• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Mud Scrambler - Must be Red Dents are fine, some rust fine

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
Washed on it most all weekend, until steam cleaner broke.

Need to drive it up on trailer so can wash undercarriage more.

Fluid smells burnt & redish/black in color.

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
Update:

15 year old Daughter has been driving wheels off "Muddie Buddie" for while now. No accidents :fingerscrossed:
Although almost drowned the Jeep backing boat into duck pond.
It's been stuck several times and she knows all about safe winching.
Couple of her friends want me to build them a Jeep and the boys (increasingly showing up) are wanting to drive it, but she won't let them.

TH400 Transmission was fully rebuilt with high quality internals, and I installed a Lokar shifter.
New exhaust system and last night we put on new master cylinder.

No other mechanical problems and A/C is 100% leak free and freezes you out.
Broke factory lockout, but I consider that a fuse.

Front YJ springs have sagged due to extra weight of AMC 360, heavy Odyssey battery, A/C system, Jambo mount 8274 Warn, Tuffy under hood tool box, battery charger, air compressor, and the folding tow bar with bumper reinforcement.

33" Gateway Buckshots are now getting worn. Gateway reintroduced the Buckshots but only offer 31" on 15" wheels.

So looking at new springs, probably RE 4.5 heavy rate and 34x10.5x15" Interco Boggers.

Beaters are neater and having good time with this Jeep.

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
This set of Buckshot's were used for one hunting season before I traded for them.

We have put around 3500 miles in year that Muddie Buddie has been finished. Although most of the miles are gravel/ dirt roads.

When I ran these in mid 80's you could get about 5,000 miles before they started having issues.

Were soft and stickey and made for one purpose, digging into ground firma.

They were patterened after the grip spurs, a farm light truck tire.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
Oh I remember Grip Spurs. Same pattern as Buckshots but a harder compound.

The Farmer's Co-Op used to sell both back in the 80's and 90's. Still see some Grip Spurs on old farm trailers around here from time to time.

Those things sing going down the highway.

My CJ-7 I picked up in '93 had 29K miles on it when I bought it, and the Buckshots were about done. I always wondered how many miles were on them. Assuming the original tires weren't immediately taken off and replaced with Buckshots, and the Buckshots were used, that's not many miles on a set of tires.

Of course, back then most of the CJ's around here were bought and left at hunting camp and only saw pavement when they were driven in from camp for the yearly oil change.

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
Well the drivers side axle seal is leaking grease on drum brakes, so Muddie Buddie gets to stay in my shop for bit.

The Old Man Emu 2.5 YJ springs have settled and tired of bottoming out on bumpstops, so another task to fix.

I'm thinking since I have lot of weight on front maybe I should go 4" so it will settle to about right for 33" with front axle pushed forward 1.5"

I'm already set up for YJ conversion, but the Confer Shackles may be limiting factor of running the larger 1.5" ID YJ spring bushings.

Any ideas on running the larger ID spring bushings on CJ ?

These are springs I'm thinking about getting.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/16003_116.htm

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
So got the rear wheel bearings and brakes done on both sides.
Got the front 4" springs installed and adjustable sway bar links to keep from hitting the brake lines.

Now need extended brake hoses.
I like the design of the OEM rubber brake hoses as there is a length of steel hard line from caliper that keeps hose away from tire.
Remember there was a part # found for longer rubber hoses with the steel line.
Maybe a different vehicle or longer ones from early YJ? Anyone know ?

Sure Quadratc sells braided lines from several mfg, but none have the hard line.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
So got the rear wheel bearings and brakes done on both sides.
Got the front 4" springs installed and adjustable sway bar links to keep from hitting the brake lines.

Now need extended brake hoses.
I like the design of the OEM rubber brake hoses as there is a length of steel hard line from caliper that keeps hose away from tire.
Remember there was a part # found for longer rubber hoses with the steel line.
Maybe a different vehicle or longer ones from early YJ? Anyone know ?

Sure Quadratc sells braided lines from several mfg, but none have the hard line.
Post #504:

https://www.cj-8.com/threads/spankrjs-1984-long-term-project.32726/page-26

They have been working fine the last 4 years, and survived South Dakota with the sway bar disconnected, must be long enough LOL

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
Front hoses fit great, just minimal bending of hard line.
Of course the passenger side line wouldn't come loose and broke.
Inline tube got me fixed up.
Had to take radiator out which has been seeping under pressure... so another can of worms to fix while its out.

Thinking about getting US Radiators http://dev.usradiator.com/jeep-cj-1970-86-all-radiator.html and also hear ok reviews about Champion Radiators.

The Be Cool radiator has the transmission cooler lines on the drivers side, so that would be funky routing lines from passenger side.

Any other recommendations on AMC V-8 automatic radiators?

Also brass or aluminum for bumpy roads use?

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
Muddie has been running great and brakes are great.
Ended up using a Griffin radiator.
Modified the mount to work with the Be Cool radiator mounting kit. (basically just rubber spacers with bronze bushing)

Getting the youngest daughter hooked on Jeeping :)