• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Meet Red, my 81 Restomod Build

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
What type of hand brake will you use? I have been kicking the idea of a disk or drum brake setup off the transfer case as the emergency brake. Like the use of the nutsert. Very clean.
I don’t know on the handbrake setup. I have been looking at the Lokar handle, but I would like to find something more “industrial” looking. Not so fancy. I have a couple of assemblies here that I removed from junk cars, we will see.

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
Look at a brake handle out of a TJ/LJ also it was an option I looked at for my CJ 6.

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
I’ll give that a look. Thanks!
My buddy has a military hummer. His hand lever break is awesome. You can adjust the tension by turning the top of the handle. Very industrial, but practical and User friendly. I’ll try to get pictures in the next few days. In the meantime you can Google military hummer parking brake. I’m sure there’s plenty of pictures

Domin8

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
Astoria
State
NY
My buddy has a military hummer. His hand lever break is awesome. You can adjust the tension by turning the top of the handle. Very industrial, but practical and User friendly. I’ll try to get pictures in the next few days. In the meantime you can Google military hummer parking brake. I’m sure there’s plenty of pictures

I believe Grumman step vans used to have the same parking brake set up as well.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Had a late 90's international 4700 series truck at work that was like that, I would crank that thing super tight on real steep hills.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Looking forward to see what you go with on the hand brake job. So will it be the CJ system with the foot part removed and hand part added in ?
The Hummer style brake looks promising. I’ll be doing a complete new system because the way I did my exhaust keeps me from using the stock style routing. I’ll bring both cables all the way up front to the hand lever. Should I do 2 levers like cutting brakes? Might help with the rear limited slip-?

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Today’s progress- finished cleaning the frame and put on two coats of SEM Rust-Shield. It’s sorta like POR15 or some of the other coatings out there. It really goes on nice, gets tacky quick, stinks, and is a nightmare to clean up. (Don’t get it on your hootus?) I had forgotten I had this in my paint cabinet. I did a test patch a couple of days ago and it’s really durable. Even resists the sand blaster! Here’s the pics.
316A9732-0C77-44A0-8E02-A856A90DF472.jpegF024719A-3BA6-4760-BE9B-BA4A617BF94A.jpegEE4E65F5-3847-4E2C-A282-1E183AB70B9C.jpegNow I have to decide if I want to topcoat it’s with the VHT satin frame paint epoxy, or maybe try Hammerite again. I’m leaning to the black epoxy. I’ll give it a couple days before I start that.
Just for fun I stamped my initials and 2020 in the frame above the vin stamp?
21D39232-260B-4C29-82F9-4403B8079F5B.jpeg

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
Thank you! I look forward to driving it!
I’ve used the product you mentioned before. I think it’s great for rock chips but I’m concerned about gouging the bed paint or dents in the sides from the insides out. I want to be able to use it as a truck. I’m still not liking the bedliner idea but it seems to be the only choice.
I’m lurking again

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Another most elusive piece of the puzzle showed up today, thanks to CJ7Pilot! A set of internal spline hubs!!! I am so excited, and so grateful! View attachment 83192

Can you show how the warn hub engages this?

What is the difference between intenally and externally splined hubs?

I have superwinch hubs; I know what those look like (I seem to break the little springs)

I went with ARP studs and ultra high end locking washers...