• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Interesting... Hagerty says to sell...

DeLuke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Dallas
State
TX
Guess, I’ll start. Interesting take by Hagerty and covers the discussion that I’ve had with several forum members. So here’s my Hot Scrambler Opinion. Hagerty seems to be addressing the more short-term investment market rather than the longer-term enthusiast market. I agree that Scrambler prices have jumped too high over the last 2-3 years. The flippers and the used car dealers have invaded the market, and I’ve pointed out several in different posts. The situation is comparable to the housing market. When you have investors buying housing on speculation to make money, the extra demand will push prices too high. Prices peak, the investor demand falls off as they shift to the next asset class, and finally prices drop / normalize. If so, maybe there will be some good buys coming.

We have a couple things going for us that the housing market does not. First, they are not making any more Scramblers. In fact, we’re losing some day-by-day, but hopefully not every day. Second, the enthusiast Scrambler interest is still probably growing which will help with long-term demand. Yeah, Scramblers may be fully priced now but long-term, they are unique assets and a good store of value and that's what I tell my wife.

Absolutely none of the above begins to consider the enjoyment factor: driving, admiring, tinkering, improving, bloodying knuckles, etc.

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Guess, I’ll start. Interesting take by Hagerty and covers the discussion that I’ve had with several forum members. So here’s my Hot Scrambler Opinion. Hagerty seems to be addressing the more short-term investment market rather than the longer-term enthusiast market. I agree that Scrambler prices have jumped too high over the last 2-3 years. The flippers and the used car dealers have invaded the market, and I’ve pointed out several in different posts. The situation is comparable to the housing market. When you have investors buying housing on speculation to make money, the extra demand will push prices too high. Prices peak, the investor demand falls off as they shift to the next asset class, and finally prices drop / normalize. If so, maybe there will be some good buys coming.

We have a couple things going for us that the housing market does not. First, they are not making any more Scramblers. In fact, we’re losing some day-by-day, but hopefully not every day. Second, the enthusiast Scrambler interest is still probably growing which will help with long-term demand. Yeah, Scramblers may be fully priced now but long-term, they are unique assets and a good store of value and that's what I tell my wife.

Absolutely none of the above begins to consider the enjoyment factor: driving, admiring, tinkering, improving, bloodying knuckles, etc.

Well said.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La

I think you are right on spot

scramble1983

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Dallas
State
tx
Great response DeLuke,

Just a few things to add, Toyota FJ's, Gen 1 Broncos and Blazers have been peaking for almost 10 years and they produced 10 times more of those than Scramblers. Even the number of Scramblers for sale pale in comparison to those other models. Most new collectors are unaware of scramblers because of their scarcity, making such a prediction just speculation.

Either way, I doubt any of us initially bought our vehicles to get us through retirement. Unless flipping cars is a day job, the car hobby will and always has been for the emotional reward...just ask my bank account.

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
That bronco in the first picture is a thing of beauty though.

Gueon

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Thatcher
State
AZ

Read the same article and felt pretty much as you stated it...

Scott_P

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
Benzonia
State
MI
Hagerty has been trying to re-market/expand their business into media and brand themselves as more than "just an insurance company" with their "new improved" magazine, increased web/e-mail presence and lots of market speculation articles. As with most media outlets, I ignore the hype and enjoy what I enjoy!

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Hagerty thinks Scrambler prices have risen 60% in the last two years. Probably at auctions for completely gone through ones priced in the 30K to 50K range. I don't expect there are too many of those around that are going to auctions or very many buyers for them. So maybe if you've got one of those that you were expecting to sell in that price range, now might be the time to sell. I agree with DeLuke, he covered just about everything accurately. The Jeep hobby goes on, and Hagerty will try to pick winners and loosers because that's what they do.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
All "markets" are local :twocents:

You can pick up excellent shape 1980-1986 Bronco's down here cheap, they are just too plentiful.

As for their "opinion" on Scramblers, well, you know what they say about opinions.....................:rotfl: :thumbsup: :twocents: :wave:

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
I've never owned a single CJ based off of other opinions or the market and I don't plan to start now. Haggarty can think what they want. I am happy they provide me with full insurance though and the magazine is a nice touch.

rubclt

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Charlotte
State
NC
I actually think the new JL Truck named Scrambler will increase demand for the original Scrambler, with limited supply prices will go up...

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
I think DeLuke nailed it. For people who make a business out of restoring/flipping vehicles I think the article is pretty accurate. I like to see the Full-size Jeep Cherokee in there too. I think it's day in the sun is forthcoming especially for great, original survivor ones. People like to see something a little more unique and obscure then Blazers/Broncos all the time and the Cherokee fits that bill nicely.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I'm guessing we'll see some reignited interest once the new "Scrambler" is released.