• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Meet Red, my 81 Restomod Build

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Here we go again. Allow me to formally introduce "Red", my 1981 Scrambler restomod. Some of you might remember I acquired Red with some trading a couple years or so ago. She was going to be spare parts, and I couldn't let that happen. When I met her, she was completely disassembled. So, I sold off all the parts I didn't need, and pretty much ended up with what was left for free. Here's her initial state-

IMG_1316.jpg

IMG_1317.jpg

IMG_1319.jpg

IMG_1320.jpg

IMG_1321.jpg

IMG_1331.jpg

Last edited:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
This was a rust free Scrambler, with about 100K on the clock. Even the bed was decent! She was left to sit about 15 years in a field in dry Eastern Oregon due to a bad head gasket.
IMG_1388.jpg

There were some extras that I ended up keeping...
IMG_1349.jpg

So, My son-in-law and I threw her together so we could tow her to storage-
IMG_1348.jpg

And she was "home"
IMG_1389.jpg

The rear step bumper revealed that she was originally sold at Butler motors in Grand Junction, Colo. The dealership has since gone out of business. I found out she was born on 6/17/81, and I was the third owner. The second owner only disassembled her, that doesn't really count, does it?
IMG_1776.jpg

Last edited:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
While in storage I bolted up the pile of parts, and anxiously waited for the day I would be able to bring her to her real home.

IMG_1481.jpg

That day finally came. I was all smiles as I towed her home- It was a Scrambler train!

IMG_1766.jpgIMG_1767.jpg

For the next couple years she either hung out in the carport, or in the driveway, or did her best to get in the background of many photos. I think she's a bit of a ham...

IMG_1771.jpg

IMG_2081.jpg

IMG_2107.jpg

IMG_2106.jpg

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
You can see in the last picture above I did find a decent set of tires for free. New shoes made her feel loved. I also traded her Narrow-tracks for a set of wide-track axles out of an 82. Much better, it will be perfect offset with 8" wheels and factory flares.

Stock and skinny-
IMG_2646.jpg

The wide tracks give her a more aggressive look- my little Huntress! First the fronts-
IMG_2653.jpg

And then the rears.
IMG_2674.jpg

Unfortunately, she then had to go outside and wait her turn for more lovin'. She was patient, but I swear I heard her whimper the day I brought the J20 home. But she's happy again now that she's in the garage. And the J20's tough- he can take it.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Ok...Why are all the pics i took with my phone coming up sideways? They show up correctly on my computer...:banghead:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
That brings us up to speed. She's in the garage- this time to stay. I have accumulated a ton of parts, thanks to Craigslist and especially to Dennis and Steve- Dennis for sideboards and Steve for a dash pad and soft doors. There's a bunch of other parts too- spares from my 82 build, freebies like a pair of Liberty seats from work, and lots more. So- here's how she sits as of this afternoon.

P1090381.jpg

P1090383.jpg

Just for fun, I took some rubbing compound to a spot on the hood. About 5 minutes later, after compound and a bit of wax- the paint looked great! Bummer- if the PO hadn't been so anxious to take off the decals with a razor blade and a DA, I could have had a nice original paint with patina Scrambler! :angry:

P1090386.jpg

P1090387.jpg

Why???
P1090384.jpg

P1090385.jpg

So, now we're up to date. Stay tuned for much more progress, hopefully at a pretty good rate!

Last edited:

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
Great start and this should be fun but I could have sworn those side boards I sent you were in better shape than that. LMAO

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Great start and this should be fun but I could have sworn those side boards I sent you were in better shape than that. LMAO

The ones you sent are beyond beautiful. The ones in the pictures are beyond hope. I just need to figure out how to get the OE hardware refinished.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I like original patina

Sent from my iPad

I do too! I just wish the PO hadn't screwed it up with the decal removal. If he hadn't, I'd just polish it out and run it as is. Now I have to repaint the whole thing!:angry:

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Any chance you could rub it out and put new decals right back where they were? Those other ground down areas would need some painting to bleld in though.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Any chance you could rub it out and put new decals right back where they were? Those other ground down areas would need some painting to bleld in though.

Thought about that. But it's both lower hinges, the cowl, and both rear quarters...and they're bad. Razor blade divots all over the hood too, but just under the decals. The biggest issue is they used a razor to remove them, and then tried a DA to smooth the divots. I think color matching would be a problem, so a full repaint is in order. Should have the body off within the week.

48Bob

Legacy Registered User
City
Montrose
State
CO
Oh boy, oh boy, another Randyzzz build. I can't wait to see where this one goes!

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
The suspense is killing me.

Attachments

• popcorngazelle[1].gif
    popcorngazelle[1].gif
    271.4 KB · Views: 277

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
This will be a nice one to watch. How about a list of what's planned for this one, i.e. lift, engine/trans, brakes, etc.
We're all going to be be watching this one Randy!

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Plans?

I want a Scrambler that respects the classic look, has the modern conveniences, and wields more than enough power. And hopefully gets good fuel economy. Going to be really attentive to the appearance in fit and finish. I realize that this is not everyone's cup of tea, but the build thread will hopefully be interesting. I've learned a lot in the years since I built Copper, and I think this one will hit my nail on the head. I also think there might be a market for this type of build in the Mecum/Barret Jackson circles, which would be amazing for my business. Think an "Icon" type vehicle. Or, think of Stump Jumper! No, that doesn't mean I am building it to sell, but as a rolling business card.

OK, here's the planned build specs...

Engine: 4.8l GM
Exhaust: Quiet muffler. 3" tubing, possibly an electric cutout that self actuates at full throttle for showing off.
Trans: 4L60E
Shifter: Column mounted on S10 column with integral wiper/cruise/beam- or floor shifter with similar column.
Radiator: Aftermarket aluminum
T/C: 241C
Fuel system: Aero 33 gal tank or similar with in tank GM pump.
Front: D30 w/ True Track or similar
Rear: Undecided. Leaning towards a full floater 9", However a nice D44 would work too. I have an AMC 20 but that would be a last resort. Selectable Locker or limited slip.
Gearing: 4.11
Brakes: Vacuum booster, disc/disc.
Tires: BFG KO2 31/10.50R15, 265/75R16 or 265/70R17
Wheels- Undecided. Stock steel spokes powder coated Argent, or some type of aftermarket alloy.
Lift: 1-2", only as much as necessary. Bilstein 5100 shocks.
Paint: Stock red, with factory decals.
Top: Tan/Nutmeg
Grille: Chrome
Front Bumper: Undecided.
Rear Bumper: Either powder coated factory step bumper, or aftermarket to match the front. Think Warn style.
Tire Carrier: Factory
Flares: Factory
Rocker trim: Factory
Side boards: Stump Jumper Customs by Dennis (Factory)
Roll Bar: Factory
Seats: PT Cruiser unless I find something I like better, reupholstered in Tan/Nutmeg Leather. 3Pt seat belts.
Dash and Gauges: Speedhut gauges, stockish dash, Must have bluetooth radio for hands free phone. Only go to DIN mount as last resort. Nav on separate 7" removable screen above dash. Scanguage, Tan/Nutmeg dash pad.
Heater: Factory with Blazer Motor.
A/c: Underdash, either OEM or aftermarket.
Console: Custom built, must accommodate dog on top and firearm inside. :)
Wiring: I'll do the engine harness myself, and build my own body harness.
Other: Carpet, tons of soundproofing, power windows/locks, keyless entry and remote start.

Budget: Are You Kidding? I am going to try and keep this within reason by performing all the labor myself, with the exception of paint. I will be sourcing a used engine, overhauling an existing trans that I already have. I have been accumulating parts for the 2 plus years that I have owned this Scrambler, so that will help.

Feel free to ask questions or make suggestions.