ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Good news / bad news. I jumpered the connector to the ignition module, and I am getting crank signal. So good that it is working, bad that the harness connectors are bad. I had to bend the spades that go into the harness connector to get a firm connection.

33F3D2AA-9BE8-4CD4-8BE0-F7A91C9719B8.jpeg

Next issue is no fuel in the surge tank. I think the in line filter is blocking flow from the mechanical pump. I’m gonna remake the hose without the filter to see if that fixes it. :fingerscrossed:

sxer

Legacy Registered User
City
Little Falls
State
Mn
while waiting for the kit to arrive, I did some research and thinking about how to feed fuel to the throttle body. I ended up buying one of these:

View attachment 83629

I like this type of fuel feed since it keeps the pump submerged, the return line to the tank will be adequate since it is returning low pressure fuel from the mechanical pump, and the mechanical pump is pulling fuel from the stank like the stock setup.

I figured this would be a good way to go since it is similar to the fuel feed on my ski boat. Pleasure Craft Marine has utilized what they call the Fuel Control Center “FCC” since they converted to EFI. Mine is an ‘02 version on a Chevy 350 type engine. I’ve never had a lick of trouble from it since new. The FCC also integrates a fuel filter. I had though about buying a FCC and using that, but the FiTech unit looks to be more easily serviced with more standardized parts. The PCM parts are much more expensive since they are intended for a marine environment.
Unless it has changed recently Marine stern drive engines have not had an in tank pump or return line. They have two pumps, a low pressure to pull fuel from the tank and a high pressure in the vapor separator to feed the injectors. Excess fuel is returned to the line from the tank at the engine.

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Unless it has changed recently Marine stern drive engines have not had an in tank pump or return line. They have two pumps, a low pressure to pull fuel from the tank and a high pressure in the vapor separator to feed the injectors. Excess fuel is returned to the line from the tank at the engine.
That is exactly how my ‘02 Nautique is done. Has a low pressure pump to the “fuel control cell” where there is a filter and high pressure pump. In hindsight, I probably should have bought one of those for an all-in-one solution of pump/filter. Plus it is slightly smaller than the FI Tech one.

I might need to eat some crow though. My mechanical pump is not supplying fuel to the surge tank. I tried pulling a vacuum on the line and no fuel. Pulled the supply line to the mechanical pump and pulled a vacuum there and I have fuel. I plan to swap the mechanical pump for a known good one. Sad thing is the mechanical pump was working fine before I started the swap.

sxer

Legacy Registered User
City
Little Falls
State
Mn
That is exactly how my ‘02 Nautique is done. Has a low pressure pump to the “fuel control cell” where there is a filter and high pressure pump. In hindsight, I probably should have bought one of those for an all-in-one solution of pump/filter. Plus it is slightly smaller than the FI Tech one.

I might need to eat some crow though. My mechanical pump is not supplying fuel to the surge tank. I tried pulling a vacuum on the line and no fuel. Pulled the supply line to the mechanical pump and pulled a vacuum there and I have fuel. I plan to swap the mechanical pump for a known good one. Sad thing is the mechanical pump was working fine before I started the swap.
Is the vacuum high like a
restriction? Maybe you could find a used Marine low pressure electric pump.

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Is the vacuum high like a
restriction? Maybe you could find a used Marine low pressure electric pump.
No, vacuum did not register on the gauge when I pulled on the feed to the mechanical pump. I was able to pull a pint or two out of the tank using a catch can with a small vacuum pump.

sxer

Legacy Registered User
City
Little Falls
State
Mn

A Marine system would be pretty easy. All electronics are on the engine. All you have to provide is switched power and start signal to the solenoid. And a fuel supply. Senders for for oil pressure and water temp are part of the harness between dash and engine.

sxer

Legacy Registered User
City
Little Falls
State
Mn
No, vacuum did not register on the gauge when I pulled on the feed to the mechanical pump. I was able to pull a pint or two out of the tank using a catch
No, vacuum did not register on the gauge when I pulled on the feed to the mechanical pump. I was able to pull a pint or two out of the tank using a catch can with a small vacuum pump.
How about when you pull on the pressure side of the pump?

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
How about when you pull on the pressure side of the pump?
No flow, don’t remember if it held vacuum. The line from the pump to the surge tank is clear. I need to verify the return to the tank.

Before I started the swap, the fuel pump worked and flowed a couple pints into a catch can when I pulled the line from the carb. Also, the engine was running when I drove it into the garage just before starting the swap.

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Replaced the mechanical fuel pump.

6D3E8E76-1E8D-42A5-B50C-9429DE0CECEC.jpeg

Primed the fuel system and ...

22C5D491-8DD5-4901-BEDB-7FAADCFE6225.jpeg

But, now I have a seeping fitting on the surge tank.

B37C7131-61A9-4CD5-994C-32A1DAFCC7D0.jpeg

The power feed pass thru is seeping fuel. Gotta pull the top off the surge tank to see what the issue is. I fear I tightened it too much and cracked the seal.

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I will say it is amazing how good it runs. Neither of my Jeeps have ever run that smooth and with this much throttle response. It is impressively responsive.

Now I need to fix the transmission. I have a feeling it needs a complete rebuild, but before I do that I plan to diagnose it with this:

94C729E7-CDBF-4A85-92FC-98896804803C.jpeg

CD8B4A22-49BC-4DA0-88EF-A64443E514C9.jpeg

My Father’s Day present this year. Funny thing is I never asked for it. Guess my family just knew what was needed next. I have the best family (for a bunch of reasons)!

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
To do list for completing the install:

Replace the harness connectors to the ignition module.

Fix the seeping fuel pump power feed.

Reinstall ignition module and coolant overflow.

Check vacuum hoses and determine why I am at 1,700 rpm idle with a 0% iac setting. (Have a feeling I am getting too much vacuum flow on a “manifold” line.)

Top off engine coolant.

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Small update, I have not had a chance to actually drive it yet. Mainly due to the faulty ignition module wiring. I ordered new ignition module plugs, and got these in the mail today.

7E64B969-CB8D-4129-A8AE-3A7F5413C081.jpeg

Hopefully these will fix my wiring issue when I splice them into the harness. Not thrilled to be cutting the factory ends off, but they are not working, so I guess it is not a huge loss.

One issue is the gauge of the new wires don’t match the harness wire gauges for some.

That, and the two wire plug has 4 wires coming from it. 2 in one spot and an extra 3rd that is not used in this application.