• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Daily driver if money was no object.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I got a free upgrade into a base model V-6 Challenger when I was in LA for work and drove the ever-loving snot out of that thing. It was a blast as it was, I can't even imagine (and probably never want to experience until I can buy) any of the V-8s.

The manumatic shifter was surprisingly good and I had no qualms redlining it all over the place. I ended up driving aimlessly around the mostly deserted highways until well after 2AM one night and made a road trip to a ski resort up in the mountains east of LA after my meetings another night. Also drove it down the coast to see friends in San Diego, but there was too much traffic then to have much fun.

craveman85

CJ-8 Member
City
Dolgeville
State
ny
Maybe also a 78 mustang king cobra with a 427 stroker or a miata with a 4 rotor from the 787b,

Cpittman428

Basic User
City
Fort Collins
State
CO
It's about a 3-way even tie between this Scrambler that was listed for sale on here a while back...
6488d53d2def31123fea2828e805e836png-1.jpg
eed90fb38ca7fe7a151d693cb22861cbpng-1.jpg
ba33e994cbaec700eba512c089314018png-1.jpg

The Crew Chief Concept....
82329275b229144a828612f2ba0bc0f7-1.jpg

And a Wagoneer built about like one of the following....
f9576e736df1fcebe2c69203a2f5b808-1.jpg
a550de48e20c29c34c056b14cbdd8995-1.jpg
a39a430a32cdf3672a5e3b6050efd80b-1.jpg

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Nailed It! Last year of production. I'd prefer another White with Sand interior, or Green/Sand. I guarantee once I get my paws on it it won't be carb'd for long...:evil:

We're kinda dealing with that dream right now. Don't want to modify it in ways that can't be reversed but want to enjoy it. Getting the TBI on will probably help a lot. Hopefully it comes out well. Wife isn't ecstatic about the silver/maroon but it is what it came as. Will be really hard choosing between a same color repaint vs a color she actually likes.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Maybe also a 78 mustang king cobra with a 427 stroker or a miata with a 4 rotor from the 787b,

One of my first cars was a 1978 Mustang King Cobra, 302 with T Tops. I immediately removed all the stripes, and once the warranty was up I messed with the engine and the suspension. Used to race on Mulholland Drive and religiously cruise Van Nuys Boulevard on Wednesday nights. Crashed it twice, rebuilt it both times. Used to go through a set of rear tires every month. I think we were the inspiration for the Fast and Furious. I was all of 18 at the time... Here's a pic I found online...yep, pretty much sums it up.

5ad3c2cd1cab05d99be102884df562ff.jpg

We had a wild time. Life at that point was cars, girls, and beer. For those of you who saw "Rock of Ages", that was another big part of my juvenile delinquency. Spent many a night at the Whiskey a Go-Go and at Gazzarris. Probably shouldn't admit I've been passing for 21 since I was 16...

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
Damn it Randy! Sounds like you had a wild past that I'd have like to hang out with. Rock on brother, rock on.

One of my first cars was a 1978 Mustang King Cobra, 302 with T Tops. I immediately removed all the stripes, and once the warranty was up I messed with the engine and the suspension. Used to race on Mulholland Drive and religiously cruise Van Nuys Boulevard on Wednesday nights. Crashed it twice, rebuilt it both times. Used to go through a set of rear tires every month. I think we were the inspiration for the Fast and Furious. I was all of 18 at the time... Here's a pic I found online...yep, pretty much sums it up.

View attachment 56633

We had a wild time. Life at that point was cars, girls, and beer. For those of you who saw "Rock of Ages", that was another big part of my juvenile delinquency. Spent many a night at the Whiskey a Go-Go and at Gazzarris. Probably shouldn't admit I've been passing for 21 since I was 16...

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA

Dang Randy, you were runnin' with the big dogs!

At that age, I was driving a dual-port VW Bug with a single Weber 44IDF (cross-fire manifold), 4-into-1 stinger exhaust, heavy-duty sway bars, and used Pirelli low-profile tires... I thought I was king sh*t of Shasta College!

I put that poor car through hell, and it never let me down... even when I over-advanced the timing and burned holes in two pistons running at 85mph on I5 at 2:00AM, I was able to limp it to a rest area on the other two cylinders (then I had to call my dad to come get me). :eek:

In those days, I got very good at replacing fenders, bumpers, and engines (I could R&R the engine in less than an hour).

In retrospect, I'm SO impressed with the durability of the simple VW Bug...!

I guess it's good thing I wasn't driving that Mach-1 I always wanted.... ;)

Domin8

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
Astoria
State
NY
Some excellent suggestions in here. In my case, the hope is that the Scrambler I'm about to start working on will be my ultimate daily driver.

YJ-8

Basic User
City
Austin
State
TX
@ CJ7 Pilot

My first car was a 70 Mach 1, Parked it in a barn after high school-- we recently started a "frame up" on it. Numbers matching 351W, H Code, Dark Ivy Green Metallic. Currently replacing metal and getting ready for soda blasting.

2le00n4-1.jpg

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
@ CJ7 Pilot

My first car was a 70 Mach 1, Parked it in a barn after high school-- we recently started a "frame up" on it. Numbers matching 351W, H Code, Dark Ivy Green Metallic. Currently replacing metal and getting ready for soda blasting.

2le00n4-1.jpg

Louvers??? :)

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
@ CJ7 Pilot

Excellent, I'm glad you kept it! I'll look forward to seeing more photos, as you progress! :thumbsup:

YJ-8

Basic User
City
Austin
State
TX
No "factory" louvers or spoilers (they were not common when new). Undecided if we will add them.
Current plan is stock looking but mild upgrades (5 speed manual, 15" Magnum wheels-- or 17" minilites, 4 wheel disc brakes, and a 500hp 408CID Windsor)

I am sure it will change as the build progresses,
YJ-8

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Has this turned into a dream car(s) thread and not a single daily Daily driver thread ??:rotfl:

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I'll play tho. A 1967 GTO burgundy with white gut and white vinyl top with 400 4spd fills my muscle car Sunday daily driver ![emoji6]

cw05

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Augusta
State
GA
Has this turned into a dream car(s) thread and not a single daily Daily driver thread ??:rotfl:

Maybe, but if I'm ever lucky enough to get one of those Cobra's I will drive it every day, weather permitting. The fact that car has only 845 miles on it after 13 years is sinfull! My CJ has over 225K miles on it. Cars were meant to be driven regardless of their practicality.