• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Mud Scrambler - Must be Red Dents are fine, some rust fine

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
After some reading on IFSJA found out that the Prestolite dizzy uses a hall effect sensor and will not communicate with any ignition modules other than the Prestolite.

So now headed down slippery slope of new distributor and reuse the Prestolite gear so it matches the cam gear.

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
While waiting on MSD Dizzy to show up... decided to install carpet and bed mat.

Carpet is nice & from 82 Oriental Scrambler, had to be cut around the Tuffy speaker boxes that are now part of roll bar brace.

Then I chunked the Jeep Scrambler bed mat in and it doesn't fit:

Can see here how it overhangs out of back of tub by 1/2"

I tried another Scrambler bed mat (shorter version), and it fits perfect.

So this tells me that there are 2 different styles of OEM Jeep SE Scrambler bed mats.

The cut is different for bulkhead, the front arms are 2 1/2 vs 3" and the area behind wheelhouse is cut further back.

I'm guessing that the (Larger version) one fits 81-82, but haven't tried it yet.

More Jeep Trivia :ZZZ:

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
I think I started a thread about this but I believe that yes there is a difference. I bought one from a forum member that will not properly fit in an 84. It curls up around the bulkhead and rollbar.
I have another mat in another 84--My never going to finish red SL--that the mat fits perfect in. However, the red SL has no bulkhead yet but everything else fits great.

I haven't had the time to compare the two like the picture above. Always willing to trade for the correct one.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
I wonder if the bulk heads are slightly different, too :shrug:

There was a thread/pictures somewhere on this site showing bulkhead differences, mainly with regards to the top corners. Maybe there is a difference at the bottom, too :shrug:

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
It seems like the bulkhead would be different but I don't think I've seen any discussions about bulkhead differences. I'm sure there's more bulkhead swapping than oem bedmat placement issues.

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
Good to know someone else had issues with fitment.

Jeep Scrambler trivia at its finest :)

There is only one part # in Jeep SE accessory book.

I've never seen a TSB and I've got all the books.

I have seen TSB for dealer installing a J Truck OEM Bed mat, shows where to cut 8' bed to fit 6' bed.

I think... The short Scrambler Bed mat version is for 83-85

And long version is for 81-82

What seems to bow up installing the long version in a 83-85 is the bulkhead AND the mat hitting behind the rear of wheelhouse.

I'll start a separate thread when I get it all figured out.

I haven't found a good way to cut the mat to fit. Sure a knife would cut, but leaves jagged edge cutting thru that thick of hard rubber.

Need some kind of hot knife.

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
MSD Pro Billet dizzy installed. Swapped on the original dizzy gear, wear pattern was perfect.

Little gas in carb... Cranked first try.

And first ride in years !

Nothing like bringing an old Jeep back to new and better life

Still pretty good list to fix before being "FINISHED"

IAFFCJ

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
My wife asked me the other day what i would do when the jeeps were finished i just laughed and told her it will never happen no need to worry.

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
Yea, no doubt "Finished" is not good term for old Jeeps.

This was supposed to be a low budget but high quality build and I did accomplish that somewhat.

I may install a nice used Black 1/2 soft top.

And still thinking about making plate to mount winch to top of roll bar for dragging deer & pig's into bed... but I've got other Jeep projects to finish & start on.

Usually don't do anything on Monday nights... but decided to install the 150' of wire winch cable.

This tool puts it on tight and easily makes it neat like factory installed: