• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Gr8Dain's 4.0/aw4 swap from a 97 XJ

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
So after work tonight I took the grill off and undid thr wiring for the lights and the electric fan (obviously since the grill was going away)

5A86833A-C943-44A2-B82B-22D727CD6F36.jpeg

I kept the fenders on since I have a nasty HOA and figured this way it would at least LOOK like a functioning vehicle for a longer period of time.

B46C72D6-7F79-44AE-A9A3-D58062F7975D.jpeg

Here are the parts piling up in the garage

1BC16250-9162-4F25-931D-CF4F7E1EFDDA.jpeg

And the 3a is the reason I am having to do this in the driveway. But the Willys WILL NOT be outside overnight.

Last edited:

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Hey the 3a needs to pull its own weight then. Pile all that stuff in the back of it !

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Hey the 3a needs to pull its own weight then. Pile all that stuff in the back of it !

I like to drive it too much. So nothing is getting piled into it. I had that problem with my 69 GTO. It had way too much stuff on it and I hated looking at it that way. This way I can just hop in and drive the 3a whenever and not worry about having to unload crap

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Ao after work tonight I took the grill off and undid thr wiring for the lights and the electric fan (obviously since the grill was going away)

And the 3a is the reason I am having to do this in the driveway. But the Willys WILL NOT be outside overnight.
40.PNG
That looks nothing like my 4.0 :shrug:

Gotta love those HOA's :angry:

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
That is my son's SBC 350 for his impala. I have not gotten the 4.0 out of the truck yet.
Yeah, I knew that... :thumbsup:
was trying to feed the "if you're going to do a swap go with a V-8" group. ;)
I have a similar swap for mine on the back-back burner. Complete '93 GC 4.0L/AW4 + stoker kit.
:popcorn:

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Yeah, I knew that... :thumbsup:
was trying to feed the "if you're going to do a swap go with a V-8" group. ;)
I have a similar swap for mine on the back-back burner. Complete '93 GC 4.0L/AW4 + stoker kit.
:popcorn:

Please don’t feed the animals!!!!! Decision has been made. That was a tough one. I had to move on. :poop:

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
You better tighten up that frame some :)

Isn't that what these are for?

46b3ff66-ef13-478c-aeb7-a8a9fd946f97-jpeg.68825

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Borrowed a hoist to get the motor out of the back of the truck and then power washed it some before tucking it into the garage waiting for further instruction.

6BA478A7-D430-4992-9835-9432CDB9FB44.jpeg

83E3F2B7-3709-4009-9A0F-D4F24FEAB0D7.jpeg

In an effort to locate a complete and uncut wiring harness to modify, I may have located a complete Cherokee parts car with one that will cost the same as just the harness. Waiting on the seller to put some contact info on his listing so that I can ask questions.

Jeeperdd

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
SOA Member
City
Gordonsville
State
VA
Why not be money and time ahead and just swap out another 4.2?

Sounds like you are up against the wall not having anything else to drive.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
In an effort to locate a complete and uncut wiring harness to modify, I may have located a complete Cherokee parts car with one that will cost the same as just the harness. Waiting on the seller to put some contact info on his listing so that I can ask questions.

Spend the money....save the time...... buy the hesco harness.......how much is your time/sanity worth?

Do you really want the reliability of a 26 year old harness that has been hacked???

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
If he has a '97 engine, that is going to be OBDII.

IIRC, the Hesco harness is for OBDI.

If it was me, I would use the '97 engine and "backdate" it to OBDI.

BUT, if he is using the attached automtic transmission, then it would be more complicated to backdate to OBDI, due to the transmissions controls.

OBDI is simple. OBDII can be made to work, just more work.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Well, I am going to look at a parts jeep on Friday to see if the harness is there and complete/uncut. Else I may end up buying one from someone in CA and having it shipped.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Finished disconnecting and labeling the Sniper wiring. Ready to remove it from the intake and sell it.
79E87182-3171-4F39-9155-E54219827E96.jpeg

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Then went and pulled a harness and some other goodies, including the ecu and trans controller. We got some cables too. This was complete. We got what we could. I even got an intake manifold with fuel rail on it. D0B2FE89-6E5D-49F9-A978-802D22CCCD9F.jpeg

6B48911A-2822-4507-9E47-86BE3A4CA5D9.jpeg

629B269E-8CAD-4514-B45D-E2620CB190B5.jpeg

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I plan on sending the harness off and get it thinned down and made to fit the CJ bulkhead connector and only the essential parts of the motor and trans. I don’t have the patience or skill to do it myself.