• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Gr8Dain's 4.0/aw4 swap from a 97 XJ

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
So I went out and I reset the TV cable. And I had a spare TCU so tried that one out. Hoping it might help. But nope. I uploaded a video of my drive in the neighborhood. The initial shift as I start off are now really jerky. And the revs seem high at 25mph. Should it not be shifting already? I do not remember it being like this before my incident on Sunday. Could the transmission have a problem that caused the t-case to have popped out? And my transmission is the issue?

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Dumb question, you in low gear on the Tcase?

What happens when you use the shifter and shift manually?

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA

Now you have me questioning myself. I will check. I hope that is it. It sure seems like it

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA

OK. I am an idiot. The stick for the rear was in low after the bending and cutting I did yesterday. Grrrr. Big dummy.

Now I need white sharpie to right on the balls now.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I feel like deleting these last posts as they show what a big dummy I am. I just deleted my video. Hopefully no one will ever find the evidence 😜.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I feel like deleting these last posts as they show what a big dummy I am. I just deleted my video. Hopefully no one will ever find the evidence 😜.
Delete away, but every one of us has been there man. I thought I’d trashed my engine on one of my first trail rides when it started making a horrid noise that tracked with the revs. Describing it in a club forum in NC, someone asked if I’d checked the torque converter to flex plate bolts. They were loose and hitting the trans shield.

I just wanted it to be something that simple!

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Delete away, but every one of us has been there man. I thought I’d trashed my engine on one of my first trail rides when it started making a horrid noise that tracked with the revs. Describing it in a club forum in NC, someone asked if I’d checked the torque converter to flex plate bolts. They were loose and hitting the trans shield.

I just wanted it to be something that simple!

I am honestly always expecting the worst. Never even considering the easy stuff.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Well, I took it for a trip to the pharmacy and Wendy’s as a test. Made it to the pharmacy, then almost to the Wendy’s when it popped out of gear. I pulled over into a turn lane. Moved the lever to neutral then back to High. Nada. Put it in low, moved about 10 feet. Then back to High and it engaged and I was on my way. On my drive back from getting food, I rode with my hand against the shifter to see if it popped out, would I feel it. It did not happen. I will keep test driving it.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Well, I took it for a trip to the pharmacy and Wendy’s as a test. Made it to the pharmacy, then almost to the Wendy’s when it popped out of gear. I pulled over into a turn lane. Moved the lever to neutral then back to High. Nada. Put it in low, moved about 10 feet. Then back to High and it engaged and I was on my way. On my drive back from getting food, I rode with my hand against the shifter to see if it popped out, would I feel it. It did not happen. I will keep test driving it.
Motor mounts and trans mount are tight? Are you seeing excess movement in the sticks? I know it’s been a while since it was last on the road but something clearly isn’t quite there.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Motor mounts and trans mount are tight? Are you seeing excess movement in the sticks? I know it’s been a while since it was last on the road but something clearly isn’t quite there.

I will check the mounts. Do they wiggle when giving it gas? Yes. More than they used to? Not sure. I do know that I had the transfer case on the Jeep before the swap and did not have a problem. It was running fine for at least a few month or more.

I have the barnes 4wd crossmember to install still. Maybe that will help stiffen things. Who knows. Maybe a strap to hold the rear stick back will help. Don’t know. At least it isn’t my DD. But I would like it to stay in gear so I don’t abe to worry about it.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Yeah I put those in last fall. Would have been nice if they would have mentioned those when I talked to them the first time. Was having a little problem with assembly and they mentioned that. Luckily I was not finished and reinstalled.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
How ‘bout this for some hack job? I went to make more room for my twin sticks in case they were bumping the tub and causing the t-case to pop out of gear. Dremel came out to play. The “front” stick definitely hit the tub. The rear had some room, but I gave it some more. Then to clean it up and cover the extra size of the hole, black gorilla tape came out to play. Damn this Jeep is getting more hacked up. But i don’t care. As long as the twin sticks work right. And I have a metal blank to make a new cover if I care to in the future. But O want to test it out first. Good thing the tub is glass and I don’t really care about it.

And I learned that my rear stick was not fully engaging. When I was testing things, I put the front stick i to high and then I noticed that the rear stick slid further back as well. Then I could put the front stick back into neutral and the rear stick stayed. I am hoping that has been my problem.

Attachments

• 7852B305-8D96-44A8-B4B6-838E010B770D.jpeg
    7852B305-8D96-44A8-B4B6-838E010B770D.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 14
  • CA43F8E3-3C68-4A69-8842-98BBB5C84BB6.jpeg
    CA43F8E3-3C68-4A69-8842-98BBB5C84BB6.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 14
  • 95F9C610-880B-4E23-BAD7-CB4091233A1C.jpeg
    95F9C610-880B-4E23-BAD7-CB4091233A1C.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited: