Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Got the 360 all finished up this weekend. The top end is all buttoned up with new Scorpion roller rockers and new Comp Cams push rods and Edelbrock 4BBL intake. Got it all packed into the back of the Yukon and brought it home. Now just need to tackle the TorqueFlight 727 for it then pull the old stuff and slide in this nice new drivetrain!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373292902.243094.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373292925.978751.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373292939.426437.jpg

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
New motor and trans is in and very close to starting it. Hoping to finish up the last small stuff tomorrow and turn this bad boy over!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389571016.625644.jpg

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Well the new motor started and ran but not for very long. The starter solenoid decided to stick on and burnt up along with my starter motor. :banghead: So now I need a new starter and solenoid. I also need to order a few small pieces from MSD to finish up the upgraded ignition. We just used the old ignition module and coil to start the motor, we figured it would be easier to trouble shoot without adding all the new ignition stuff on top of the new motor and making sure we had everything hooked up. Once it is running good I will swap over to the new MSD stuff. I will update when we try again.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
It's so good to hear again you are breathing new life into your J10. You are an exclusive member of a club of almost no one ;)

Can't wait to hear that thing is running smooth :thumbsup:

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Updating this thread. Been having all kinds of starter issues. After 3 different starters and lots of head scratching we figured out we had the "wrong" flywheel on the motor. At some point around 1986 I think the flywheel was changed and a different style starter was used (same style as on the 4.0 and not the old Ford style). This flywheel offset is just a bit different and wasn't allowing the starter bendix to disengage after starting the motor. Once we figured that out it was just a matter of getting the correct starter and some minor rewiring and it is running now! Just need to adjust timing/carb, clean up the wiring and adjust trans linkage and it should be back on the road!! Finally!

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Update: The J10 has been sitting most of the winter. It hasn't been running very good and I figured it was the carb. I rebuilt the Edelbrock 1406 carb and put it back on this last week. It starts right up and runs like a scalded dog! I was doing burnouts with it. It was so much fun to drive finally! Got it home and had steam coming out from under the hood...crap. Heater core decided to die. New one is on order.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Everything is down and out. Lots of pine needles and leaf debris in the heater core housing. Not unusual nor unexpected. Cleaned everything up and hit a few parts with some black paint. The old heater core had some type of foam rings/cushions around the inlet and outlet holes in the housing. I assume they are to protect the copper tubing from damage and to help try to keep debris from entering the housing. Any idea where to get them or what to make some new ones out of?