• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

I'm 3/4 of the way to joining the LWB Jeep club...

1x1_Speed_Craig

Simplify...
City
Greeneville
State
TN
(CJ-)8 * 0.75 = (CJ-)6 :giggle:

I mentioned in my CJ-8.com (Re)Introduction thread that I have been looking for another old CJ. I've seen some very nice ones on the market, but they've pretty consistently been out of my reach financially. That said, I wasn't looking for a major project, but rather for a solid "survivor" that I could drive & enjoy, and tinker with here & there. I've always been a fan of the unique and/or ugly Jeeps in-general, and what I found fit the bill beautifully for me. In the process, I may have made a new friend in the seller, as he seems like a "brother from another mother", despite being a couple decades younger than me.

This '71 CJ-6 fire truck should hopefully be delivered to me within the next week. It was originally purchased new by a fire department in Ohio, and has just 5,760 original miles. It has the odd-fire 225 Dauntless V6, which early CJ owners really seem to like. It needs a tune-up and some brake work, but it does run/drive. I was born in '71, and this will actually be the first '71 I have owned, aside from one disassembled Jeep project that I just bought to part out almost 20 years ago.

It's not a Scrambler, but I'm certainly thankful to be buying suck a unique, solid survivor. It'll also get driven, mostly on 30-50 mph roads in my area, and won't be wheeled. I will, however, use it as somewhat of a farm/ranch truck around our property, as-needed.

1958CJ6FireTruck_5.jpg

1x1_Speed_Craig

Simplify...
City
Greeneville
State
TN
The CJ 6 is fine for young fellas like you. Old guys like me need the creature comforts of the 8......

"Old" is relative, I guess. :giggle: There are certainly days when my body tells me I'm old. I used to daily-drive a Scrambler, so at least I know what I'm working with from a comparison standpoint. Of course, that was 20 years ago.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
The V-6 is a great engine, I had one in my first CJ. One thing to expect with its age is to put a timing gear and chain set in, if it hasn’t already been done. They used nylon coated aluminum gears that deteriorated with age and heat. Otherwise, that’s a great find.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Uhhh....CJ6 is a LWB Jeep in my books, wheelbase is about the same as an 8. Just not a taildragger.🤪
Try to say that every time you get in and out of the driver’s seat. I love the -6, but from driving a -5 on a hunting lease, I have nightmares about getting in and out with my tailbone intact. I would call that a taildragger, just a different tail. :wave:

1x1_Speed_Craig

Simplify...
City
Greeneville
State
TN
Try to say that every time you get in and out of the driver’s seat. I love the -6, but from driving a -5 on a hunting lease, I have nightmares about getting in and out with my tailbone intact. I would call that a taildragger, just a different tail. :wave:

:giggle: I had an M170 in the past, so at least I know what to expect. Yes, they're more of a pain, but I can make due.

1x1_Speed_Craig

Simplify...
City
Greeneville
State
TN
The V-6 is a great engine, I had one in my first CJ. One thing to expect with its age is to put a timing gear and chain set in, if it hasn’t already been done. They used nylon coated aluminum gears that deteriorated with age and heat. Otherwise, that’s a great find.

I'll look into this more, John. Thanks for the heads-up.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Very cool, you need to find a photo of it all done up with the firefighting equipment installed! That stuff makes those insane bumpers look cool.

1x1_Speed_Craig

Simplify...
City
Greeneville
State
TN
My new '6 delivered today...in the downpouring rain. :LOL: Couldn't get it started, but I wasn't going to mess with it too much in the downpour. I did confirm that it has 3.73 gearing, which I suspected...should be good around-town gearing. Tires are 31" x 10.50", and are in beautiful shape.

I have a Bestop Tigertop already on-hand, and just need to get a dry, semi-warm day to get it installed.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
My new '6 delivered today...in the downpouring rain. :LOL: Couldn't get it started, but I wasn't going to mess with it too much in the downpour. I did confirm that it has 3.73 gearing, which I suspected...should be good around-town gearing. Tires are 31" x 10.50", and are in beautiful shape.

I have a Bestop Tigertop already on-hand, and just need to get a dry, semi-warm day to get it installed.
Awesome!