• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Joe's 1982 Scrambler Restoration Thread (Retitled From: Bringing The Scrambler Home)

Joe West

Arizona Virtual Jeep Club
Lifetime Member
City
Laurinburg
State
NC
I set permissions to allow guests to view photo albums but for some reason, some other vBulletin setting must be overriding it.

The only way around it is to register for the site... which may not be bad since we have a very nice for-sale and free section :)

Joe

Joe West

Lifetime Member
City
Laurinburg
State
NC
New dash pad installed...

Hi Gang... just added a new (used) dash pad today... thought I'd upload a couple of new pictures. It has been raining like cats and dogs here in Arizona lately and I've not had much time to work on the Scrambler.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Joe West

Lifetime Member
City
Laurinburg
State
NC
Update....

Hi Gang,

The Scrambler is now being driven daily and I'm fixing the "little" problems as they arise. Yesterday I removed and replaced the heater core and did a bit of a "rebuild" on the heater box. Here's what it looked like when I pulled it out:

attachment.php

attachment.php

And here's a shot of it after I cleaned everything up. This is just before I buttoned up the back:

attachment.php

I have a couple of small projects left before I can move to "tinker" mode where I fix the small things:

1. Rebuild the power steering gearbox. Anyone here done this before?
2. Replace the clutch disk, TO bearing, and pilot bearing (clutch chatters badly)

The only irritation I'm having right now is getting the BBD to idle correctly. It runs wonderfully, but when I transition from highway speeds to a stop; it wants to die. Once I'm stopped and I feather the gas, it will hold idle just fine. It seems to want to die after extended high speed runs.

I'll post more as things progress. I have about 250 miles on the Scrambler and I'm very happy with how it is running (other than the idle problem).

Joe

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Joe West said:
1. Rebuild the power steering gearbox. Anyone here done this before?

Read of many attempts which generally end up with one worse than before. The general recommendation is to just replace it with a new/professionally remanned unit and save the frustration

Joe West said:
The only irritation I'm having right now is getting the BBD to idle correctly. It runs wonderfully, but when I transition from highway speeds to a stop; it wants to die. Once I'm stopped and I feather the gas, it will hold idle just fine. It seems to want to die after extended high speed runs.

Easy fix:

1. Remove Carter.
2. Throw as far as you can possibly can.
3. Replace with your choice of a real carb (MC2100-my choice, Weber, Holley, etc.)

Unless I already had a perfectly running Carter, I wouldn't spend ONE MINUTE working on it. I took others' advice on this and have never regretted it.

Joe West

Lifetime Member
City
Laurinburg
State
NC
A Few Updates...

Hi Gang,

I've done a few more updates on the Scrambler.

It now has the factory rear white bumper back on it, and I rebuilt the speedometer assembly.

With school going on full time now... I've not had much time to do any big projects on the Scrambler.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Joe West

Lifetime Member
City
Laurinburg
State
NC
Installed Soft Half Top Today

Hi Gang,

Yesterday I installed a NOS Factory half soft-top. Here are a few pictures:

attachmentphpattachmentid32936stc1d12685-1.jpg

attachmentphpattachmentid32937stc1d12685-1.jpg

attachmentphpattachmentid32938stc1d12685-1.jpg

attachmentphpattachmentid32939stc1d12685-1.jpg

attachmentphpattachmentid32940stc1d12685-1.jpg

attachmentphpattachmentid32941stc1d12685-1.jpg

attachmentphpattachmentid32942stc1d12685-1.jpg

attachmentphpattachmentid32943stc1d12685-1.jpg

Joe West

Lifetime Member
City
Laurinburg
State
NC
Now all I need to do is to find the parts to mount the shoulder harnesses :)

Dave K.

Legacy Registered User
City
Milwaukee
State
WI
Really looks great--that original look can't be beat. I have some nice OEM chrome rims which have been sitting in my garage for some time and I think I'll get them installed with some 235's in the next couple of weeks and get rid of the 31s. I look forward to seeing how it changes the appearance . . . .

I still have an NOS nutmeg half top I need to install--wanna stop by and help me do it? :) Your install is nice and tight--I fear screwing mine up! Just a few hours away up here in Milwaukee . . . . that's WI of course . . . . okay, more than a few hours . . . .

Joe West

Lifetime Member
City
Laurinburg
State
NC
Dave... just bring it out here to sunny Arizona. Tops are MUCH easier to put on correctly in 80 degree weather :)

The install was pretty easy... just taking it slow, measuring twice and drilling once :)

One thing that made it easier is that I took the installation instructions to my local ACE hardware store and purchased all of the hardware in one shot... even the snaps that mount to the body are still available. There were a couple of special screws with one size body and a smaller size head (like a number 8 body with a number 6 head) so I ended up with slightly larger head sizes on a couple of the screws. I think the entire set of stainless steel fasteners cost $11.

The hardest part for me was figuring out how to install the top through the horizontal supports above the doors. The instructions don't have any pictures and I couldn't tell how they should go through... I ended up figuring it out by trial and error :D The interior shots in this thread should help anyone else who may run into the same problem I did.

Joe

Really looks great--that original look can't be beat. I have some nice OEM chrome rims which have been sitting in my garage for some time and I think I'll get them installed with some 235's in the next couple of weeks and get rid of the 31s. I look forward to seeing how it changes the appearance . . . .

I still have an NOS nutmeg half top I need to install--wanna stop by and help me do it? :) Your install is nice and tight--I fear screwing mine up! Just a few hours away up here in Milwaukee . . . . that's WI of course . . . . okay, more than a few hours . . . .

Bushmaster6

Legacy Registered User
City
the Springs
State
CO
Joe,

great shots.. have looked at your progress thread many times for inspiration. Dig the factory steelies and I kinda like how you've left some of the knocks/dents in the body.. adds character!

cheers
David

Joe West

Lifetime Member
City
Laurinburg
State
NC

I don't think the dents will be there forever... just until I get everything else done. The bodywork will be the last thing I tackle.

Joe,

great shots.. have looked at your progress thread many times for inspiration. Dig the factory steelies and I kinda like how you've left some of the knocks/dents in the body.. adds character!

cheers
David

jak inc

I H8 RUST!
Lifetime Member
City
Merton
State
WI
White Top!

I love the look of the white top, whether it is a hard or soft top. The icing on the cake is the white soft doors. That just looks beautiful Joe! :thumbsup:

Jeff

USCG_Diver

Just Emptied Every Pocket
City
Norfolk
State
VA
Nice Joe! I am glad that top got a good home. Nice find on the doors and skins too. I am excited for you.

Joe West

Lifetime Member
City
Laurinburg
State
NC
New Seats!

Hi Gang,

Well... the latest restoration project on the Scrambler has been completed; New Seats!
I had a local shop here match the factory seats as best they could. I'm extremely happy with their results. They found a blue denim vinyl material that matches the factory material with respect to texture and pattern, the color is lighter than my factory seats but I'm happy with it.
The local shop rebuilt the padding and I'm absolutely amazed at how comfortable it is compared to the broken down padding I was accustomed to. Here are a few shots:

attachmentphpattachmentid33222stc1d12702-1.jpg

attachmentphpattachmentid33223stc1d12702-1.jpg

attachmentphpattachmentid33224stc1d12702-1.jpg

attachmentphpattachmentid33225stc1d12702-1.jpg

attachmentphpattachmentid33226stc1d12702-1.jpg

attachmentphpattachmentid33227stc1d12702-1.jpg

attachmentphpattachmentid33228stc1d12702-1.jpg

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Nice! It's really coming along well. Keep up the good work :)

BTW, I moved your thread to the complete builds forum with a redirect from Scramblings, seems better suited for showing off the progress :thumbsup:

MarknessMonster

Amiable Jeeper
City
Western
State
CO
It looks good, Joe! I noticed the angle of your transfer case handle/lever, and how it is "turned-up" just at the knob. I don't recall that feature as stock, but it would likely be a more user-friendly design. Is that something you changed?