• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Gladiator

Summerlovin

City
Allentown
State
Nj
Gladiators will fail against a pine tree, especially if a certain son falls asleep behind the wheel. Only got a broken nose. We’re down to one Jeep now. I think my scram put a curse on any other Jeep in our driveway.

Attachments

• D88937E7-A021-45C1-91D3-28C1C8D59217.jpeg
    D88937E7-A021-45C1-91D3-28C1C8D59217.jpeg
    205.7 KB · Views: 35
  • D5FFCF82-8C98-414E-98AC-FCD3503361AC.jpeg
    D5FFCF82-8C98-414E-98AC-FCD3503361AC.jpeg
    203.6 KB · Views: 35

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Looks like the front end absorbed the shock quite well. Air bag give him that broken nose?

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Thankfully he survived. My brother wasn’t so fortunate. He also fell asleep.

You are told all through life to not let someone drive if they are drunk. I never remember anyone telling me to look out for tired people wanting to drive.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Actually for a number of years now the tired thing in public service announcements has been a thing.

Ron84cj

Engine nerd
Lifetime Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
Thankfully he survived. My brother wasn’t so fortunate. He also fell asleep.

You are told all through life to not let someone drive if they are drunk. I never remember anyone telling me to look out for tired people wanting to drive.
Very sorry to hear about your brother.

My coworker recently fell asleep behind the wheel while driving on the freeway. He drifted pretty far off the road and came dangerously close to hitting a tree. Thankfully he was fine. But you're right, people always talk about drunk driving but never driving when tired which can be equally as dangerous.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Actually for a number of years now the tired thing in public service announcements has been a thing.
Glad you have seen that so others should have as well. I personally have never seen an add like that but then again I watch little TV. If it helps saves lives then that's all you can ask for.

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
I finally brought my Dad back in to the fold with this '22 Gladiator Overland!

His last Jeep was a WWII Ford MB that he had when I was a toddler. 8-)

Overland - 1.jpeg

Last edited:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I finally used my 2022 Gladiator to tow something. My Gladiator has all the tow options, so it can tow up to 7,000 pounds. IIRC, this is the maximum you can tow with a Rubicon model (the "MAX Tow" package is not available with the Rubicon package). My Gladiator has the 8 speed automatic transmission.

I used a tow bar and flat towed a CJ-7 from New Orleans back to Biloxi, MS. I would "guestimate" that the Jeep/tools/parts in the bed was probably a hair over 4,000 pounds.

Looking through the back up camera while driving down I10:

20220905_174704.jpg

A few comments:

It pulled it fine, but you can feel the weight when starting from a stop. Not terribly sluggish, but not a V8.
I drove 63-65 MPH, 2,300 RPM, was getting 15-16 MPG
Relatively flat, the only hills are the many river bridges/overpasses
It would have went faster, but seemed happy at 63-65
Stayed in 7th gear for most of the time (7 and 8 are both over drive gears)
Brakes, steering, suspension seemed good
The "oil life remaining" was at 25% when I left home, at 24% when I returned, so no drastic change

I like this display screen:

20220905_175148.jpg

Speedometer cluster, showing MPG:

20220905_175544.jpg

I averaged 19MPG going over, unloaded, around 16 MPG coming back loaded. I had cruise set at 73 for the drive over.

All in all, it did well on this short/flat trip.

I still want to hook a trailer to the back of it, load up a 7 or 8, and see how it does.

Last edited:

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I finally used my 2022 Gladiator to tow something. My Gladiator has all the tow options, so it can tow up to 7,000 pounds. IIRC, this is the maximum you can tow with a Rubicon model (the "MAX Tow" package is not available with the Rubicon package). My Gladiator has the 8 speed automatic transmission.

I used a tow bar and flat towed a CJ-7 from New Orleans back to Biloxi, MS. I would "guestimate" that the Jeep/tools/parts in the bed was probably a hair over 4,000 pounds.

View attachment 105127

A few comments:

It pulled it fine, but you can feel the weight when starting from a stop. Not terribly sluggish, but not a V8.
The "oil life remaining" was at 25% when I left home, at 24% when I returned, so no drastic change

View attachment 105128

View attachment 105129

I averaged 19MPG going over, unloaded, around 16 MPG coming back loaded. I had cruise set at 73 for the drive over.

I still want to hook a trailer to the back of it, load up a 7 or 8, and see how it does.

That is a nice screen with good info while towing.

And I am interested in how you feel pulling a trailer with a Jeep on it. That was my plan, but ended up getting a Ram 1500 as I did not want to max it out and the PA mountains would make it worse.

neilconnolly79

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Mankato
State
MN

View attachment 105127

A few comments:

View attachment 105128

View attachment 105129

Mine hauled my '53 M38a1 and literally everything needed for 7 of us to tent camp for a week averaged just under 12mpg for the entire week, which included 4 days of tooling around the offroad park teaching the wife and eldest to wheel a bit. '21 Rubi on 37s stock 4.10s for now. Also the Rubi already has everything included in the Sport "Mack Toe" package, but we lose the ~500 lbs due to the extra curb weight of the Rubi(lockers, skid plates, rock rails, ect). I will be making a 1400 mile trip either this weekend or next to pick up my hopefully new camper, can't wait to see how mine does with that, empty it'll be about half the weight of our tent camping excursion, so should do just fine.

Attachments

• 293062690_10160209262171948_3701636526668137184_n.jpg
    293062690_10160209262171948_3701636526668137184_n.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 19

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
I towed a lot with mine - mostly 7s and 8s on my Featherlite aluminum trailer. I also had the infamous factory trailer brake controller (can't believe I was able to get my hands on one). I totally agree it will do the job but at the time the amount of days a week I would have a trailer behind it I wasn't happy. I was on 37s with 4:56s most of that time and the V6 just wasn't enough for me.

Now that I am changing direction with what I devote most of my time towards I am seriously considering selling my Rebel and going back to a Gladiator. For the handful of times I would be trailering something I would appreciate going back to a Gladiator and could park in my garage again.

Call me spoiled but I LOATHE parking a vehicle outside! Also for me it's the perfect compliment to my Scramblers.

neilconnolly79

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Mankato
State
MN
Well, the wife ain't said a word to me since I went to work Friday morning. She looked at the bank online and the camper loan that I didn't tell her about had showed up in our account list... This little fella followed me home after a long, long weekend trip, left Friday night and just got back an hour or so ago Sunday around 830. The JT did great till we were towing and in the hills around St. Louis and then the 20mph head/cross winds of Southern Iowa. 20220911_212956.jpgScreenshot_20220911-211520_Gallery.jpg

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
I placed an order Friday for a 2023 Gladiator Rubicon. Nothing I wanted anywhere on any lots so ordered instead. Quoted 12 weeks.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I placed an order Friday for a 2023 Gladiator Rubicon. Nothing I wanted anywhere on any lots so ordered instead. Quoted 12 weeks.
When they had to order my new 2022 last December it took about 3-4 months to arrive.