• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Gladiator

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
...I trust Jeep's research on this more than my own opinion.

Keep in mind (and it applies to them not offering a 2-door as well) that Jeep’s research was exactly backward on the JK/JKU popularity split when they were introduced.

Jeep forecast/built 85% JKs and 15% JKUs at the intro in 2007 and only to find out it was *exactly* the opposite when they hit the showroom floor. Caused them all kinds of problems to get it switched around.

If they talked to anyone with half a brain, they would have realized that they were finally bringing to market (6 years too late) a proper XJ replacement and should have AT LEAST expected 50/50. Add in all the soccer moms looking for anything different than a boring SUV/minivan and the additional wheeling ability from the extended wheelbase (the LJ popularity should have indicated this) I have NO IDEA how they screwed that so badly.

I think not offering a 2-door and/or extended cab at all (which by definition gets them into a lower price point as well) is a similar beancounter screwup and they’ve said that they have no plans for it. :shrug:

Scott_P

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
Benzonia
State
MI
If they talked to anyone with half a brain, they would have realized that they were finally bringing to market (6 years too late) a proper XJ replacement ...... I have NO IDEA how they screwed that so badly.

I totally agree with this statement...only problem is the price point...the XJ was relatively affordable, the JKU not as much so.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I totally agree with this statement...only problem is the price point...the XJ was relatively affordable, the JKU not as much so.

Yes, but that's basically true of where the JK went relative to the TJ as well, so if they wanted to alter forecasts based on sticker prices it should have been a hit on both the JK and JKU. That would have altered overall numbers on both, not changed the proportion.

As a counterpoint, they've always been able to sell Grands at much higher prices -- what is that but an expensive XJ (and by 2007 it had lost its straight front axle)? They should have anticipated some of that crowd coming *down* to the JKU to offset the old XJ buyers who didn't want to pay for a JKU.

Scott_P

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
Benzonia
State
MI
I agree, and obviously the price point on a JK/JKU hasn't caused poor sales...

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I expected to see posted pocs of the yellow Hercules prototype Gladiator that is on the web today.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Not yellow but...
Jeep-Gladiator-Hercules-Jeepgladiatorforum-blue.jpg

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
I'm a little late to this discussion, but... depending on price, I am wanting to buy one. Had a JL rental for a week while on vacation a couple weeks ago and I absolutely fell in love with it. The JL isnt practical for me, but the JT makes perfect sense... Once the Diesel Gladiator comes out, I plan on seeing what I can get for my Ram and ordering one.

Reactions: SKT

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLED 8
Lifetime Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
I'm a little late to this discussion, but... depending on price, I am wanting to buy one. Had a JL rental for a week while on vacation a couple weeks ago and I absolutely fell in love with it. The JL isnt practical for me, but the JT makes perfect sense... Once the Diesel Gladiator comes out, I plan on seeing what I can get for my Ram and ordering one.
I'm contemplating the same thing. If the power wagon had the cummins available, I would probably have one by now.

Scott_P

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
Benzonia
State
MI
Saw a manufacturers fleet vehicle over the weekend up here in the NW LP of MI. Unfortunately, the "owner" was not around to beg for info or a chance to ride/drive. (I'm sure I passed him on the hiking trail though...) It had been disguised at one point based on all the sticky velcro glue residue in places, but I will say they look better in person than in pictures. I may consider one for our land surveying business once a few hit the used car market down the road and after the early production "de-bugging" is complete. I am not one to buy new anyway....just cannot swallow the drive off the lot loss in value!IMG_2735[1].JPGIMG_2736[1].JPG

Reactions: SKT