc.. so the custom built Jeep/Toyota/Ford is right up their alley. Again, not mass market. Build 3-4 6 figure builds a year and that's a nice year.

I hope to one day be able to command somewhere near what these guys do. In the meantime I will continue to build, learn, grow, and perfect my builds at my shop.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
The price tag isn't crazy. If you consider what other places charge for a turn-key built Jeep (Toy Box Jeeps) or even ICON building FJs and Broncos in the 6 figures, Ball and Buck isn't out of their mind with the prices. Also they are not going after the masses. HOWEVER the quality and who is actually building these Jeeps (and the above pics are scaring me as I type this) is the real question. You have to have built a reputation for turning out amazing builds to command those prices. Last I saw ICON has a long waiting list and I have a friend that has seen and driven one of their FJs and was speechless at the quality. Most of these buyers have money to spend and want something different. They'd spend the same amount on an AMG Mercedes, etc.. so the custom built Jeep/Toyota/Ford is right up their alley. Again, not mass market. Build 3-4 6 figure builds a year and that's a nice year.

I hope to one day be able to command somewhere near what these guys do. In the meantime I will continue to build, learn, grow, and perfect my builds at my shop.

Adam, that was my plan. I just wish I had started 10 Years ago. Unfortunately, I got too old and slow much too fast. In retrospect I should have gotten a loan, hired some guys, and just went for it. But hindsight is always 20-20. I wish you the best- I still think there is a huge untapped market for restomod Scramblers/FSJ's/J-trucks.