• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Gr8Dain's 4.0/aw4 swap from a 97 XJ

gr8dain

Hater of Electronics
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Thanks to that wiring information, I know have all of my lights functioning as they should. What did I learn today? That the crown maker light was wired backward. If you look up to a previous pic, the driver side marker is using the bright filament of the bulb. The other thing I learned is that the blinker wire of the body harness had power going all the way to the connector at the end, but not through it. So I spliced into both wires and made male connectors and the cut off the Crown marker light’s connector and put female connectors on both wires. Connected them respectively and now the lights are good. In hindsight I would have switched the male/female connectors on the two wires so that I could only connect them the right way. But oh well.

Other than the new Barnes 4WD crossmember, the actual Swap is done. Dare I say, but I did. I will get the crossmember installed before Nationals in June. I promise.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
I had the same light wired backward from crown (never ending scrambler build), took me a couple hours to find it. Glad it works now.

gr8dain

Hater of Electronics
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
After I figured it out, I was rebering reading about it as well. So it did not surprise me. So is it i tentional or just crappy quality control?

Last edited:

gr8dain

Hater of Electronics
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Well sh!t. Took the Scrambler out to go to a Cars and Coffee this morning. And all of a sudden at 45 mph, I lost rear wheel drive. I was able to limp it home by putting it into 4wd. But even then, I could not go over 15 mph without the revs being too high for comfort. So it seems like I will be taking the transfer case off. This does not make me happy at all.

gr8dain

Hater of Electronics
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I put it in drive and looked under the Jeep and the driveshaft is not turning. And when I shift it i to park, I get a grinding noise. So, I am definitely thinking transfer case

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I put it in drive and looked under the Jeep and the driveshaft is not turning. And when I shift it i to park, I get a grinding noise. So, I am definitely thinking transfer case
I would initially think transfer case too, although I’m worried that the revs are so high for not much speed. Grinding into park? That would seem to indicate that the transfer case is somewhat free spinning even when you’re stopped. Check t/c fluid for metal? Check operation in 4low?

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Didn't do anything to it this time while the engine work was done correct ? Just took it out and reinstalled ? ( t case )

gr8dain

Hater of Electronics
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Didn't do anything to it this time while the engine work was done correct ? Just took it out and reinstalled ? ( t case )

Correct. But I had to rebend the sticks since the t-case sat back farther. I think that was the issue. The stick probably bumped the edge of the hole in the tunnel cover.

So I just heated and bent the sticks back toward the seats more to give them more clearance from the edge. Once they cool down, I will put the cover back on and see how things go. Before, the sticks were almost touching the front edge of the hole when engaged in high.

Attachments

• D6440BDF-CB89-4CE2-8B7E-68D765B96109.jpeg
    D6440BDF-CB89-4CE2-8B7E-68D765B96109.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 4A65296D-3B1A-4A33-A110-637CAA508A90.jpeg
    4A65296D-3B1A-4A33-A110-637CAA508A90.jpeg
    163.1 KB · Views: 3

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Correct. But I had to rebend the sticks since the t-case sat back farther. I think that was the issue. The stick probably bumped the edge of the hole in the tunnel cover.

So I just heated and bent the sticks back toward the seats more to give them more clearance from the edge. Once they cool down, I will put the cover back on and see how things go. Before, the sticks were almost touching the front edge of the hole when engaged in high.
That makes sense. Let’s hope that’s all it was- rear drive not fully engaged.

gr8dain

Hater of Electronics
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Took it for a little test run at lunch today. Not far. It did not pop out of high gear. But I am not convinced everything is right again. Maybe it is me being overly cautious, but it does not seem to shift the transmission soon enough or at all. I only got it up to 25-30mph, but the revs were really high and did not shift yet. Maybe the TV cable needs adjusting again. Not sure. But I am not confident taking it anywhere yet

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Took it for a little test run at lunch today. Not far. It did not pop out of high gear. But I am not convinced everything is right again. Maybe it is me being overly cautious, but it does not seem to shift the transmission soon enough or at all. I only got it up to 25-30mph, but the revs were really high and did not shift yet. Maybe the TV cable needs adjusting again. Not sure. But I am not confident taking it anywhere yet
You need to push the TV cable all the way in and then go full throttle. Did you already do that once? Also be sure that the locking mechanism is lubricated and moves freely. After too much mud and dust, the button got gummed up and wouldn’t catch when I tried to adjust it the next time.

gr8dain

Hater of Electronics
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
You need to push the TV cable all the way in and then go full throttle. Did you already do that once? Also be sure that the locking mechanism is lubricated and moves freely. After too much mud and dust, the button got gummed up and wouldn’t catch when I tried to adjust it the next time.
I did it once last week. And it is a new cable so should not be dirty yet. And it moves freely. Again, not sure if that is my issue, but I will try it again.