• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Contemplating...

neilconnolly79

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Mankato
State
MN
I've come to a point where I think it's time to part ways with my Scrambler. I'm too broken to fix it any more, can't hardly get in it, and hasn't been driven on the road in a couple years now. I hate to say I'm actually considering this since I spent so many years waiting to find one, but it's just gonna sit and waste away if I keep it. What are all Y'all's thoughts and experiences on the topic? If I do sell her it will go with all spare parts I have. Where would y'all suggest to start for price?

1982 304/T18/D300 Twin Stick/ D30 w/ locker, Currie 9" w/ FF and lockouts(rigged to not unlock), stock springs SOA, 1.25 JKS body lift.

Spare parts that I can list without going to the garage
White Half Cab
Bulkhead(fair)
2 SR4s
Bellhousing (2?)
D300
couple driveshafts F&R
NT &WT front axle shafts
Hood
Heater box
Rocker trim
Full hard door(Complete but taken apart)
Full PS system x2
bunch of other stuff I don't remember right now.
IMAG0709.jpgIMAG0710.jpgIMAG0711.jpgIMAG0712.jpgIMAG0713.jpgIMAG0714.jpgIMAG0715.jpg

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Not being able to work on it anymore is a pretty big hurdle... my first thought was to lower it, and use smaller tires, but that's a pretty big undertaking with your current setup!

It would be nice if you could find someone with a stock-ish Scrambler who wanted to trade for a more trail oriented machine like yours.

Good luck with your decision, and whatever you decide, I hope you'll stick around here! :cheers:

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLED 8
Lifetime Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
I'm not looking to acquire another one at this point, but I'm about an hour away if I can be of any assistance.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I think it's interesting that several of us who built tall rigs are contemplating selling them for more stockish ones. I'm one of those guys. Even if you sell this one, I'll bet there's another one in your future...

Bugman

The Rubicon, my backyard
City
Pollock Pines
State
CA
I'm with Pilot. There are Scramblers out there that aren't built up as much as yours that you could trade for or come to some sort of deal with. It has the potential to be the best for the parties involved. If there is a deal to be made it will be on this site as we cover the full spectrum of Scrambler owners and those that want to become one. You could be driving one that accommodates your needs and filling the needs of someone who wants one a bit more built up. So far, I'm still able to climb up into mine but I know there will be the day I need something closer to the ground.

neilconnolly79

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Mankato
State
MN
Not being able to work on it anymore is a pretty big hurdle... my first thought was to lower it, and use smaller tires, but that's a pretty big undertaking with your current setup!

It would be nice if you could find someone with a stock-ish Scrambler who wanted to trade for a more trail oriented machine like yours.

Good luck with your decision, and whatever you decide, I hope you'll stick around here! :cheers:

Yeah I've been one the lowering it back down train for quite a while now, but I think I've decided that with my back issues and various other things that came from 22 years in the Army it's just not all that feasible. I also didn't think about trying to find someone to trade for a shorter one, thanks for the Idear. And I'm not going anywhere I'll still have Scrambler related things, even if I end up selling out right.

neilconnolly79

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Mankato
State
MN
I think it's interesting that several of us who built tall rigs are contemplating selling them for more stockish ones. I'm one of those guys. Even if you sell this one, I'll bet there's another one in your future...

Yep, old age and broken bodies tend to do that... I've had my fun beating the crap out of my trucks and Jeeps in the woods and rocks over the last 15-20 years and it's time to move on to something a little less destructive, both on the vehicles and me.

Flatie46

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
Russllville
State
TN
Really cool Scrambler you have there. I hate to see your faced with this decision, I wish you luck with whatever you decide. Maybe with the sale of the extra parts you have it could finance returning it to closer to stock that way it wouldn't be so hard to get in and out.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Maybe try putting a side step on it. If it needs to be lower than you like for off roading, then make it drop down for entry and swing back up for driving. Might even put a grab handle in a strategic place if that would help. If that gets you driving again, then someone else can do the maintenance when needed. You and your Scrambler have been through some rough terrain together . . . be a shame to let her go now.

neilconnolly79

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Mankato
State
MN
Well, It's final! I can't do it, can't bring myself to let her go. So the plan is to slowly deconstruct her back to nearly stock, with a bit of help from a few of the guys here in my local club.

Scramblers were the very first Jeep I was ever exposed to and have wanted one as long as I can remember. I've spent the better part of a decade making this one mine, I know every bolt, scratch, dent, and weird *** quirk it has, and I'm gonna keep it that way. I tod myself when I finally bought a Scrambler there would be no selling it unless it was to keep a roof over my kids heads...
16898.jpg

Step one is already done sold the winch and tires this morning.

Last edited:

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Always hate to hear but sometimes selling is for the best. I actually acquired my Scrambler in a similar trade deal. Guy wanted something he could offroad without worry and the Scrambler was too nice. I had a built TJ on 37's and had always wanted a Scrambler. Ended up just trading outright. Worked out perfectly for both of us! Hope you can come out better off no matter what happens!

wjtstudios

1985 CJ 8
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rochester
State
Mi
I'm glad you made the decision to keep her! Bring her back down and make it easy. These things become part of who we are. Like you said, short of keep a roof over my kids heads, there is nothing that could bring me to sell mine.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Right on! So happy to hear this!

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Smart man. What you get for her, then buy another (unknown issues), you're money ahead. Never want to give up a jeep you worked so hard for. Glad to hear it.:headbang:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I am just seeing this and was going to suggest that you try to work with a local club or shop to help you get it back to where you can enjoy it. So glad to see you keeping it and turning it into something that works for you!

Thank you for your service :usflag: and I'm excited to watch this very important "de-build" :popcorn: