• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Best battery

83CJ-8

Trying to catch up
Gold Member
Silver Member
City
Lewes
State
DE
If you looking for the cheapest, Walmart

But top of the line, Odyssey Battery 3478PC1500DT Group Size 34 850 CCA. The one in my Trailblazer is going on 11 yea
rs!

Last edited:

wjtstudios

1985 CJ 8
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rochester
State
Mi
I second the Odyssey. I have two in my JK and have two going into the Scrambler. Best batteries and a great warranty if something goes wrong

CHIEFWAHO

SOA VP
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
SOA Board Member
City
Thayer
State
KS
Have not had one too long, so don't know about the best but price is right ($120) at Sam's club.

Duracell Automotive Battery - Group Size 34/78

1603231331855.png

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I got a bigger battery in my 86 CJ7 by removing 2 screws or screws bolts and removing and space back by the firewall edge of the battery tray. Same price for bigger battery at BJ's wholesale club.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
I got a bigger battery in my 86 CJ7 by removing 2 screws or screws bolts and removing and space back by the firewall edge of the battery tray. Same price for bigger battery at BJ's wholesale club.
I removed those also for bigger batteries, mainly because my buddy gives me batteries that come out of certified pre owned cars. Free is always great.

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
You guys probably won't believe this but mine has the 2013 dated Walmart battery in it from when i purchased it from the PO. Sat for a couple of long years during the resto, still cranking fine.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Here's a question for yall.

I've bought a couple of Yuasa batteries for ATV's. If you buy the actual Yuasa battery, it comes flooded. If you buy the Honda part, you get a Yuasa battery that is empty, with the battery acid separate in a set of tubes that allow it to be easily dispensed into the battery.

I picked up a couple of extras, and have them on the shelf. That way, whenever I need a battery, I will have one, and it's not sitting there letting time slowly kill it. If I don't need to use one of them for 10 years, I can fill it in 10 years and will have a new battery.

Does anyone know where you can get automotive sized batteries like this?

I have a LOT of vehicles and tractors, and keeping batteries on all of them has become a bit of a PITA. I live in a small town with one auto parts store (Napa) that isn't open on the weekends. I'd love to be able to put a couple of new batteries on the shelf to have when I need them, if I could store them dry where they aren't being killed by father time.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
5th or 6th for Odyssey. Run matching ones in my Scrambler and tent trailer.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Would also agree on Odyssey. Only caveat being difficult to get a warranty replacement in a lot of places (you're not going to find one in a small town LPS).

wjtstudios

1985 CJ 8
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rochester
State
Mi
Would also agree on Odyssey. Only caveat being difficult to get a warranty replacement in a lot of places (you're not going to find one in a small town LPS).

They sell them at Autozone. If you buy it through them, they have all the warranty information on file and it makes the process very easy.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Most small towns don't have an Autozone. None of the Autozone stores in my area STOCK Odyssey batteries of any size/group (just for the heck of it I called all 3 Autozones near me and asked). They will ORDER one though, and that can take a week or more to land in the store. This can be a huge problem when stranded in another state and trying to get back on the road again... I'd probably have to buy whatever battery was available to get me home.

wjtstudios

1985 CJ 8
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rochester
State
Mi
Most small towns don't have an Autozone. None of the Autozone stores in my area STOCK Odyssey batteries of any size/group (just for the heck of it I called all 3 Autozones near me and asked). They will ORDER one though, and that can take a week or more to land in the store. This can be a huge problem when stranded in another state and trying to get back on the road again... I'd probably have to buy whatever battery was available to get me home.

correct, they do need to order them. And in a pinch, you could buy a second random battery to get you home and then return it once the replacement odyssey comes in.

But, I have had to warranty one in the last couple years and they had a new one back to me in 24 hours. It was my accessory battery on a dual battery set up and the ARB fridge that runs off it is never turned off. So it had fully discharged that battery dozens of times before it wouldn’t hold a charge. Probably just a coincidence, the replacement has been in that same position and is holding on strong for two years now.

83CJ-8

Trying to catch up
Gold Member
Silver Member
City
Lewes
State
DE
I ordered mine from Autozone, I had to pay in full and it took a week.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I think a lot has to do with proximity to a battery warehouse.

I am near Houston, and almost any parts stores can get just about any battery in 24 hours or less.

Head to Amarillo or to Durango or to some other location not close to a major battery warehouse, and it can take significantly longer.

:twocents:

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
I have been using Deka batteres from about 2004 and the first one failed at 10 years. I had a pair of Group 27 AGM that went 10 years in my camper. I have had only one that went less than 6 years. I buy from a small local shop so they are more expensive than the parts store but I like the batteries. He does commercial service work for companies and that's all he uses.