Gr8Dain's 4.0/aw4 swap from a 97 XJ

City
auburn
State
ca
Put new pistons and bearings in. It's so far apart I wouldn't hesitate. The early 4.0s always end up with piston slap I've owned 4 of them. Plus good time to do a cheap cam and oil pump upgrade.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Put new pistons and bearings in. It's so far apart I wouldn't hesitate. The early 4.0s always end up with piston slap I've owned 4 of them. Plus good time to do a cheap cam and oil pump upgrade.
I’m in agreement here. By the time you have it down this far, why not just make it right? If it were in the vehicle, that’s one thing, but you have it loose and are already taking parts to a machine shop. :shrug:

gr8dain

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA

I was thinking about a new oil pump anyway. And I have been thinking about tearing the bottom down too. Ugh. It would be the right thing to do. But grrrr.

City
auburn
State
ca
Don't be scared you can slap bearings in and STD size pistons and rings with no machine work as long as nothing is spun and the cranks smooth. It will be fine people have done it for years.machine shops are hit or miss. With relatively low mileage you should be fine. Just watch the taper I'm the bores on the block.

gr8dain

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Got the head back from the machine ahop. He confirmed a valve on the #2 cylinder was stuck. Calve job and pressure test done. Like a brand new head (hopefully)

9BEAEABD-E615-4410-89F5-DF9D05828D09.jpeg
853A379C-9EF7-44E4-92FB-DC07581A2E42.jpeg

gr8dain

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I also had them machine down to 1 and 7/8” the 32 spline non cv yoke for the front output of the new to me 4:1 twin stick transfer case so I could actually have 4wd

965BEE29-5AA4-4B60-9541-6430BB778C44.jpeg

gr8dain

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I just placed an order with Rock Auto for a bunch of internal motor parts. Lifter, rod bearings, rings, oil pump kit, timing chain set, ignition coil, exhaust manifold, YJ accelerator cable, and TJ power steering pressure line. Still on the list are the poly motor mounts and tranny mount, then the transmission cooler and soft lines. I am looking forward to pulling the bottom apart and cleaning all of this. Just hitting the block with the wire brush made a huge mess in my garage.

gr8dain

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
And I picked up this air intake for a TJ from a friend for free. Wondering if anyone who has doe this know what I need in order to attach it to the intake. I assume there is a rubber or plastic piece that gors between this tube and the intake. Does anyone have a picture?

FD236756-7F21-49F7-A72B-34C0FE995880.jpeg

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
And I picked up this air intake for a TJ from a friend for free. Wondering if anyone who has doe this know what I need in order to attach it to the intake. I assume there is a rubber or plastic piece that gors between this tube and the intake. Does anyone have a picture?

View attachment 81215
I don't have first hand experience, but it looks like this is what you have.
https://static.thiecommerce.com/ass...311-inst/8cd65960bfa2ff8d9553a6066d72a58c.pdf
There is installation instructions and a parts list.
AEM does sell the hose couplers on their site, not sure about the TB spacer.

gr8dain

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA

gr8dain

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Removed the timing chain and pistons from the 4.0. Next step is to clean this beast. Then hone the cylinders. I think I should paint it. AMC blue?

A24DBE8A-2781-4DAD-9794-CC2811A2D61C.jpeg
3B2DD1A2-1430-4CEA-AE29-CEFF1B029FCF.jpeg
I also took the 3a out for a drive since I had to pull it out of the garage to make space.

3B8C1620-7F32-4FAA-914C-08675E8AA93C.jpeg

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Maybe paint if you can get it clean enough. I thought about it when I was doing mine last year, but in the end mine wasn't painted from the factory, and I know they get dirty so I figured what good is a dirty painted engine. I've always been more about functionality than looks. Kinda like the paint, it has good patina for 36 years old.