• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Central Colorado Scramble???

scramblinokie

High Tech Redneck
City
Tulsa
State
Ok
Re: OKIE

mulescj8 said:
Sounds good to me,I'm not 100% sure if i'll leave out on Weds or Thurs from Tulsa,I'll be towing also,Phil we might even hook up with you some where around Salina depending on when your planning on leaving-Fellows looks like we have us a convoy!-LOL-JC:D

Sounds good to me too....Don't know if I can leave Wednesday
Maybe after work.... let me know....Are you camping? Where?

RobF

Basic User
City
Barnes
State
KS
Cool logo!! Got any stickers made up? I'd love to get one if it's possible:D

There's a chance I may be able to make it, but I really can't commit right now. As for driving it out, mechanically I have no doubt it'd make, but then I think I'd have to pass on alot of fun obstacles to make sure I could make it home:rolleyes: Also the thought of driving for several hours at 3500 to 4000 rpm's doesn't sound real appealing:eek: In 2 weeks I'm looking at a 3/4ton conversion van that's hopefully going to be my tow-rig, but the deal isn't quite final yet. If that happens, I'll be one step closer to Colorado! Tuttle Creek is the only wheelin' I've done for 7 years, I'm more than ready for a change in scenery!

dadscj8

SOA Charter Member
City
Tucson
State
AZ
Hey Rob, it would be great if you could make it. With the manpower and brainpower coming on this trip, i'm sure we'd get you home if you break something, (and hopefully me too), I hope you can make it, as we used to say, "it'll be a blast!"

mulescj8

INSANE SCRAMBLER HACK
Lifetime Member
City
Middle of No Where and Too Far From Any Where
State
Tn
OKIE

I won't be camping,staying with a some friends,I think some of the guys that are going are camping and there are several motels in Idaho Springs and Gerogetown,1BadCJ8 can give you more info-JC:D

tom keyes

1981 CJ-8
City
Louisville
State
co
I read where some of you were wondering about mountain weather. Put it this way. In July I have seem every type of weather there is above 10,000 feet. If you see a cloud in the sky before 10 am it is going to do something 99% of the time. Usually around 3:00 or 4:00pm. the storms come through the mountain valleys fast. We have a saying in Colorado that if you don't like the weather right now. Just wait 15 minutes. I would plan on dressing in layers. I use a good fleece jacket and a rain coat that will fit over it to cut any wind or rain that might come along. Bring some gloves and water proof pants. There still can be snow drifts up there and from experience you can get pretty cold if you have to dig your rig out of one and are not dress properly. Even if it is 70 degrees out in the sun.

For you Scrambler owners coming from the low levels make sure you have lots of canteens or drinking water along. They say you should drink a cup every 15 minutes or you run the risk of altitude sickness. If anyone gets a head ach that wont go away you need to tell others. You could be feeling the first signs of trouble. Lets make sure everyone has fun. Some of you might be coming from almost sea level to jump in your Scramblers and take them over 11,000 feet in a rather short period of time. We have a few "out of state" hunters every year that end up in the hospital due to this and I would hate to see any of you in that shape.

Looks to be a great time. I will take off Friday for the Jenny Creek trail. Is the Kingston peak trip still going to happen?? I need to stop by and pay my respects to my dad who is sprinkled up there the week before if we are not going to do that trail.

PS I will pull out my roll of maps for places to camp in your tents and post them with directions from Idaho Springs. I know there are some places around we should be able to figure it all out...

By the way we got over a foot and a half of snow on Saturday May 10th in Boulder. It is all but gone this Monday morning down low, but the mountains are deep in it still.

1BADCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Silver City
State
NM
Clothing.......

Tom gives good advise here. You can always take something off. Normally all summer long starting in June I wheel in shorts and a T-Shirt but this year is being very different in the mountains.

If you do choose to wear shorts I'd bring along jeans or something you can through on. Here in Idaho Springs it will be very nice, most likely even hot, but higher up.......well I think every one gets the point.

dadscj8

SOA Charter Member
City
Tucson
State
AZ
Thanks again for the advice, we will try and heed it. The altitude sickness thing is something i had not thought of yet. I hope i don't get that, that would be a drag!
I used to do traffic reports in an airplane and i was told by pilots to make sure my stomach had something in it to help with air sickness. It worked for me. I'm assumming that would apply here too?

Last edited:

1BADCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Silver City
State
NM
Phil,

Around where we are going you wont notice much difference from where you are. Kansas is flat but but not at sea level......lol.

In going to Silverton I've only seen one person get altitude sickness and it starts 2500ft higher than us. That one person that got it just happend to be some guy's girl frind from Tennessee with a big blue camo-mule type thing..............he he he.

mulescj8

INSANE SCRAMBLER HACK
Lifetime Member
City
Middle of No Where and Too Far From Any Where
State
Tn
altitude sickness

MAN WAS SHE SICK,NOT TO METION IRRITABLE,IT WAS JUST TO BAD SHE DIDN'T GET TO SEE HER VACTION UNTILL WE GOT HOME AND I DEVOLOPED THE PICTURES, Here a few way to help battle altitude sickness:

1-keep some food on your stomache,snack bars...etc
2-drink lots of water,you can dehydrate very quickly in high altitudes even when it's cool due to the very low humidity
3-exercise,walk several months before going to help increase your endurance
4-dramimene may also help

this is still no gaurantee that you still won't get sick but is a good start to help combat it-JC:D

Wyoming

DC
City
Cheyenne
State
wy
I will be coming in on Thursday night so I don't have to get up at dark 30 on Friday. Which motels do you recomend? 6&40, H & M Motor lodge, or Heritage Inn Or ??
Also where are you meeting on Friday Morning to kick this off?

S

Scrmbld4X4

Wyoming, Where in Cheyenne? Stop by some time - 1516 Reiner Pl. (over by Johnson Jr. High)

Still haven't committed to this outing, but still considerring it. Would be a good way to try out the new toy... :D 03 Dodge 3500 QC DRW, HO Cummins w/6 speed.

1BADCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Silver City
State
NM
Wyo,

You could stay at any of those. The one that wanted to help us out is listed on my page here http://www.82cj8.com/Scramble Dates.html

Glad to hear your gonna make it.

Scrmbld4X4,

Dont think that rig will fit on the trails but your Scrambler would.

Last edited:
S

Scrmbld4X4

Re: Wyo,

1BADCJ8 said:
Scrmbld4X4,

Dont think that rig will fit on the trails but your Scrambler would.

:laugh: Ha ha. No that toy is strickly a pavement pounder, with the Heep behind it, and the camper in it. :D

1BADCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Silver City
State
NM
Welp,

I didnt think so.......lol. That Scrambler inyour avatar looks great, bring it one down and stop B-S'n about it.......lol.

Wyo,

We meet in the back parking lot of Clear Creek Supply (right next to the post office) at 8:45 am.

All detals here: http://www.82cj8.com/Scramble Dates.html

tom keyes

1981 CJ-8
City
Louisville
State
co
Hey Dan did you get some more snow last night??? I was thinking about you and the trails as I watched the rain just come down..

RobF

Basic User
City
Barnes
State
KS
I got a couple questions, how big is Idaho Springs, and could your average woman(no offense to any female members!)kill a day shopping for soveniers etc.? If I can make it, my wife is thinking about coming with, she's from Korea and has never seen real mountains and would like to see the Rockies. She's also a very inexperienced driver and doesn't want to drive in a large city, smaller towns are ok, but alot of traffic is a no-go. She's not much into wheelin' either, but would be up for 1 day of it just to experience the mountains first hand and she'd like to do some shopping etc. for a day also. Thanks for any input!

1BADCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Silver City
State
NM
Small town USA,

Population in Idaho Springs is 2000 and most of them are tourist....lol. Shopping? Well I'm not sure you could fill an entire day but there are plenty of shops. As well if she is ok driving on the hi-way for about 15 min there is Georgetown not far that has a few cool shops as well.

No mountains in Korea? I might have to pull out my photo album from my time spent up north in the Chor Wan Valley. I have one really really cool picture from the Radar Site where the fog sat in low all around us and all you could see were the mountain tops. Great picture. But your right, they were not the Rockies. However they were, at least for me, a small symbol of home.

Its good news you should make it out.

1BADCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Silver City
State
NM
Just thought of this.......

If there are others that are bringing wives or girl friends and they might like to shop for a day or what ever, can get together and go together.

I'll mention it at the beginning of the drivers meeting before we hit the trail and give destructions on how to get around a little bit.

RobF

Basic User
City
Barnes
State
KS
I shouldn't say there isn't mountains in Korea, just nothing that compares to the Rockies:D In the 3 years we were there, we traveled alot, from Pusan to as far north as you can go without getting into trouble:eek: Mt. Nam Han San Sung, just north of Seoul is absolutely beautiful.

Thanks for the quick reply, it's sounds like my wife will have no problems getting around, 2000 isn't much bigger than what she's used to. I can't commit quite yet, but I'm working on it! That weekend is also her and my youngest sons'(12)birthday, so I'm trying to talk them into a short b-day vacation:D

S

Scrmbld4X4

Dan, what trails are you planning to run and on what days? I may only be able to get down there for a limited amount of time (like one day) and want to maximize my time.

Thanks, Bob