• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Gladiator

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
I think the new truck is pretty nice all around, but there are a couple of things that just seem goofy to me. First is the turn signals embedded in the flares. The more I look at them the more I hate them. I don't know why they bother me so much, but it just seems like they don't belong there. The second thing is the bottom lines on the rear doors. I am sure they are the exact same door as the other jeeps, but the look of having so much bare space available at the bottom of the body and then having a strangely angled door for no reason just makes things look cobbled together in my book.

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
The division between the cab and the pick-up is a firm one, right - not like our beds? Imagine if you could pull the second row of seats and have a larger bed...

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I saw these in person for the first time last week at the Detroit Auto Show press day. Yes, completely closed cab with separate bed.

If the rear door was more squared off, all it would do is open into the side of the rear seat, there's no functional use for any additional door space FWIW. There's actually an indentation in the rear lower corner of the tub for the flare from the bed. There's also a lot of space behind the inner flare on the bed. I can imagine the aftermarket inner fender kits already.

The top-off/windshield down/doors off/tube doors looks even better in person than I thought. I liked it better than I expected in the release photos and it's even better in person.

With any of the upgraded leather seats, I can't drive one. The top of my head is literally higher than the top of the rollbar (this should carry over to the JL too, sadly). I was pushing up on the MOPAR sun shade they had on the grey one in the MOPAR area. I've only been in a couple JLs and the cloth seats in them must have less padding in the seat bottom because it wasn't that bad.

I actually grabbed Mark Allen, head of Jeep design, to show him. I asked "So, what did the tall people of the world do to piss y'all off???" His comment was a sheepish "I've heard something like that." Between the MUCH too low fixed rear view mirror with the huge box behind it that blocks a TON of my view to the right and the rollbar, I'm really just not comfortable with how I fit. For my head not to hit the underside of the Freedom panels, it's HARD into the rollbar. It's an incredibly uncomfortable feeling. I'm 6'6" and fairly proportional (not a particularly long torso or long legs, just tall in all proportions.)

I did a video on the JPFreek Adventure Magazine FB page and yes, as I show a couple times in the video, I lowered the seat all the way:

Think this will work for anyone with or without a FB account:

49678617_10156880523992808_4750422996915585024_n.jpg

49896975_10156880523972808_4939204174127562752_n.jpg

49425961_10156880523827808_4522489499128692736_n.jpg

50099112_10156880521517808_2912253917091856384_n.jpg

Note that the drawer unit is a modified version from another pickup, not a MOPAR accessory. It did fit nicely, but it was clear that they cut the deck to fit. Also note on getting a feel for the bed length, the bikes couldn't be where they are with any top installed on the Jeep. The front tires are past where the back wall would sit. This one had a 2" lift and 35x12.50s and the matching spare was under the bed.
50287031_10156880523812808_1796795380688486400_n.jpg

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
I saw these in person for the first time last week at the Detroit Auto Show press day. Yes, completely closed cab with separate bed.

If the rear door was more squared off, all it would do is open into the side of the rear seat, there's no functional use for any additional door space FWIW.

I understand that there is no other functionality as currently designed. I think they could have done something else for the aesthetics as well as added storage or other functionality. It simply looks goofy to me.

Moabite

CJ-8 Member
City
Moab
State
UT
With any of the upgraded leather seats, I can't drive one. The top of my head is literally higher than the top of the rollbar (this should carry over to the JL too, sadly). I was pushing up on the MOPAR sun shade they had on the grey one in the MOPAR area.

I prefer a higher driving position, so I think the seat height will be one aspect of the Gladiator that I like. I'm 5'10 and have always thought the height of the Scrambler's seat was perfect. I actually added risers under the driver's seat frame on my '03 Rubicon and always drove with the seat in the highest position on the '13 Rubicon. I still plan to buy a Gladiator and am looking forward to sitting high in one at EJS if not before.

Reactions: SKT

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I understand that there is no other functionality as currently designed. I think they could have done something else for the aesthetics as well as added storage or other functionality. It simply looks goofy to me.
FWIW They did add a rather cool removable 60/40 storage area under the seat, no more door space is needed for accessing it though.

I also would wager that a more squared off lower corner on the door would look odd with the way the rear flare comes so far forward :shrug: (not that I really love the way the flare/can work.)

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I prefer a higher driving position, so I think the seat height will be one aspect of the Gladiator that I like. I'm 5'10 and have always thought the height of the Scrambler's seat was perfect. I actually added risers under the driver's seat frame on my '03 Rubicon and always drove with the seat in the highest position on the '13 Rubicon. I still plan to buy a Gladiator and am looking forward to sitting high in one at EJS if not before.

Yeah but the problem is that I think someone a couple inches shorter than me would likely still have problems. At that point they’re cutting into a pretty mainstream potion of the male population.

Importantly, note that I’m only talking about with the seat all the way lowered. There’s ALL KINDS of upward adjustment. This is a massive $&@?up in my mind. :shrug:

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
How did they attach the rear flares? It looks like they span the gap between the bed/box and the cab. Does the flare need to flex as the box and cab move independently, or do they leave it disconnected at the front end of the flare?

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
I think they should have added the foot step like in the concept

I'll bet that will be available soon as an aftermarket accessory!

Actually, that wouldn't be a bad accessory for a Scrambler... in that unusable space in front of the wheel well, where the roll bar kicks inward! :shrug:

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
With any of the upgraded leather seats, I can't drive one. The top of my head is literally higher than the top of the rollbar (this should carry over to the JL too, sadly). I was pushing up on the MOPAR sun shade they had on the grey one in the MOPAR area. I've only been in a couple JLs and the cloth seats in them must have less padding in the seat bottom because it wasn't that bad.

I actually grabbed Mark Allen, head of Jeep design, to show him. I asked "So, what did the tall people of the world do to piss y'all off???" His comment was a sheepish "I've heard something like that." Between the MUCH too low fixed rear view mirror with the huge box behind it that blocks a TON of my view to the right and the rollbar, I'm really just not comfortable with how I fit. For my head not to hit the underside of the Freedom panels, it's HARD into the rollbar. It's an incredibly uncomfortable feeling. I'm 6'6" and fairly proportional (not a particularly long torso or long legs, just tall in all proportions.)
I also noticed how high you sit in these. I'm 6-6'1. I didn't try adjusting the seat down. When these cockpits are layed out they should be designed to accommodate the vast majority of the population size. They have 3D manikins in various percentages of the population. It's a delicate balance to fit as wide a group of people as possible. Obviously you can't accommodate everyone perfectly. I suspect BW that you are in the 95+ percentile.

They should have more adjustment in the seat and mirrors. Hopefully if enough people 'complain' Jeep will do something to fix.

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
I think they should have added the foot step like in the concept

That would do the trick. Something filling up that space would justify the slope on the rear of the door.

revho

$9.00 vanilla malt
Lifetime Member
City
beaverdam
State
MI
Might high center on the top of test hill.....might....