walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Obviously you can't accommodate everyone perfectly. I suspect BW that you are in the 95+ percentile.
They've probably lost the NBA category with that design flaw. I'm 6'7" so unless the cloth seats can accommodate, all the more reason for me to pass.

redking11

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
Why buy the gladiator when it will never be adequate as a truck? Especially at the price tag! I'll have the CJ8 to off road in and as a toy and I'll keep a real truck for work. Heck I even keep a car for travel and commuting.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I also noticed how high you sit in these. I'm 6-6'1. I didn't try adjusting the seat down. When these cockpits are layed out they should be designed to accommodate the vast majority of the population size. They have 3D manikins in various percentages of the population. It's a delicate balance to fit as wide a group of people as possible. Obviously you can't accommodate everyone perfectly. I suspect BW that you are in the 95+ percentile.

They should have more adjustment in the seat and mirrors. Hopefully if enough people 'complain' Jeep will do something to fix.
That’s all true but this is the first Jeep I’ve not been able to get in since the older/smaller CJs. DD an LJ with no issues and had a JKU for years that I always drove fine.

So my point is that Jeep has reduced the group for which they are designing. That’s the screwup IMO

revho

$9.00 vanilla malt
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
beaverdam
State
MI
That’s all true but this is the first Jeep I’ve not been able to get in since the older/smaller CJs. DD an LJ with no issues and had a JKU for years that I always drove fine.

So my point is that Jeep has reduced the group for which they are designing. That’s the screwup IMO
Would you be a potential buyer if you did fit?

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI

I hear ya. It would be interesting to do some investigating into why the JL seats/cockpit are so different from the JK.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
I think BW is on to something saying the cloth seats feel more cushioned and the leather not as much. Many leather seats seem to come with seat warmers where cloth usually don't. I usually find seat warmer equipped cars to be uncomfortable due to the lack of cushion. Leather will stretch some with use so they'll probably soften some over time.

Bobs85Reny

Legacy Registered User
City
Wayne
State
NJ
I had 2 jeep Liberty's one with leather interior and one with cloth. The one with the leather interior sat much higher due to a number of things. The seats themselves were completely different and the leather seats had more padding plus the heater. The other major difference was that the leather interior were power seats so with all the electronics in the rails it took up more space and were adjustable in height as well as position. even with the power seats at the lowest height setting it still sat at least an inch higher then my cloth interior did.

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Or, they just created the potential for someone to tap into a huge aftermarket accessory item. :rolleyes:
Looking at the seat mount, I don’t think there’s much lowering you can do due to how the floor is near the trans tunnel. Would have to be mostly the seat itself.

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Would you be a potential buyer if you did fit?
Not until they’re used and way cheap, currently (JL and JT) but it’s going to be interesting at the EJS media day when I have to drive the concepts and any other media-related opportunity.

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I had 2 jeep Liberty's one with leather interior and one with cloth. The one with the leather interior sat much higher due to a number of things. The seats themselves were completely different and the leather seats had more padding plus the heater. The other major difference was that the leather interior were power seats so with all the electronics in the rails it took up more space and were adjustable in height as well as position. even with the power seats at the lowest height setting it still sat at least an inch higher then my cloth interior did.
Nothing power about the JL/JT but I think the rest all holds.

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
Speaking of headroom in the driver seat, when I had my TJ I had tons of headroom. And I remember thinking, from a designer point of view, that Jeep should consider lowering the roof on these a little to improve aero. I wonder what happened with the JL.

Bobs85Reny

Legacy Registered User
City
Wayne
State
NJ
Speaking of headroom in the driver seat, when I had my TJ I had tons of headroom. And I remember thinking, from a designer point of view, that Jeep should consider lowering the roof on these a little to improve aero. I wonder what happened with the JL.
I am 5' 11" and on my lj I had to add 1" spacers under my seat rails because I sat so low